Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Sligo

Options
  • 23-04-2014 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Hi all, iv moved back to sligo after being away for 5 years and whilst it's great to be back and catch up I'm starting to see long evenings being wasted away while I do noting,I'm 24 and I'm finding it hard to keep myself busy apart from going out etc. A lot of my mates just live for the weekend and whilst I do love a pint or two I'd rather be more pro active whilst I'm back...
    So I'm coming here looking for cool/wierd/fun/ things to do...really up for anything during the week or weekends
    All ideas will be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Not sure what kind of things you are looking for but there are a lot of sport groups.
    Young Yeats are a really nice bunch of people that have various things going on: https://www.facebook.com/youngyeats?fref=ts
    There are also musical societies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I'm guessing you're looking for something that gets you outside in the good weather?

The Northwest MTB club operate on trails in Union Wood, and you have Eire Og cycling club or Innisfree Wheelers if you'd prefer road cycling.

Carrowmore Archers are an archery club based in the grounds of Templehouse.

Sligo Kayak club are based at the back avenue (Doorly Park) at Lough Gill.

Plus there's a whole load of GAA teams in and around Sligo, I joined a team last year after years not playing at 30, so you have a few years on me.

I know some of the clubs I've mentioned may involve an investment in equipment, but most clubs allow you to come along and have a go, see what you think and what suits before you drop the money on gear.

If you don't feel like committing to a club, there are plenty of forest walks and trails around Hazelwood, Knocknarea and both sides of the Darty Mountains (Benbulben/Kings Mountain/Glencar), it really depends what your interests are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

hi guys thanks for the suggestions so far. I should be a tad but more specific. I guess what I'm looking for is some new to do that would involve me learning something new perhaps a hobbie/sport, something with a social element to it. I don't want the highlights of the week to be at 2/3am in the 4lights after a night out. I'm here til September so I just want to experience Sligo abit differently I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

skinny90 wrote: »
    hi guys thanks for the suggestions so far. I should be a tad but more specific. I guess what I'm looking for is some new to do that would involve me learning something new perhaps a hobbie/sport, something with a social element to it. I don't want the highlights of the week to be at 2/3am in the 4lights after a night out. I'm here til September so I just want to experience Sligo abit differently I guess.

To be honest, there's loads of clubs you could join, and it really depends on what interests you, money you may have to spend, I could list more but I'm not even sure what you're looking for, or if you're willing to spend money to fund a hobby.

Plenty of golf clubs to join (Green fees and clubs)
    Sligo Sub Aqua Club, if you'd fancy learning to dive? (Scuba gear)
    Horse riding clubs (Not sure how expensive this would be, but I'd presume basic gear needed at start)
    There's a few drama societies around (cheap)
    Sligo Mens Shed - Usually an older crowd, more of a social outlet but you can learn some good skills, woodworking etc. (cheap)
    Tigerland Airsoft - Based in templehouse, money would be needed for basic kit, but can be done relatively cheap (check the airsoft ads in the airsoft forum), and massive interest in the 20's-30's age group.
    Order of Malta/Civil Defence - Will teach you great skills like first aid (practically free if you volunteer?)

Nearly all I've mentioned would get you outdoors in daylight hours, some may teach you a new set of skills, and nearly all them will have the social outlet you're looking for, there's way too many nice people in Sligo that you wouldn't find a group full of people you'd dislike.

I didn't bother to post links to any I've mentioned here or the post above, a quick google search will sort you out.

Failing all of that, if there is something you're interested in that a club in Sligo does not cater for, why not set one up? It's amazing what can be achieved with a simple facebook page and some like minded people.

Currently I cycle quite a bit, by far my biggest hobby, also GAA season has started, and I do a bit of archery, and I'm hoping to learn to swim during this summer to use a kayak I got really cheap, but I'm not with a club for anything other than the GAA, my kids/work mean I can't dedicate regular time to any hobby, so I pretty much am stuck with my own company!

Advertisement