Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections & Literature

• 23-04-2014 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭

To be honest, this is more about the literature I found in my house yesterday from Mr Gilligan but I anticipate more.

I had a read of it last night because I was interested to know what contribution that local elected representatives could make going forward. Please note, this is not commentary on what John or any local rep has done in the past, I was merely looking at it with an eye on the future - you know, why should I vote for him etc

I was kind of surprised to see that all 8 pages (except one on the red march against gangs) were pretty much dedicated to national issues or what I would call throwing the boot into national government. He commented on the national debt and how it will not be paid off until 2042, he commented on how Angela Merkel thinks we are a great little country and she patted us on the head etc (?)
    He has a go off John Tierney from Dublin, how he spent 85mil and is going to sell off Irish Water "When he has bled us dry"... - I won't comment on that assertion. He even talks about the Government of the day saying the world bank were not in town when they were...? - Was it not the IMF that were here, a different institution really.

He comments on austerity living thanks to a "collection of governments who have protected greedy bankers, speculators and property tycoons who had squandered the wealth of the nation" - again, no comment from me as I am not sure what that all has to do with local representation on the local council.

It all seems very hysterical and full of loaded words and statements such as tycoons, speculators, wealth of the nation (I'm not convinced a lot of wealth was ever real), what was stolen from us etc.

In my opinion, the literature is essentially a commentary on what has happened over the last 6 years or so and not a very good commentary.

Where is the detail on the proposals for the city and county going forward, information on what will be done to drum up business in the city, attract more activity to the city centre? What will be done to contain the criminal elements in the city? What is proposed of the regeneration, the housing issues people face in the city. Any initiatives to deal locally with suicide prevention?
    There is lots he could have made statements or proposals on rather than comment on what is going on in Dublin.

I haven't received any other candidate literature but I look forward to reading what is on them because the first one I received is a bit of a let down.

Anyone else make any observations on the literature around?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Séighin O Ceallaigh and Jim Hickey's leaflets very much the same as what you have mentioned. They deal with national issues (water charges, etc) and the mess we're in and what parties X,Y and Z did to cause this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

And the tactic of trying to focus on national matters seems to work, as a good number of people I know (folks that I would normally say are quite savvy) are talking about voting in the local elections based on national issues, and to "show the government what the people think"

And then when the General election rolls around again in a few years, we will have those running for Dail seats trying to win votes by telling us what they will do at local level. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

The national issues is the most important currently...our social backbone has been eroded away by the last two governments and this has had a major effect on local issues from funding for roads, public parks, elderly care and countless other cutbacks on the care of society. Focusing on a pothole or whether they should let a few travellers in to rhebogue halting site is what leads us to gombeenism and for this I for one am happy that both the people and those in opposition see the greater picture.

Ireland has a small population less than half of London so the national issue is a local issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Then why do we have to elect representatives to carry out business at National level and then again at local level?
    In my opinion they should represent two separate functions. Why not just have an office of government at each council and allow them to act like civil servants doing the necessary as they are instructed from Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

To be honest, this is more about the literature I found in my house yesterday from Mr Gilligan but I anticipate more.

Basically Councillors have no power to change anything, here is a link to Bock the Robber http://bocktherobber.com/2014/03/local-elections-2014-what-powers-do-local-councillors-have/

I suggest you ask any candidate who calls to your door what they do for a living, as the position is part time and earns a stipend called a representational allowance of €16,644.54, plus expenses, hardly enough to keep body and soul together on it's own, although if this Limerick Leader article is anything to go by, I have to wonder,
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/limerick-city-councillors-spent-almost-70-000-on-conferences-in-2013-1-5862122

Two items particularly stood out for me,
    Elsewhere, Labour councillor Joe Leddin joined Fine Gael’s Jim Long in April at an event in Carlingford, Co Louth, focused on ‘Starting and Growing a Chamber of Commerce in your community’. They claimed €1,278 between then, and in a report to City Council, Cllr Long said Limerick should have “a local community based chamber ... taking on board very small businesses, corporations, volunteers, religious groups and school groups.”
    I thought we had a Chamber of Commerce http://www.limerickchamber.ie/

We can always do with a bit of distraction, and where better than Lisdoonvarna
    Four councillors were in attendance at the Merriman Summer School in Lisdoonvarna, Co Clare. Between them, Mayor Leddin, Cllr O’Hanlon, Gerry McLoughlin and Tom Shortt claimed a total of €2,520.29 in subsistence, travel and conference fees on the event, which looked at whether the two societies in Ireland’s northern and southern regions were growing apart.

If perchance John Gilligan calls to your door perhaps he should be reminded that his allowance and expenses are paid by taxpayers, and not non resident tax exiles.

Now that we are an amalgamated authority, lets watch the fun and games when Hyde road loses out on funding to Kilbehenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The main reason I think people bring national issues to their local elections and councillors is that they feel it is the only way they can voice their disapproval of Government policy and performance at national level by giving the relevant represented parties a bloody nose at local level.

Hi Bazz,

My question though arises out of why local candidates, for a local council are commenting on National issues. Issues of which they have no input to, had no input to in some cases are wrong or lazy on their commentary.
    I would prefer to see what real and tangible proposals they have for the local area.

In another case of time wasting, I seen in the Post this week, a candidate Frankie Daly "condemned" the cost of flying to Marseille for the match. Now I don't know if they are paid for pieces with the papers but I suggest Frankie have a look at this little video which is less than five minutes in length and outlines the basis of the market operation of supply and demand.

I find it lazy that this is what we are to vote on rather than real proposals for real benefits to the county.

Any other commentary on literature being delivered by other candidates? More specifically, is there anyone with a solid, quality campaign with real effort?

jbkenn wrote: »
    Basically Councillors have no power to change anything, here is a link to Bock the Robber http://bocktherobber.com/2014/03/local-elections-2014-what-powers-do-local-councillors-have/

I suggest you ask any candidate who calls to your door what they do for a living, as the position is part time and earns a stipend called a representational allowance of €16,644.54, plus expenses, hardly enough to keep body and soul together on it's own, although if this Limerick Leader article is anything to go by, I have to wonder,
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/limerick-city-councillors-spent-almost-70-000-on-conferences-in-2013-1-5862122

Two items particularly stood out for me,

I thought we had a Chamber of Commerce http://www.limerickchamber.ie/

We can always do with a bit of distraction, and where better than Lisdoonvarna

If perchance John Gilligan calls to your door perhaps he should be reminded that his allowance and expenses are paid by taxpayers, and not non resident tax exiles.

Now that we are an amalgamated authority, lets watch the fun and games when Hyde road loses out on funding to Kilbehenny.

That Bock the robber link is great, thanks for that.

Advertisement