Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish Independence discussion area

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Did Gordon Brown save the Union?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

efb wrote: »

Did I read somewhere that they're considering renaming Edinburgh Elizabethstown if the Noes win it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

No, but he'll take credit for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

it's looking like a no so far by the 86.45% turnout...

1. live stats
    2. live trading market (closing soon offering x130 y'odds at moment)

sure they'll be asked again next year, then again, and again maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Adam Bolton is now ordering the junior staff to stop smoking in the loos and setting off fire alarms in Dundee. I knew he'd start drinking once the wee small hours set in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭Ould Mr Brennan

A lot of people fail to recognise the Scots are simply too proud to be British to ever vote for independence, its not really an awful lot to do with the economy.

Your fishing Rod stopped catching long ago ;) Nobody truly cares. The Scots have voted how they see fit and best of luck to them whatever the outcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

J Mysterio wrote: »
    No, but he'll take credit for it.

I do think that him taking a leading role in the better together campaign really helped galvanise that campaign. He delivered a very powerful speech earlier in the week that spoke to a lot of people, I do not think that Alistair Darling could have done the same. A lot of people are wondering where was this Gordon Brown at the last general election

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Joe Doe wrote: »
    sure they'll be asked again next year, then again, and again maybe?

Scotland will never go independent, never.

NI is the only country that could break off from the UK. And that wouldn't be for another 30-40 years at the earliest and would take exceptional circumstances, i.e. almost all catholics to get on board with a UI, something which looks quite unlikely.

Scotland and Wales will never go independent under any circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Scottish UKIP guy on BBC is like a parody :D

I do think that him taking a leading role in the better together campaign really helped galvanise that campaign. He delivered a very powerful speech earlier in the week that spoke to a lot of people, I do not think that Alistair Darling could have done the same. A lot of people are wondering where was this Gordon Brown at the last general election

Thats true. The man suffers from depression. The PM job was one he was incapable of doing. This was something he cared about. No matter how cynical I get (and I can go real dark) there is no substitute for caring about something. He wasn't faking during that speech. Darling just comes across as another politician in a shiny suit. Salmond just reminds me of Nixon. Never met the man but thats the camera for you.

http://youtu.be/J39bBV7CBJk

They booted the wimpish waif Darling and brought in Big Bruiser Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

What's the craic here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Inverclyde

Yes 27243
    NO 27329
    Rejected 29

Inverclyde:
    Yes: 27,243
    no: 27,329
    Narrow no

• Advertisement

86 votes

Inverclyde would have been an area that yes would definitely have thought they would have won. Should get interesting in next hour with some bigger declarations, including probably at least one Lanarkshire. While it looks like a no victory now, it is worth remembering where the yes campaign started from, 2 years ago this would have been a good yes result, where as approximately 2 weeks ago they would have been unhappy with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Is 5am a realistic expectation for the likes of Glasgow, Edinburgh etc etc to start announcing their results? I possibly can stay awake for another 90 minutes, but not beyond that.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Is 5am a realistic expectation for the likes of Glasgow, Edinburgh etc etc to start announcing their results? I possibly can stay awake for another 90 minutes, but not beyond that.

Looks like everything is being pushed back a bit, the only one I hear that will be sooner than expected is Aberdeen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Robert Peston hard to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

cmon get some more results in cant listening to these syncophants any longer

Is the final result based on number of places voting one way or the other or the amount of votes for either side? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

fr336 wrote: »
    Is the final result based on number of places voting one way or the other or the amount of votes for either side? :o

Total votes.

Scottish UKIP guy on BBC is like a parody :D

Sad thing is that he is an MEP for Scotland, had the Greens gotten as much coverage across UK media as UKIP they would have probably taken that seat. That would be much less embarrassing than having a UKIP MEP

NIMAN wrote: »
    Total votes.

Many thanks. Who knows...5 of 32 only so far. Of course the smug experts have been calling it for a week now anyway. And they keep calling it again and again.

Sad thing is that he is an MEP for Scotland, had the Greens gotten as much coverage across UK media as UKIP they would have probably taken that seat. That would be much less embarrassing than having a UKIP MEP

Can't have some "hippies' acting like human beings in politics now!

Yep 42:58 I reckon sleep time

Yep 42:58 I reckon sleep time

5 places out of 32....

Many thanks. Who knows...5 of 32 only so far. Of course the smug experts have been calling it for a week now anyway. And they keep calling it again and again.

The unpredictables (but we kind of knew cos everybody knows everybody on the islands) are in and its a No. Smug won't be opening the champagne until one of the big Urbans comes in No. The fact is every single one of Scotlands councils can vote No and Edinburgh and Glasgow voting Yes would swing it. Which opens up a terrifying can of worms.

Aberdeenshire another no. Alex not hanging around

• Advertisement

5 places out of 32....

And the tallies- come on! There are no hidden votes

The unpredictables (but we kind of knew cos everybody knows everybody on the islands) are in and its a No. Smug won't be opening the champagne until one of the big Urbans comes in No. The fact is every single one of Scotlands councils can vote No and Edinburgh and Glasgow voting Yes would swing it. Which opens up a terrifying can of worms.

My truckload of popcorn won't be going to waste then :pac:

Renfrewshire

Yes 55466
    No 62067
    Rejected 79

Dundee declaring

Dundee is a yes!

No win 62K No to 55K yes
    Dundee 39K No 53K Yes
    First yes win

Dundee

Yes 53620
    No 39880
    Rejected 79 I think

First yes

57% Dundee say Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Only 6,385 votes in it still. Will go down to the wire I reckon.

• Advertisement

It's back to even stevens 50/50 after Dundee Y@57.35%

If no, will the next referendum be likely be 2018, ye will have ye referendum whether ye likes it or not...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭bluemartin

Dundee is a yes!

About time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Had to laugh at Huw Edwards on BBC News while the Outer Hebrides results were being read out earlier in Scots Gaelic. "As I Welsh speaker I should be able to understand some of this" spouts Huw. And of course he couldn't. Welsh & Gàidhlig are at the opposite ends of the Celtic spectrum. English is closer to German than Welsh is to Scottish. Some bluffer is our Huw.

49:51 as it stands

Orkney & Shetland will break away and take its oil

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Colinf1212

NI is the only country that could break off from the UK. And that wouldn't be for another 30-40 years at the earliest and would take exceptional circumstances, i.e. almost all catholics to get on board with a UI, something which looks quite unlikely.

30-40 years time Catholics will be in the majority by far more than 50 percent (so won't need almost all catholics) and they'll be much younger (more open to change) than the Protestants. Just gotta hope the Orange bigots stay around and the fleg-flyers and the racist attacks in East Belfast and there's no doubt we'll get independence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

This could be back on. If the yes can get glasgow they might just steal it

My truckload of popcorn won't be going to waste then :pac:

Nope. I'm hoping for a No. But urban voters have completely different motives and values than sheep farrmers and fishermen in the Shetlands. We're talking along the lines of predicting a Presidential vote based on the Aran islands and maybe West Limerick. Dublin and Cork yet to declare. So nobody should be betting their house on either outcome. But as it stands, based on the body language of the insiders, I'd print "Scotland Votes No" and sleep soundly.

UKIP talking about importance of UK for business irony regarding opinion on EU

Odds are going short again, only x70 x65! ROI for Yes maj now, still dacent.

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    This could be back on. If the yes can get glasgow they might just steal it

NOT AT ALL

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement