Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike/Helmet camera for commute?

• 23-04-2014 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Anyone use a bike or helmet camera for their commute and if so what do you use? Been looking at the the Contour Roam 2 of late. Don't wanna spend big bucks.

Reason being is I got knocked off the bike a few weeks ago by a woman pulling out in front of me. She admitted fault at the scene, but then her story changed when when Insurers got involved. She was trying to pin some blame on me. To cut a long story short, they eventually admitted fault but it took longer than it should to get sorted. I have no doubt that having a helmet cam at the time would have made the process a bit easier!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

DaveD wrote: »
    Anyone use a bike or helmet camera for their commute and if so what do you use? Been looking at the the Contour Roam 2 of late. Don't wanna spend big bucks.

Reason being is I got knocked off the bike a few weeks ago by a woman pulling out in front of me. She admitted fault at the scene, but then her story changed when when Insurers got involved. She was trying to pin some blame on me. To cut a long story short, they eventually admitted fault but it took longer than it should to get sorted. I have no doubt that having a helmet cam at the time would have made the process a bit easier!
    I thought Contour went bust?
    I have a Sony HDR AS15, I liked the slim housing better than the lumpy Go-pro shape. 150 will buy one now.
    Would you consider a dashcam in a dedicated housing?
    They are a much cheaper option.
    You can decent 720p water resistant versions for very little these days.
    That said the Sony has a massive range of accessories available, and I like to have wifi link so I can adjust the angle while in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I seen a review of that Sony AS15 and it was very good. Having said that the price of the older GO PRO 3 cameras are dropping fast as the new plus versions are out. Wait another few months and they will be a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

needs to be running all the time you're on the bike, so something built in that automatically records (loadsa storage) is what I'd go for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

For a insurance purposes any budget helmet camera will do which will cost you somewhere around the 100 euro mark, possibly even way less.

If you want HD footage then you can spend upwards of 400.

If there is no need yo determine minor detail in the video then go budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I used a HD drift Ghost every day. The quality is savage and the shape of the camera is perfect because it doesn't really catch any wind resistance when helmet mount.

I got it from action cameras in the UK.
    They customized a package deal with me for the bits i wanted because the premade deals on the site has some stuff i wanted but also some stuff i wouldn't use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

I have been using a go pro hero 3 black edition for about a year now. They are on the expensive side but you get what you pay for. The image quality is brilliant out of the go pro.

I already had an off while the camera was rolling, it was the other drivers fault. So the way I see my go pro has already paid for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

I have a ROAM 2 on my helmet and love it, so simple, flick the slider forward, camera on, away you go, cost me €150 about a month ago. I record my commute in 720p @60fps (to show a more realistic representation of speed) onto a Class 10 32GB micro SD card, only thing is because its a wide angle lens, other vehicles often look further away then they actually are, keep that in mind.

Don't even notice its there, unlike the GoPro I had years ago, fecking thing was like an air brake at motorway speeds.

For even cheaper option buy a ROAM 1 and upgrade it with the ROAM 2 firmware, will allow you record at 60FPS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Thanks for all the replies.
    KT10 wrote: »
    I have a ROAM 2 on my helmet and love it, so simple, flick the slider forward, camera on, away you go, cost me €150 about a month ago. I record my commute in 720p @60fps (to show a more realistic representation of speed) onto a Class 10 32GB micro SD card, only thing is because its a wide angle lens, other vehicles often look further away then they actually are, keep that in mind.

Don't even notice its there, unlike the GoPro I had years ago, fecking thing was like an air brake at motorway speeds.

For even cheaper option buy a ROAM 1 and upgrade it with the ROAM 2 firmware, will allow you record at 60FPS.

Where did you get it for €150? Cheapest i can find online is £149 sterling.

How do you cope with the fact it doesn't loop record? Do you have to format the card often?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyvegas22

can you get helmet cams that record front and back or do a 360 view?, just wondering because the idiots that i come in contact on the road usally come from behind and squeeze me up against the curb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

can you get helmet cams that record front and back or do a 360 view?, just wondering because the idiots that i come in contact on the road usally come from behind and squeeze me up against the curb?

Drive faster :P:P

Ive never seen a cam that records both ways man.
    Sure get 2 cameras, one facing each way:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Not yet as far as I know, but I am sure they are coming. For instance, have a look at the "panoramic video" clip in this news item. You can look around while video is playing back. This would be my ideal solution - mount it right on top of the helmet - if it's small and affordable of course!

http://fstoppers.com/360-degree-panoramic-video-next-big-thing-video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Yeah here is the kickstarter project for BublCam. This is what I need to save for next....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bublcam/bublcam-360o-camera-technology-for-everyone?ref=category

http://vimeo.com/78130259

Where did you get it for €150? Cheapest i can find online is £149 sterling.

How do you cope with the fact it doesn't loop record? Do you have to format the card often?

Cheers!
    Got it on Adverts.ie funnily enough, keep an eye on eBay and the likes.

It runs out of battery (3 - 3.5 hours I think) before memory so loop recording not an issue. When its plugged in charging I just clear the card of anything I don't want, the 32GB is plenty of room for my commute (60 - 90 minutes a day, depends if I have to go off-site) but while touring I've knocked 2+ days out of each charge as its easy to switch off/on while on the move so you only turn it on for the twisty bits. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

If you don't mind waiting a few weeks you can get this one with free delivery and 2 spare batteries for about €85 delivered.

http://www.foxoffer.com/sj4000-full-hd-waterproof-action-helmet-camera-p-659.html

Review and footage here: http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/2/3/the-sj4000-action-camera-review.html

The price/quality ratio is bang on. It's not gopro/contour/drift quality but it's a damn sight cheaper. If it's just for your commute I can recommend this. I have one and it's perfect for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

I think it vital to have a camera when commuting.......i have a go pro 1. Nothing fancy but it does what it says on the tin......and has that special moment when that kunt pulls out in front of you and denys everything. Have a cheap and cheeful one in the cage too.....came from china and its brill. Small and discreet. A must imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Anyone seen a camera that somehow goes inside a helmet, behind the visor?
    I was flicking around youtube and saw something where the guy reached up and flipped the visor down in front of the camera lens. Must be a pretty small camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

cant be a good idea... the only thing I want between the outer shell of my lid, and my skull, is impact foam thankyouverymuch

So I decided to go with the contour roam 2. Picked up one on eBay for a decent price including a 32gb card.

Will post some thoughts when I get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

DubVelo wrote: »
    Anyone seen a camera that somehow goes inside a helmet, behind the visor?
    I was flicking around youtube and saw something where the guy reached up and flipped the visor down in front of the camera lens. Must be a pretty small camera.
    Presumably it was along the lines of these:
    http://pivothead.com/products

No idea how good they are though. I use a Go Pro on a chest harness.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

Is it worth buying one of the dirt cheap ones? from lidl or the like?

Until you can afford a better one,

Just so you can have a record for safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

So I decided to go with the contour roam 2. Picked up one on eBay for a decent price including a 32gb card.

Will post some thoughts when I get it.

I expect to see some videos like this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Green Mile

I use a Drift HD cam, I don’t have it for insurance reasons but I travel to the likes of trim castle or other cool places around Ireland. I put my videos up on youtube and they tend to get a good few hits from Americans (and a few others) who are into this type of thing. Each time I get a click on a video, I get 1 cent. So my plan is to get thousands of hits :) hopefully over time I can make a bit of dosh. It’s a register-setup-upload-forget-about-income-for-life.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Green Mile wrote: »
    I use a Drift HD cam, I don’t have it for insurance reasons but I travel to the likes of trim castle or other cool places around Ireland. I put my videos up on youtube and they tend to get a good few hits from Americans (and a few others) who are into this type of thing. Each time I get a click on a video, I get 1 cent. So my plan is to get thousands of hits :) hopefully over time I can make a bit of dosh. It’s a register-setup-upload-forget-about-income-for-life.

Whats your channel ?

leppla wrote: »
    Whats your channel ?
    Just sent you a PM.

My youtube username is also in my Boards bio/description

My videos are nothing special by any means now.

Green Mile wrote: »
    Could you give me a quick explanation of how the pay per click works? I thought for YT to pay you, you had to let them puts ads over or before (or both) your videos? And if you use copywrited music it instantly disquailifes you from receiving payment?

KT10 wrote: »
    Could you give me a quick explanation of how the pay per click works? I thought for YT to pay you, you had to let them puts ads over or before (or both) your videos? And if you use copywrited music it instantly disquailifes you from receiving payment?

You're correct with the above. You have to allow youtube to place ads before your videos. anything with copywrite is disqualified from allowing you to make money. You have to open an account with google.com/adsense and you build up credit whenever someone watches your video. You can then draw down your earnings to your Irish bank account.

There's a good few steps involved to get it fully set up (such as verifying your bank details etc) to explain all here but if you YT "youtube partnership" there are good tutorials and explanations on what to do.

Contour arrived and i got it mounted on my helmet. I think it looks quite subtle.

Contourmounted1_zps681943eb.jpg

Contourmounted2_zpsefae873c.jpg

Contourmounted3_zpseb4eb711.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Looks very well indeed, very nice lid too btw.

Best of luck....invest in a tether for the camera believe me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Bumping this thread to link to a BA thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90961105#post90961105

GoPro imitation at a fraction of the price and perfectly acceptable quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Pique wrote: »
    Bumping this thread to link to a BA thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90961105#post90961105

GoPro imitation at a fraction of the price and perfectly acceptable quality.

Are they all gone or something?
    Trying to buy one there and any one I click on is not available!

Advertisement