Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike/Helmet camera for commute?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

blade1 wrote: »
    Are they all gone or something?
    Trying to buy one there and any one I click on is not available!

Try here?
    http://m.banggood.com/SJ4000-Waterproof-HD-1_5-Inch-Car-DVR-Camera-Sport-DV-Novatek-1080P-p-917037.html

I've no idea on that site. It just came up on my mobile as an ad on the boards touch site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

link in euros
    http://www.banggood.com/SJ4000-Waterproof-HD-1_5-Inch-Car-DVR-Camera-Sport-DV-Novatek-1080P-p-917037.html

unboxing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhShMVpqWKM

quality check recording IRL dayitime
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TMKX3vdob4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM00-5H9yOA

nighttime
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LhcmbqtMis
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_aFFBkJcoM

it looks very good and for the price records 1080p at 30fps and 720p at 60fps thats more then enough for clear detail.. ... as mentioned.. it can save you a lot of hassle... and the reviews are very good, even in rain... and it has micro sd slot..

Here's a Techmoan review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnHDu-oW7_Y

The 720p @60fps is not really 60fps, just 30fps with every frame repeated repeated.
    Still, good price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The sj4000 is on ebay aswell for around €100 delivered and comes with 32gb sd card.
    I'm not great with this kind of stuff but would I be right in thinking the sd card supplied would not be great for HD?

• Advertisement

Ok I got it now on AliExpress for €65.
    I bid on a class 10 sd card on ebay and got it for €7.

Do I need anything else?
    I want to use it in my car and also on the bike.
    This is what's included
    photo_zpscd522e01.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

^^^^
    Are you going to put it on your lid or the bike? How would you attach it to your lid by the way? Gaffer tape?

Oh, and your phone needs a charge, it down to 11% ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

It comes with 2 double sided sticky pads to apply to your helmet. I have mine attached to the side of my lid, it's seen motorway speeds and never an issue. Solid as a rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Let us know if you get done for duty, I've been planning on getting one for some time now but put it of becasue it was coming from China and might turn out more expensive when delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I bought my camera from foxoffer after seeing the techmoan review. These guys are either the manufacturer of the camera or at least were the first/main supplier of it.

Mine cost me €82.31 delivered to my door. I chose the free delivery from foxoffer - which did take a few weeks - and got 2 extra batteries. They messed up somehow and sent me two cameras arriving six weeks apart. Both arrived marked as a gift of a web camera with a $40 value, neither were touched by customs. I can't comment on the other suppliers but had a good experience with foxoffer. Gave the second camera to a mate for 50 quid so mine only cost me 32! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Do I need anything else?
    I want to use it in my car and also on the bike.
    This is what's included
    photo_zpscd522e01.png
    Won the same one in an ebay auction for 40e including postage, coming from UK so should be here before the forum meetup hopefully! :pac:

^^^^
    Are you going to put it on your lid or the bike? How would you attach it to your lid by the way? Gaffer tape?

Oh, and your phone needs a charge, it down to 11% ;)
    Vikings wrote: »
    It comes with 2 double sided sticky pads to apply to your helmet. I have mine attached to the side of my lid, it's seen motorway speeds and never an issue. Solid as a rock.
    I suppose helmet but I hate the thought of putting a sticky pad on my helmet or bike.
    zubair wrote: »
    Let us know if you get done for duty, I've been planning on getting one for some time now but put it of becasue it was coming from China and might turn out more expensive when delivered.
    Whether or not I get caught for duty will have no bearing on whether or not you have to pay.
    It's pot luck really!
    Vikings wrote: »
    I bought my camera from foxoffer after seeing the techmoan review. These guys are either the manufacturer of the camera or at least were the first/main supplier of it.

Mine cost me €82.31 delivered to my door. I chose the free delivery from foxoffer - which did take a few weeks - and got 2 extra batteries. They messed up somehow and sent me two cameras arriving six weeks apart. Both arrived marked as a gift of a web camera with a $40 value, neither were touched by customs. I can't comment on the other suppliers but had a good experience with foxoffer. Gave the second camera to a mate for 50 quid so mine only cost me 32! :D
    Lucky Bastard!::pac:
    blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Won the same one in an ebay auction for 40e including postage, coming from UK so should be here before the forum meetup hopefully! :pac:
    Jesus, can't go wrong for that price..;)

Sort of looks like there are clampy things that might let you attach it to the side though, for one I wouldn't like sticking it onto my lid too. Have you taken it out for a spin yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I have a Drift attached to my lid and its held on solid with the 3M sticky pad. I guess this stuff is the same.

Also drove past a lad today on the N7 with a blue contour attached to his lid.

No issues really unless with the lower value cameras they also use lower value adhesive for the pads :pac::pac:

I just dislike sticking things, i'd rather bolt it or clamp it.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Check it when it arrives, I've gotten class 10 cards off eBay before and the only thing they're good for is firing out the window.
    I just dislike sticking things, i'd rather bolt it or clamp it.
    I've had a ContourGPS and a Contour ROAM2 on the side of my lid now for 2+ years on the original sticky mount (touch wood) its still 100% and I sometimes reef out of it to get the camera off (there's a trick to it, treat it like a band aid, one short, sharp pull to remove from the mount).

KT10 wrote: »
    Check it when it arrives, I've gotten class 10 cards off eBay before and the only thing they're good for is firing out the window

Do you mean it could be a fake?
    Is there a way to check before I use it in the cam?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Do you mean it could be a fake?
    Is there a way to check before I use it in the cam?
    Yep, there's free benchmarking software you can download that will test the read/write speed and that will tell you if its a true Class 10 card.

KT10 wrote: »
    Yep, there's free benchmarking software you can download that will test the read/write speed and that will tell you if its a true Class 10 card.

Ah right.
    I actually had a problem with a 32gb toshiba usb not so long ago.
    It was a fake but I put a load of movies on it and they all seemed to go on it( you could see all the movies on it)
    It was only when I went to play something it wouldn't work.

I tested it and there was less than 3gb true memory.
    I got my money back anyway.

The sd I ordered is just a generic one.
    Maybe that's a good thing as in its not claiming to be a big brand name.
    Time will tell.

• Advertisement

Ah right.
    I actually had a problem with a 32gb toshiba usb not so long ago.
    It was a fake but I put a load of movies on it and they all seemed to go on it( you could see all the movies on it)
    It was only when I went to play something it wouldn't work.

I tested it and there was less than 3gb true memory.
    I got my money back anyway.

The sd I ordered is just a generic one.
    Maybe that's a good thing as in its not claiming to be a big brand name.
    Time will tell.

Try this.
    http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/chkflsh_en

I use it for my USB drives.

Gives you read/write and capacity.

Careful though. It performs a full overwrite of your card so do make sure to have all your stuff copied off it first.

Pique wrote: »
    Try this.
    http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/chkflsh_en

I use it for my USB drives.

Gives you read/write and capacity.

Careful though. It performs a full overwrite of your card so do make sure to have all your stuff copied off it first.

Cheers, I suppose best to check before putting anything on it!
    Will it also tell me if it's class 10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

class 10 isnt much of a benchmark tbh, it just guarantee's a minimum write speed of 10MB/s

you'll want a decent make that can do 35-50mb/s+ (will still be marketed at class 10 - poxy classification system)

Wossack wrote: »
    class 10 isnt much of a benchmark tbh, it just guarantee's a minimum write speed of 10MB/s

you'll want a decent make that can do 35-50mb/s+ (will still be marketed at class 10 - poxy classification system)

Ok, thanks for the info..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

I always get my class 10's here http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SD, very reasonably priced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, ebay is famous for dodgy memory cards. My mate got a 32gb card from a chinese shop on Moore street, when he got it home and stuck it in his computer he found out the capacity was 16gb!
    As neamhspleachi said, go with a real shop or website, I've got plenty of stuff of mymemory, good site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

memoryc.ie is good too (irish company to boot!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

the sj4000 just hit parcel motel so will have it for the sunday forum meet if anyone wants to have a gawk at it!

goodlad wrote: »
    I used a HD drift Ghost every day. The quality is savage and the shape of the camera is perfect because it doesn't really catch any wind resistance when helmet mount.

I got it from action cameras in the UK.
    They customized a package deal with me for the bits i wanted because the premade deals on the site has some stuff i wanted but also some stuff i wouldn't use.

Looks good, but comes in at about 300 lids, but it seems biker friendly looking at this review

Would you trust it in the rain? I'm not talkin showers, but the down all day, hazy rain gets into everythin, Scratch that, he says its waterproof down to 9 feet!!

• Advertisement

DaveD wrote: »
    Contour arrived and i got it mounted on my helmet. I think it looks quite subtle.

Contourmounted1_zps681943eb.jpg

Contourmounted2_zpsefae873c.jpg

Contourmounted3_zpseb4eb711.jpg

Thats mounted to the lid not stuck on?, a big plus imop, how are you finding it? Any footage?
    Looks great by the way

Advertisement