Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telescoping pole

• 23-04-2014 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Hi there
    Am pruning a tree..quite a tall one!

anyone got an idea where I'd get a really long pole?

Or something clever I could use to position some ropes.
    (The ropes will be used to lower a branch so as not to destroy my neighbours shed... :) )
    Cheers
    Marty.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Get a silky hayate or hayauchi pruning saw, about 26 feet fully extended or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Cheers for suggestion but I'm not after a saw.
    I need to position rope way above the limb I need to cut(I can cut it no prob)
    So any other ideas??
    Is there a cheap window cleaning pole or something??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How will you fasten the ropes to the branch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i had something the same problem as yours,
    dont laugh,
    the limb was high up and i got a long rope, tied on a weight to end of rope and swung it across where i needed it with the weight,
    i got it right after a few attempts,
    as it kept going rong on me in the start, so i would have to bring it back and toss the weight tied to the end of rope a few times,
    when i did get it right i let the weight come down so i could catch it, and a i tied a noose like knot to one and threaded the other end through so when i pulled it it caught the limb and i just got someone better than me at climbing to go up with hand saw,
    hey presto got job done, without wrecking garage roof

goat2 wrote: »
    i had something the same problem as yours,
    dont laugh,
    the limb was high up and i got a long rope, tied on a weight to end of rope and swung it across where i needed it with the weight,
    i got it right after a few attempts,
    as it kept going rong on me in the start, so i would have to bring it back and toss the weight tied to the end of rope a few times,
    when i did get it right i let the weight come down so i could catch it, and a i tied a noose like knot to one and threaded the other end through so when i pulled it it caught the limb and i just got someone better than me at climbing to go up with hand saw,
    hey presto got job done, without wrecking garage roof

Im doing very similar thing...
    Weight and some builders twine, but im using this to then pull up a chainsaw blade which i use from the ground..goes through branches real quick!!

Its just there is one branch that if i cut down it will land on neighbouring shed.
    So i need to support it from above...
    I cant use my weight throwing method as inevitably the weight will go through my neighbours roof in an attempt to get it up there.

Thats why i need a pole...to place rather than throw up the rope.

Marty.

• Advertisement

I think bahco or stihl do a pole and a little hook attachment.

You could always try a tree surgeons throwing line?

I made a pole last night...with a hook to hold my twine and weights.
    Ill try it later...should be able to easily drop the weights exactly where i want and then pull up the heavier ropes.
    Im sorry now i didnt have pole for the work ive already done as it would have made positioning the twine so much easier!!

@ Looksee
    fastening the ropes to branches is easily done.

Send over the weighted twine...
    Lower weights and tie to heavy rope.
    Put a loop in other end of heavy rope and pull it over.
    Put other end of heavy rope through the loop and pull...thats it.

I need to get my ropes onto a branch thats about 25 foot above ground.
    And then draw them up over a higher branch about 30 foot above ground so that i can keep branch from falling when i cut through it.
    So there is a bit of logistics to doing it all safely.

Marty.

Advertisement