Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Chelsea Sunday April 27th KO 14:05 SS1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Utd unbeaten in their group and knocked out by last years winner.

Chealsea are 90 mins away from a place in the final.

Arsenal too, knocked out by last year's winners. Weren't too bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Knex. wrote: »
    Arsenal too, knocked out by last year's winners. Weren't too bad either.

Yeah true and didn't city make it out of the group stage for the first time.

So I dont think english teams done too bad after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Get them early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

kryogen wrote: »
    Of course, the huge drop off from United, Chelsea being without a decent striker and dropping ridiculous points, City dropping points in places you wouldnt expect at all and totally ****ting the bag on the run in, Arsenal being, well, Arsenal, all leads people to say it is the weakest league in years.

The top teams have all fallen off in terms of consistency.

As I said, it doesnt matter anyway

What a crock of absolute horse****. I wonder if people actually believe this **** when they say it.

The points totals this season will show that;

1) the winning total will likely be 89 points or thereabouts, which is higher than the average for the last 5 years.

2) the top four teams will have accumulated significantly more points than they usually do

Being aware of the above 2 points makes it clear that the league is actually the most competitive we've seen for quite some time. Clear to anyway who isn't;

1) pushing an agenda
    2) retarded

Mr Alan wrote: »
    What a crock of absolute horse****. I wonder if people actually believe this **** when they say it.

The points totals this season will show that;

1) the winning total will likely be 89 points or thereabouts, which is higher than the average for the last 5 years.

2) the top four teams will have accumulated significantly more points than they usually do

Being aware of the above 2 points makes it clear that the league is actually the most competitive we've seen for quite some time. Clear to anyway who isn't;

1) pushing an agenda
    2) retarded

Is there really a need for that? Jesus, Alan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Is there really a need for that? Jesus, Alan.

Yes there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I agreed with everything up to the retarded bit but maybe that's me showing my age!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

How any United fan can keep a straight face while saying the quality of the league is poor this season is beyond me considering there was no title race last year. United won it at a canter but it's clear the opposition was extremely poor last season.
    you have 3 teams competing this season.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Of course, the huge drop off from United, Chelsea being without a decent striker and dropping ridiculous points, City dropping points in places you wouldnt expect at all and totally ****ting the bag on the run in, Arsenal being, well, Arsenal, all leads people to say it is the weakest league in years.

Did you find it hard to keep a straight face typing that?

Show me another league in the Europe that it takes 11 wins in a row from the turn of the new year (whilst sitting in the top4) just to guarantee CL with still three games to go.

This has been one of the hardest seasons in years which has seen a number of top managers lose their jobs simply because the fell a few points behind, but with it being so tough knowing it wasnt good enough.

its also no coincidence that the majority talking this crap is getting rolled out by Utd supporters.

Its going to take north of 84points to land the title this season, and more than likely 3 other teams with 79 points or more in touching distance when the final whistle is blown on May 11th.

weak season me arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I'm Dangerously in Love with this team at the minute and its not even my B'day yet. I keep telling the lads I am... Sasha Fierce gone in the head like. I was the same in 05 when we only won it 4 times but got it up to 5. The girlfriend must think she's Beyonce with the pounding I'd be giving her every Sunday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

hefferboi wrote: »
    I'm Dangerously in Love with this team at the minute and its not even my B'day yet. I keep telling the lads I am... Sasha Fierce gone in the head like. I was the same in 05 when we only won it 4 times but got it up to 5. The girlfriend must think she's Beyonce with the pounding I'd be giving her every Sunday night.

Too much information, ahhh noooooahhhh!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

tumblr_inline_mz2b2n1zg91s8aoba.gif

Think I'll leave the thread for a bit, heff just kinda eh, ruined my Saturday evening

Panthro wrote: »
    Too much information, ahhh noooooahhhh!:pac:

I hope I don't get her preggers cos she'll be having Destiny's Child (my nickname is Destiny). In all honesty, though, The Writing's on the Wall and has been for some time with this club. After what the Yanks put us through I feel like a Survivor, and I know the players feel the same. 11th of May will see our Destiny Fulfilled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

:D

Last season City lost 6 dames and drew 9. This season they've lost 6 and drew 5. This season they have 2.18 points per game. Last season it was 2.05.

Last season Chelsea had 1.97 points per game, this season it's 2.14.

Last season Arsenal had 1.92 points per game, this season it's 2.00.

But yea, the top teams have all fallen of in consistency and this year the league has been ****er compared to any other time. Ever. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The weakest league in years yet the defending champions who ran away with the league and won it by 11 points can't even get into the top 6 this season.

Seems to me there are some very upset and disheartened fans of last years champions who need to make excuses for a poor season by there standards.

But hey they know that there team should be champions again next season after finishing 7th this season and pumping £200m into there squad nothing will get in the way of them becoming champions next season as the won't have a midweek game.

Funnily enough I've only really seen United fans say its the weakest league in years.

I hope I don't get her preggers cos she'll be having Destiny's Child (my nickname is Destiny). In all honesty, though, The Writing's on the Wall and has been for some time with this club. After what the Yanks put us through I feel like a Survivor, and I know the players feel the same. 11th of May will see our Destiny Fulfilled.

Somebody wheel out hangballlouie's gif again. Heff needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Funnily enough I've only really seen United fans say its the weakest league in years.

Man United must be even weaker than we realise then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

5starpool wrote: »
    I doubt Chelsea's team will be that much weaker, although with Ramires and (hopefully, presumably) Hazard out as well as Eto'o, Liverpool can get the win or at least the draw. It'll be a bloody tough game either way against a Mourinho team. Much as I dislike the man, he knows to to organise a team well. If Suarez and Sturridge are on their game though there is no reason we can't get a positive result. It certainly won't be the reserve team defence I've seen mentioned a few times. In perhaps his last game vs Liverpool (possible European games notwithstanding) it may well be fated for Torres to score at Anfield one last time.

Where is he off to?
    K-9 wrote: »
    Seriously, normally we'd be happy enough to take a point and I'd take it in this one. 1-1 with hopefully Sturridge coming on to get the equaliser.

**** that.
    We win.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Our Year wrote: »
    Where is he off to?

No idea, but I can see him leaving Chelsea this summer anyhow unless he doesn't want to take a wage cut elsewhere I guess.

Somebody wheel out hangballlouie's gif again. Heff needs it.

I've lost the plot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Agueroooo wrote: »

Show me another league in the Europe that it takes 11 wins in a row from the turn of the new year (whilst sitting in the top4) just to guarantee CL with still three games to go.

This has been one of the hardest seasons in years which has seen a number of top managers lose their jobs simply because the fell a few points behind, but with it being so tough knowing it wasnt good enough.

its also no coincidence that the majority talking this crap is getting rolled out by Utd supporters.

Its going to take north of 84points to land the title this season, and more than likely 3 other teams with 79 points or more in touching distance when the final whistle is blown on May 11th.

weak season me arse.

One team winning it by a distance doesn't automatically make it a poor standard, just means one team were a lot better relative to everyone else. Maybe the team that won it were fantastic and everyone else was merely very good? Or the team that won it were merely "good" and everyone else was just decent? The point being how tight it is doesn't mean anything about the overall standard of the league, for example if we took Celtic out of the SPL, that would make it a lot tighter but would that make it a better league? Of course it wouldn't.

And if last season was a poor standard as you suggest, and the team that was by far the best last season has fallen away could would we not then not make the claim this season is merely just the "best of the rest" from last year battling it out?

You raise the point of the points totals this season relative to other years, but could the argument be made that perhaps it's not a case of the top teams being better this year it's a case of everyone else being worse which is making the top teams look better?

My point is, in a very round about way, it's impossible to say from one year to the next whether it's a poor year or a strong year, there's just too many variables. And Man Utd fans claiming it's a poor standard this year is ridiculous but likewise Liverpool fans saying it's a very high standard is equally ridiculous.

But what we can say is that 38 games is a long season and the team that comes out on top deserves to and has been the best team in that given season and this season that's going to be Liverpool (well barring an absolute meltdown)

One team winning it by a distance doesn't automatically make it a poor standard, just means one team were a lot better relative to everyone else. Maybe the team that won it were fantastic and everyone else was merely very good? Or the team that won it were merely "good" and everyone else was just decent? The point being how tight it is doesn't mean anything about the overall standard of the league, for example if we took Celtic out of the SPL, that would make it a lot tighter but would that make it a better league? Of course it wouldn't.

And if last season was a poor standard as you suggest, and the team that was by far the best last season has fallen away could would we not then not make the claim this season is merely just the "best of the rest" from last year battling it out?

You raise the point of the points totals this season relative to other years, but could the argument be made that perhaps it's not a case of the top teams being better this year it's a case of everyone else being worse which is making the top teams look better?

My point is, in a very round about way, it's impossible to say from one year to the next whether it's a poor year or a strong year, there's just too many variables. And Man Utd fans claiming it's a poor standard this year is ridiculous but likewise Liverpool fans saying it's a very high standard is equally ridiculous.

But what we can say is that 38 games is a long season and the team that comes out on top deserves to and has been the best team in that given season and this season that's going to be Liverpool (well barring an absolute meltdown)

Did you quote the right post ?

'Look at me, Look at me, Look at me'

Rumours Mourinho has stayed in London and not travelled to Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Travelling on his own, as he has a bug that he doesn't want to give to the players.
    Chelsea FC ‏@chelseafc 1m
    The squad has arrived in Liverpool. Jose Mourinho travelled separately due to feeling unwell & not wanting to pass it on to players. #CFC

Did you quote the right post ?

ya

ya

Just there is a few things in your post suggesting stuff I never said.

eg: me saying last season was poor etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

If I were a Boy, I'd be Dangerously in Love with Hefferboi. He is a Beautiful Liar, and a bit of a Diva, but I'm hoping he rings my Telephone cos I'm Drunk in Love with him and I'd love to stroke his Ego cos he gives me Sweet Dreams of him and I driving around like 03 Bonnie and Clyde, Until the End of Time.

2-0 Chelsea.

Just there is a few things in your post suggesting stuff I never said.

eg: me saying last season was poor etc etc

Oh right sorry, well I was sort of picking up on the points you made but expanded it to all the arguments that I've heard made about the quality of this season and last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Travelling on his own, as he has a bug that he doesn't want to give to the players.

You know, no matter what the score, if he doesn't wanna shake Rodgers' hand after the game, that'll be alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Agueroooo, in all honesty now...do you feel like a bit of a tit after posting that post?!

G'wannnnn outa that.....ya feel like bit of a tit!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

If I were a Boy, I'd be Dangerously in Love with Hefferboi. He is a Beautiful Liar, and a bit of a Diva, but I'm hoping he rings my Telephone cos I'm Drunk in Love with him and I'd love to stroke his Ego cos he gives me Sweet Dreams of him and I driving around like 03 Bonnie and Clyde, Until the End of Time.

2-0 Chelsea.

cartman_angry.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

You couldn't make that up:D:D:D

Oh wait, someone did:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

All signs of lower teams generally improving and well, actually fighting instead of being intimidated.

I'll give you Chelsea not having a decent striker though.

edit:As it appears I need to point this out, this is the argument I am hearing and the break down of it!

Have they though? Who has improved?

Swansea, Villa, Sunderland, Norwich, WBA, Fulham, West Ham have all got worse, or at the very least you can say none have really improved anyway

Hull, Cardiff and Palace were newly promoted, Hull have been consistent, Palace turned a huge corner after a managerial change, Cardiff on the way back down

Newcastle have gone backwards if anything, Southampton have remained about the same, Stoke are the usual mid table exciting team

That leaves you with the usual top 7/8 teams, Everton have picked up more points, it can be argued whether its due to them improving significantly or the others being worse, but they are unlikely to finish any higher then last year for example

Spurs have had the not exactly unusual roller coaster season, gonna finish where they normally do too probably

Liverpool have improved their points total significantly, they have played some great football, they have gone on one hell of a run.

City and Chelsea have not been up to their usual high standards in all honesty, United have been shockingly bad and Arsenal have still been Arsenal.

I was asked a question and I answered it, simple enough really, I do not necessarily buy into it being the weakest season in years, but since I have heard it plenty, and the poster asked me are people saying that, wondering how they could think it, I gave the reasoning behind the argument.

I can see the argument they are making, I have since gone into a little more detail with the argument, I dont have to agree with someones view point to be able to understand it

I would say it probably is alright :)

Most United fans I know saying it are doing so in response to the many years of opposition fans saying it to them and trying to give a bit back, mostly harmless of course, normal fan slagging.

Comes with the territory of success. As I have already said, Liverpool have gone on an outstanding run of victories, and will be worthy winners of the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

keep the heads lads,take no bait .. less than 24 hours to kick off

Even Basketball has gone to the dogs since United started having a mare.

Always said multi quote was overrated :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

hqdefault.jpg

He's been let out. And he's posted a pic. That would have taken an hour to link. Well played, Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

No jinxy stuff, but I honestly think Chelsea will 2-1 tomorrow. I can't believe the a lot of well respected pundits think that this one is going to be a straightforward pool win.

Always said multi quote was overrated :pac:

Replied as I read through the thread :o

Had quite the buzz off Mr Alans outrage along the way :D

No jinxy stuff, but I honestly think Chelsea will 2-1 tomorrow. I can't believe the a lot of well respected pundits think that this one is going to be a straightforward pool win.

Chelsea are surely going to be focusing all their energy on the Champions League now the title is pretty much gone, that is why so many (myself included) dont see much to suggest the Liverpool juggernaut is going to crash anytime soon (unfortunately)

Grayditch wrote: »
    He's been let out. And he's posted a pic. That would have taken an hour to link. Well played, Mike.

Don't mind him.

he posted that pic the second Mignolet saved the peno against Stoke.

its only after completing uploading now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Replies to every post but Chucky's.....hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I love it that Liverpool can only win the league cos

- of fewer games
    - been lucky with injuries
    - more penos
    - friendly refs
    - sycophantic media
    - "the league is weaker"
    - there's a 1 and/or a 4 in the year.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Replies to every post but Chucky's.....hehe.

Directed at me? I didnt reply to Alans either, do I have to reply to all of them? Eh, for your enjoyment consider my post at 9pm to be that too if you want. Its not my position, my argument so I dont really feel the need to go back and forth with it.

Points totals of the better teams is hardly a bar o meter for saying the league was tougher though, the better team can point to his points total and say, look! more points = better, where as a critic can say, yeah, more points because the rest of the fodder in the league has been worse then normal this year.

You can go round in circles all you want with it really, or you can use your eyes and make your own mind up on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Directed at me? I didnt reply to Alans either, do I have to reply to all of them? Eh, for your enjoyment consider my post at 9pm to be that too if you want. Its not my position, my argument so I dont really feel the need to go back and forth with it.

Points totals of the better teams is hardly a bar o meter for saying the league was tougher though, the better team can point to his points total and say, look! more points = better, where as a critic can say, yeah, more points because the rest of the fodder in the league has been worse then normal this year.

You can go round in circles all you want with it really, or you can use your eyes and make your own mind up on it.

That's all well and good but it doesn't exactly support your earlier post regarding the top teams.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement