Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

access to deposit account (breaking a deposit account)

Options
  • 23-04-2014 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi everyone,
    i could not find any information on this topic so i thought i would ask here.
    i have a deposit account but i am looking to possible break it,
    is this possible? i understand ill lose any interest accrued but want to know if its possible,

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Most fixed term deposit accounts do allow you to close them early but there is usually a penalty. What is the name of the account that you have and which bank is it with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

why not call your bank and ask? Surely thats quicker than posting and waiting here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 househunter12

i would nearly listen to the advice here before contacting them, they normally send you around in circles.
    its a advantage 6 month account,I
    was just interested to see if anyone else ever broke one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I've just had a read of the Terms and Conditions for that account and it says.

5. No Early Termination
    5.1 You cannot close the Account or terminate the Advantage Fixed
    Term Deposit Account before the end of the chosen term.

However, it does say that you can withdraw up to 10% of the money before the end.

2.3 You can take money out of the Advantage Fixed Term Deposit
    Account multiple times during the chosen term. The maximum
    amount you can take in total is 10% of the amount you put in at
    the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Ok, so the T&C's say you can only withdraw 10% but you might be able to withdraw more.

Go to BoI and give a good sob story about why you need the cash. They might allow you access to more than 10%.

Failing that, how close are you to the 6 month maturity date? Could you get access to short term cash some other way to tie you over until maturity date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 househunter12

thanks for all the help everyone, im a bit away from getting it back but might need the money if a property appears during the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

thanks for all the help everyone, im a bit away from getting it back but might need the money if a property appears during the summer

For how much discount would you be willing to sell the rights to the money in the account?

There'll always be a buyer; just depends on how much you need the money.

Advertisement