Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foam roller

Options
  • 23-04-2014 8:12pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for a cheapish foam roller, online or real shop. can anyone recommend one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Have a TPT myself but understand they aren't cheap.

This one on argos might do the trick at €12.99: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9134427.htm

Plenty of stock about: http://www.checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=913%2F4427

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What's a TPT?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭munkee

Have one of these:

http://physioneeds.biz/ProductDetail.aspx/NEW_Atlas_Black_EVA_Foam_Rollers_6%22_x_18%22/ATL18

They have a shop in Irishtown, so you can try a few out.

I had a white foam roller but found it too soft quite quickly. The black one is harder and just right for me.

The hardcore option of course is a length of PVC pipe.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks, ordered that, hopefully it will help me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

The hardcore option of course is a length of PVC pipe.[/QUOTE]

Or you could get the pvc pipe and some plumbers lagging foam and tape it around it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Little bit late for the OP but may be helpful if others are reading.

I got a rumble roller for Christmas. It's on a totally different level to the foam rollers that I've used before. I wouldn't go back.

Those spikes look like they would provide a sadistic level of pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

a slitor is savage and great to get in deep in the hip flexors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Another vote for the rumble roller but I find it a bit harsh for my IT band and quads.
    4" wavin pipe is great for the calves, IT band and quads and if you want to go a bit deeper a lacrosse ball or two will work wonders. The 6" just doesn't go deep enough and the 2" is ok but can be tricky to use
    I've attached a pic of what I use, the stick being the one I dont really use

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

This will be effective for tight areas http://tinyurl.com/lufzbkf

And this type for regular use in either 4 or 6 inch http://tinyurl.com/nyp6qnq

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭frankeee

I have a trigger point foam roller which I find good, but I travel a fair bit so as an alternative I always keep a 2 litre bottle (coke or whatever) in the freezer and find this works great, and the icing helps as well. The other thing I find brilliant although not everyone can get their hands on them is a Boule (the french game) Brilliant for getting to those hard to reach places. I use it up against a wall rather than the floor. I like it deep but not that deep :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

frankeee wrote: »
    I have a trigger point foam roller which I find good, but I travel a fair bit so as an alternative I always keep a 2 litre bottle (coke or whatever) in the freezer and find this works great, and the icing helps as well. The other thing I find brilliant although not everyone can get their hands on them is a Boule (the french game) Brilliant for getting to those hard to reach places. I use it up against a wall rather than the floor. I like it deep but not that deep :eek:
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

donnacha wrote: »

Reading the reviews on amazon, this has to be my favorite:
    Use it daily on my Achilles Tendon. I can now train more, without fear of injury. Also when you travel you can put a bottle of wine inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Also when you travel you can put a bottle of wine inside

Fantastic! Had never thoought of that - though my preference would be whiskey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

Looking for my 1st roller too. Ignoring colours, has anyone tried the Tank or the USF as opposed to the Grid? They all look pretty much the same to me. Any preferences?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭munkee

I tried that Tank roller in the shop you linked to. I also tried something similar in my local gym. I found them both too soft for my needs and I felt the ridges and bumps made it harder to get at certain trigger points.

I got on better with this.

That, plus a variety of tennis/golf balls for more localised targetting seemed to work out best for me.

Advertisement