Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish Independence discussion area

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Some of us were calling it two weeks back. That amount of undecided will always skew to the status quo. Salmond needed a solid 60% Yes vote to make a Yes victory possible (and allow for last minute change of mind, complacency etc.).
    40% rock solid and the other 10% per cent dithering made the outcome inevitable. The only thing playing into his hands was the cartoonish antics of the Westminster brigade over the last 10 days.

Don't be ridiculous. When votes skew to the status quo it's generally reflected in the polls. In this case the polls went YES a week before, however temporarily. Also there was never any complacency.

And stopping treating today's poll as more scientific than any other. It's probably NO but the margin if error in these polls is greater than normal because this is a very unusual vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

BBC live...

D.U.P & SF MP's say they want talks immeadiately with Westmininster, regarding future of N I,in light of promises made to Scots.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I think there are tallys. Appeared to be Tally Men/Women at the count centres, and Tally has been mentioned at least once or twice by the panel on the BBC.

No very obvious in any count I have seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

NIMAN wrote: »
    In what way?

Because devolution will unleash a renewed vigour to go it alone.
    The UK isn't working for a lot of people in Scotland, that is the real result here.
    In N.I. the UK is seriously ill for demographic reasons.
    It's a mess tbh. A bigger one than I thought, before this Scottish debate began.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Don't be ridiculous. When votes skew to the status quo it's generally reflected in the polls. In this case the polls went YES a week before, however temporarily. Also there was never any complacency.

And stopping treating today's poll as more scientific than any other. It's probably NO but the margin if error in these polls is greater than normal because this is a very unusual vote.

Track my previous posts and see when I started saying the vote would probably be No by a larger margin than the polls were showing. I didn't rig Boards and I don't have a time-travel machine.

I think Irish nationalists/republicans are going take any defeat worse than some Scots but only in a meaningless vicarious way.

No they aren't. Politically this is a victory, either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

gladrags wrote: »
    BBC live...

D.U.P & SF MP's say they want talks immeadiately with Westmininster, regarding future of N I,in light of promises made to Scots.

I would like to see a No. 10 spokesperson deny that they need this right now like they need a hole in the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I think Irish nationalists/republicans are going take any defeat worse than some Scots but only in a meaningless vicarious way.

Ye, there is something sensual about a .762mm discharge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I post on British political forums and there are daily anti Irish rants by many of the users, from Scottish, Welsh, English people etc. Maybe I read too much stuff from the internet, as I read an awful lot of anti Irish stuff from Digitalspy forums, daily mail, daily telegraph on a regular basis. Perhaps the internet isn't that representative, I surely hope it isn't.

As an English person who plays Irish trad music, I've got a few comments about 'paddies' or 'potatoes'.

I've never, ever heard any real vitriol or hatred towards the Irish, Welsh or Scottish aside from joking about national stereotypes. Of course the internet isn't representative.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I hope power does get devolved. In fact I'm all for a federal United Kingdom based on the US model with parliaments in the four historic regions and Westminster serving as the federal capitol.

Of course this would involve drawing up a constitution but that wouldn't be a bad thing and would actually serve to strengthen the Union long term.

Power will be devolved, it will be like introducing woodworm into your house, things will go swimmingly for years but then the main beam on your roof will snap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Head firmly in the sand as usual. The Union is under threat tonight, it will survive but only just. That has serious implications, power will be devolved and people get used to power. The Union is in terminal decline.

I don't know that it's in terminal decline, but the belief that the union is somehow better than ever is frankly delusional. There is plenty of discontent in different parts of the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Power will be devolved, it will be like introducing woodworm into your house, things will go swimmingly for years but then the main beam on your roof will snap.
    I hope power does get devolved. In fact I'm all for a federal United Kingdom based on the US model with parliaments in the four historic regions and Westminster serving as the federal capitol.

Of course this would involve drawing up a constitution but that wouldn't be a bad thing and would actually serve to strengthen the Union long term.

brummytom wrote: »
    As an English person who plays Irish trad music, I've got a few comments about 'paddies' or 'potatoes'..

Ya have to be half Iris so then, ???

Track my previous posts and see when I started saying the vote would probably be No by a larger margin than the polls were showing. I didn't rig Boards and I don't have a time-travel machine.

Yeah. The vote isn't in. All you have is another poll.

Some new info - Edinburgh postal
    vote 90%. Good for no. But that actual data.

I don't think so, the cat is out of the bag.

The last two weeks or so have changed the political landscape.

In Brussels tonight there are Scottish flags flying in support of independence,the Belgians of course have a huge i nterest.

A lot of International interest.

Lets try to see it from the Scots perspective,your SF remark is petty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I miss Peter Snow and his swingometer.

I miss Peter Snow and his swingometer.

A swing from the last referendum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,958 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

What time will early results be announced?

brummytom wrote: »
    As an English person who plays Irish trad music, I've got a few comments about 'paddies' or 'potatoes'.

I've never, ever heard any real vitriol or hatred towards the Irish, Welsh or Scottish aside from joking about national stereotypes. Of course the internet isn't representative.

Well said brummy.

• Advertisement

I don't know that it's in terminal decline, but the belief that the union is somehow better than ever is frankly delusional. There is plenty of discontent in different parts of the UK.

There are huge areas of disenfranchisement in the UK. The boat has been rocked tonight, and it is by no means secure.
    Promises have been made, if they aren't met (and I don't think they can) then the rot continues. The narrow No win will count for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gintonious wrote: »

About 1 am, I'll retire to the bed and BBC radio 4 see how long I last! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

"My poll at St Ninian’s found 144 Yes, to 105 No. A further 72 people would not say how they voted."

http://m.newsletter.co.uk/news/regional/news-letter-exit-poll-suggests-late-voters-leant-yes-1-6308540

About 3.50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Any kind of federal system they could set up would end up looking more like Yugoslavia than USA. A handful of small countries with the slightly bigger one dominating the rest. And look how that ended.

Too early to say.

• Advertisement

And look how that ended.

NATO will bomb England?

Can ye ne imagine an actual army of four million marching on London.

Impressive polls.

Reiketsu wrote: »
    "My poll at St Ninian’s found 144 Yes, to 105 No. A further 72 people would not say how they voted."

ttp://m.newsletter.co.uk/news/regional/news-letter-exit-poll-suggests-late-voters-leant-yes-1-6308540

I wasn't entirely joking when I said a late surge in drunken Yes votes. There is also going to be the inevitable controversy about people who voted the wrong way - ie. I voted Yes to stay in and she voted No to the UK. I haven't seen a ballot paper so I don't know how clear they're making it but that Gore victory / loss in Florida does loom especially if it turns out to be decided on a knife edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It's all about a devolved federation!

I wasn't entirely joking when I said a late surge in drunken Yes votes. There is also going to be the inevitable controversy about people who voted the wrong way - ie. I voted Yes to stay in and she voted No to the UK. I haven't seen a ballot paper so I don't know how clear they're making it but that Gore victory / loss in Florida does loom especially if it turns out to be decided on a knife edge.

I think the question is a clear 'should Scotland be independent?' So I don't think anyone has any excuse for getting it wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

If the No vote prevails tonight, I can say another referendum within about 5 years. Given how close the vote is at the moment, it could quite well prevail then.

A younger demographic then, combined with a population pissed off when the British government fails to deliver the many promises that the No campaign have made would surely change it.

And they will fail to deliver, it'll be put on the back burner until after the next election I can guarantee it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

gladrags wrote: »
    I don't think so, the cat is out of the bag.

The last two weeks or so have changed the political landscape.

In Brussels tonight there are Scottish flags flying in support of independence,the Belgians of course have a huge i nterest.

A lot of International interest.

Lets try to see it from the Scots perspective,your SF remark is petty.

Like the myth that when Celtic win the football all Dublin goes mad..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

NATO will bomb England?

That was Kosovo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I don't know how legitimate it is but I saw on Twitter that it simply asks if Scotland should be an independent country and you cross the yes or no box. Just thought I'd pass this along even if it might only be as useful as the YouGov polls :)

It's the clearest ballot paper ever. Google it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

What's the EU said on their end I assume If they vote for independence they will not be automatically invited to the EU and many many targets and such like will be needed to be met if joining is even an option. Same with the currency has it not already been said the pound is not an option. Wont the EU be making it really difficult to join as they Don’t want EU countries splitting up.

Doesn't matter.... Spain WILL veto Scotland joining the EU until the end if time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Any kind of federal system they could set up would end up looking more like Yugoslavia than USA. A handful of small countries with the slightly bigger one dominating the rest. And look how that ended.

Devolution of the historic countries won't work in England. It's too big relative to the rest.

A federal UK will see England split into regional assemblies, North, Midlands, south west, home counties and London

First one coming up now..

Lot of people with no experience in politics, elections or statistics questioning the value of a poll with a sample of over 2 thousand people. Awesome.

@britology_: Scottish Tory leader says that pollsters are out of touch with Scotland and have got the 'no' prediction wrong #ScotlandDecides #indyref

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I haven't seen a ballot paper so I don't know how clear they're making it

Very.
    Should Scotland be an independent country?

[ ] Yes

[ ] No

Apparantly the pollsters mis predicted the 1997 welsh referendum.

Unlikely in this case.

There was no issue of fraud or people turned away from polling booths on dubious pretences, at least that we know about. There is also a process whereby a result is declared by a returning officer, which doesn't exist in the USA.

The question couldn't have been clearer. There are no hanging chads or butterfly ballots in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

twinytwo wrote: »
    Doesn't matter.... Spain WILL veto Scotland joining the EU until the end if time

I thought the veto rule had been eliminated from EU politics.

BBC Live...

SNP say there will be a revolt if westminister promises are not met.

Election 8 months away,Westminister must meet Scottlish demands (SNP)

Orkney turn out 84%..90% turn out in other areas.

If it is a yes win by more than 10% I want the UN to look at it.

Some funny stuff going on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If it is a "no" i'd say the world will have a strange view of the Scots. Scotland the brave? *cringe*

I'm not surprised at all that Spain are strongly opposed to all this. They're concerned about what it'll do to strengthen the Catalan desire for independence.

Lot of people with no experience in politics, elections or statistics questioning the value of a poll with a sample of over 2 thousand people. Awesome.

Anniymous poster on the web with no credentials attacking people who question a poll. Awesomer.

The problem isn't the 2000. It's the selection.

• Advertisement

I think the question is a clear 'should Scotland be independent?' So I don't think anyone has any excuse for getting it wrong!

It should be. Anybody posting here whatever their view clearly has the ability to cast a valid vote. I'm more thinking of crap that a newspaper editor will dream up if the result is really tight. Finding 10 dimwits out of a 4,000,000 strong electorate wouldn't present a problem. I wrote "Yes" in an earlier post and somebody took me up wrong as predicting a Yes vote. Its that easy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement