Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scottish Independence discussion area

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Beefy78 wrote: »
    But Ireland and Scotland are two completely different cases and were in the UK for two completely different reasons.

It seems like people here are trying to draw a comparison which doesn't exist.

Not really, Scotland classes itself as a country and every self respecting country should aspire to govern itself surely?

There is never a perfect time to go for independence, there is always a huge element of the unknown.
    However, I think this was the time they could have done it. For the time-being the oil reserves are still there in the North Sea, they could have used money generated from this resource in the short term to build up a more self sustainable and long term economic strategy for the future.

If the chance ever comes along again for Scotland to vote again then chances are the oil will be gone and it'll be that bit harder to build something from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Whatever way you look at it the only winners are the SNP. Westminster has a fairly serious issue to address in the fact that 45% of the population of the second biggest region of the UK doesn't want anything to do with them.

The Tories will be fairly happy I'd say. In the long run they don't want anything more to do with Scotland than they do with NI. They'd offload the pair of them if they had half a chance.

Not sure about that, they may struggle to be politically relevant now that the big issue they always pushed for got a No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    as expected, the chance of a lifetime squandered...seems fear got the better of the scots after all, like they have really had all courage and self-esteem hammered and bred out of them...and i reckon non-scottish eu nationals living there may have played a role as well...life goes on...

When the Irish stop voting for corrupt gombeen politicians they may be in a position to criticise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

So, to sum-up.
    What part of him holding an opinion got your goat the most?

There must be something?
    People usually aren't as snide as you without something behind it?
    (Unless that's just what you are like?)

Probably the whole po-faced 'I'm dissappointed in them as a Nation' bit.
    Along with the over-reaction to being called out on it.

Didn't really get my goat - I just found it amusing - that's just what I'm like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Whatever way you look at it the only winners are the SNP. Westminster has a fairly serious issue to address in the fact that 45% of the population of the second biggest region of the UK doesn't want anything to do with them.

The Tories will be fairly happy I'd say. In the long run they don't want anything Xmore to do with Scotland than they do with NI. They'd offload the pair of them if they had half a chance.

Please tell me you're joking? You didn't see any of the No campaign then? (run by Alisdair Darling)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Well the scots have spoken, don't understand why a nation would not want to go it alone to be an independent sovereign country,and to takes its stand on tbe world stage.

Won't look at brave heart in the same way again...back into the attic with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Probably the whole po-faced 'I'm dissappointed in them as a Nation' bit.
    Along with the over-reaction to being called out on it.

Didn't really get my goat - I just found it amusing - that's just what I'm like.

Glad I amused, I'm here all week folks, po-face included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

LorMal wrote: »
    Please tell me you're joking? You didn't see any of the No campaign then? (run by Alisdair Darling)

Alistair Darling is a Labour MP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The people of Scotland took a look at the options , and made a rational decision based on the information supplied.

That is what happened folks, they did not bottle it, they are not stupid and democracy works

We can only hope the same happens when the NI question is put to a vote and people on the southern side of the border think with their heads and not their armchair patriot hearts

• Advertisement

Alistair Darling is a Labour MP.

True enough fair point. But surely no one can argue that the Tories are not Unionists!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Scottish independence would strengthen the conservatives in Westminster. It is possible that it could be a generation before labour would be in power again. Hence Darling was campaigning so hard and Miliband was panicking.

Cameron would have been concerned about his personal legacy....being known as the PM who presided over the break up of the UK. The wider conservative party would have cried fake tears, whilst at the same time rubbing their hands with respect to their dominance of polictics for the forseeable future.

How long did it take them to seize the initiative and push hard for English devolution? English MPs voting on English matters. It took about a nanosecond. Clearly shows their agenda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

VinLieger wrote: »
    We can only hope the same happens when the NI question is put to a vote and people on the southern side of the border think with their heads and not their armchair patriot hearts

I was all for Scotland going for independence because I thought that as a country they should at least try and stand on their own two feet without any stabilizers provided by London.

The NI question is different, it's not even a country...not sure what you would class it as besides a basketcase that nobody really wants for the time-being, at least not until it matures and learns to behave itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

How long before I can start taking the piss out of my Scottish British mates?

Love that to happen and one would hope that the unionists in the six counties would accept defeat as graciously as the yes voters in Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

The Tories will gain from this result.
    Dave C tying the Lothian question up with greater devolution means they'll placate middle England. Labour will be forced to change the way it uses its Scots MP at Westminster and by merely putting out the ideas and delivering something they gain credility in places where they don't have any.
    The Devo Max / sorting out Scottish MPs at Westminster will be a big stick to smash over the Labour Party.head coming into tge nrxt election. Ironic in that Labour championed it and the Tory party hated it I can see them stealing a march on Labour and using the SNP attempts to push things along as a way if further kicking Labout where it hurts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Result as expected.
    Gonna grab the popcorn and watch as English Nationalists and Welsh ones and NI one pull the whole thing asunder.
    Cameron knows that devolution on the scale he promised hasn't a hope of getting through parliament. He will be able to blame others.
    This is only starting imo, the battle is won but the war is going against the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I presume I'm not the only one to have made money from this?

Couldn't believe the bookies had this at 1/4 for the 'No' early this week. There may be no such bet as a 'Sure Thing', but this was surely as close as you can get to buying money.

Result was always a foregone conclusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

When the Irish stop voting for corrupt gombeen politicians they may be in a position to criticise.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Come on surely you have something better to try to wind up some silly posters than this childish ****!

So is the union stronger or weaker ? In the bigger scale of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

How long did it take them to seize the initiative and push hard for English devolution? English MPs voting on English matters. It took about a nanosecond. Clearly shows their agenda

That was in Cameron's last manifesto as well.

Pragmatically it would be political suicide to push more power through to Scotland without some redistribution of power to an English assembly or excluding non-English MPs from voting on English affairs. English nationalism has been on the rise for 20 years and a lot of the 50+ in England are getting tired of what is perceived to be preferential treatment for those north of the border.

• Advertisement

Scottish independence would strengthen the conservatives in Westminster. It is possible that it could be a generation before labour would be in power again. Hence Darling was campaigning so hard and Miliband was panicking.

Cameron would have been concerned about his personal legacy....being known as the PM who presided over the break up of the UK. The wider conservative party would have cried fake tears, whilst at the same time rubbing their hands with respect to their dominance of polictics for the forseeable future.

It's the Conservative (and Unionist) Party. They are passionate about the Union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

That vote will never happen. NI would never vote to leave the UK in favour of us. Barstool nationalism is one thing but when push comes to shove, common sense will prevail. They are going to get greater decision making power themselves as a result of this vote today.

realies wrote: »
    Love that to happen and one would hope that the unionists in the six counties would accept defeat as graciously as the yes voters in Scotland.

I think you may have misunderstood me, the south voting NO to a United Ireland is what I was referring to as the logical and reasoned choice similar to Scotland voting No to leave the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

They might as well hand back their flag and adopt the Georges cross, after all that what the majority seems to want. Scotland an English county, that's really what they want it to be.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Berserker wrote: »
    That vote will never happen. NI would never vote to leave the UK in favour of us.

Read the Good Friday agreement, it can happen very easily and once it starts it has to keep happening at regular intervals

iDave wrote: »
    Not sure about that, they may struggle to be politically relevant now that the big issue they always pushed for got a No.

A landslide would have done that, 55/45 shows there is a serious proportion of the population of Scotland backing them. They'll be relevant in Scotland anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

for shame.

Millions and millions of people throughout history who have fought and died for freedom and independence just had their graves spat on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Supercell wrote: »
    They might as well hand back their flag and adopt the Georges cross, after all that what the majority seems to want. Scotland an English county, that's really what they want it to be.

That's so stupid a post I'm not sure why I responded! Quite an insult.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Result as expected.
    Gonna grab the popcorn and watch as English Nationalists and Welsh ones and NI one pull the whole thing asunder.
    Cameron knows that devolution on the scale he promised hasn't a hope of getting through parliament. He will be able to blame others.
    This is only starting imo, the battle is won but the war is going against the UK.

It's over. Forget about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Life goes on over here today lads, the YES followers I work with are taking it in their stride, obviously dissapointed. The NO campaigners are worried about the 45% showing.

Tons of tv cameras to catch my hungover self this morning.

• Advertisement

It's the Conservative (and Unionist) Party. They are passionate about the Union.

That's the party line. If you don't think they would drop NI like sh1t out of a goose if the chance arose you are misguided.

for shame.

Millions and millions of people throughout history who have fought and died for freedom and independence just had their graves spat on.

Wow mindless rhetoric much?

The democratic process worked end of. People like you who cry when they don't get exactly what they want out of democracy are whats broken with Irish politics.
    Newsflash sometimes yours is not the only opinion in the room.

for shame.

Yeah...and did you ever watch Braveheart? That William Wallace huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Read the Good Friday agreement, it can happen very easily and once it starts it has to keep happening at regular intervals

That was just another carrot to get Republicans on side. We, the RoI, voted in a ridiculous majority to remove any claim on that land in the same referendum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Mel Gibson will be turning in his grave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Wow mindless rhetoric much?

The democratic process worked end of. People like you who cry when they don't get exactly what they want out of democracy are whats broken with Irish politics.
    Newsflash sometimes yours is not the only opinion in the room.

You mean like voting again because the suits didn't get the result they wanted??

That's the party line. If you don't think they would drop NI like sh1t out of a goose if the chance arose you are misguided.

Why is it the party line?

hadepsx wrote: »
    Mel Gibson will be turning in his grave

Is he dead yet :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

realies wrote: »
    Is he dead yet :-)

think he meant wallace (who, afaik, doesn't have a grave or at least isn't in one piece)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Yeah...and did you ever watch Braveheart? That William Wallace huh?

While it may have been worded a little on the dramatic side, there is a valid point to be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

think he meant wallace

Insert [That's the joke]gif here

think he meant wallace (who, afaik, doesn't have a grave or at least isn't in one piece)

Eh no. It was irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

A question that someone may have already answered; has any state/region in the world ever turned down independence voluntarily in history?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Not2Good wrote: »
    A question that someone may have already answered; has any state/region in the world ever turned down independence voluntarily in history?

Apparently not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Somebody mentioned quebec, twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Newfoundland 1948

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

interesting question...i’m sure similar polls have gone no elsewhere...but will have to do some research on that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Somebody mentioned quebec, twice.

Thank God there is at least one other!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

The people of Scotland took a look at the options , and made a rational decision based on the information supplied.

That is what happened folks, they did not bottle it, they are not stupid and democracy works

What does that mean? It's the vaguest, cliched soundbite I've ever heard.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement