Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike/Helmet camera for commute?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    the sj4000 just hit parcel motel so will have it for the sunday forum meet if anyone wants to have a gawk at it!
    I'll take a goo, man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Thats mounted to the lid not stuck on?, a big plus imop

I'd hazard a guess that 90%+ of helmet cams are mounted via a 3m or similar sticky pad. There's no other way to safely do it, drilling/bolting anything to your helmet is not a good idea :pac:

Any time i've seen or heard of a camera failing has been down to the mount itself i.e the plastic, never the sticky pads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Thats mounted to the lid not stuck on?, a big plus imop, how are you finding it? Any footage?
    Looks great by the way

Mine's mounted the exact same way. 3M pads secure the mount to the lid, Contour slides onto mount.

The sound is too affected by wind roar but there's a few hacks for getting around it. Tape over the mic or even mod it to accept an external mic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

I have one of these on the handlebars of the bike, good quality recording/audio, waterproof & mounts included, just under €40

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-Full-HD-1080P-DV-Mini-Waterproof-Sport-Bike-Camera-Helmet-Bracket-Car-Holder-DVR-Digital/1687433719.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I thought Contour went bust?
    I have a Sony HDR AS15, I liked the slim housing better than the lumpy Go-pro shape. 150 will buy one now.
    Would you consider a dashcam in a dedicated housing?
    They are a much cheaper option.
    You can decent 720p water resistant versions for very little these days.
    That said the Sony has a massive range of accessories available, and I like to have wifi link so I can adjust the angle while in place.

Argos has a deal going on Sony AS15 for 127 euro - however stock situation is poor - there's about 10 of them in stock across the country.

Now the interesting bit - everyone at HDUK is saying Argos will actually give you a Sony AS30v, which makes this a decent bargain (according to the comments)

Code: 563/6369
    http://www.checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=563%2F6369

Anyone know this model, is it good for mounting on the side of the helmet? Cool feature seems to be NCF and being able to see what camera sees on your Android phone, however that drains the battery it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Thats mounted to the lid not stuck on?, a big plus imop, how are you finding it? Any footage?
    Looks great by the way

It's mounted with the 3M sticky pad that comes with it.

Footage it great, i haven't actually uploaded anything to YouTube but will try to put something together over the next few days.

I went to leave one morning and the battery was dead so didn't bother attaching it to my lid. I was very surprised that i noticed how lighter my helmet felt, and was much more comfortable to wear. The camera doesn't weigh that much, about the same as a smart phone.

Anyway, i'm not wearing it on my helmet anymore, thinking of attaching it to the front of the bike just under the headlight.

Advertisement