Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Homeworld game (re released)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

TotalBiscuit is saying it's one of the best remasters that's ever been released, so it's looking very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It's interesting to see how they're going to balance multiplayer.

Watching TB there, he didn't really have a great answer for Vaygr Corvettes.

It was fine in HW1 because both teams had the same strengths and weaknesses.
    In HW2 you had Lancer strike craft for the Vaygr and Pulsar Gunships for the Hiigarans.

I can't remember can Assault frigates hit corvettes consistently or would Drone frigates have the firepower to take them out.
    Missile Destroyer would come too late.

Expect to get Corvette bum-rushed in the early days if you pick the old races.

Soooooo close now...

Assault Frigs could hit Heavy Corvettes, but i'm not sure if they hit anything smaller. Hopefully they've balanced it a bit, but i'm sure we'll see a lot of changes over the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Im ashamed to say this but I've never played homeworld so I may pick this up.

You should if only to hear this or this. Probably the best scripted game I've ever played, and the visuals on the sequal are stunning even compared to today's graphics.

You should if only to hear this or this. Probably the best scripted game I've ever played, and the visuals on the sequal are stunning even compared to today's graphics.

Massive spoilers in that 2nd video, in case anyone hasn't seen it before.

Re the spoilers, true, but as its the third mission I thought it'd be ok without tagging.
    Kiith wrote: »
    Still rates as one of my favourite games ever. By far the best space strategy game i've ever played, and i doubt it will ever get old. The story is basic enough, if well done, but the game and soundtrack are absolutely fantastic. To think i nearly gave up on it after being stuck on the 3rd 4th mission for weeks. Friendly hint...don't send a probe when they tell you to tongue.png

Of course if you want to cheese the game
    Salvage corvettes are a girl's best friend.

Re the spoilers, true, but as its the third mission I thought it'd be ok without tagging.

Of course if you want to cheese the game
    Salvage corvettes are a girl's best friend.

Particularly mission 14.
    Your cloud of frigates?

My cloud of frigates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

What are the chances it releasing at midnight?

Pretty much zero. It'll be 6pm tomorrow.

Just to whet the appetite of anyone else waiting for the game, here's a link to a pdf of the historical and technical briefing that came as a manual.

Imagine a game company making that effort today, to flesh out the game.

• Advertisement

Just to whet the appetite of anyone else waiting for the game, here's a link to a pdf of the historical and technical briefing that came as a manual.

Skyrim had tons of ingame books in fairness

I remember buying this in Game or HMV on a trip to Dublin back in the day. Read the manual on the train on the way back, and couldn't wait to play it.

It's even where i got my username all those years ago :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I hope that's with the collectors edition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

beginnings of a series by youtube channel 'Research Indicates'

one to keep an eye on - he does excellent stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I got pre-load option now

Yeah, you can pre-load it now, but it won't unlock till 6pm tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Pre load done, but will have to wait until tomorrow ;(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Swore i was never pre ordering again but TB's video pushed me over the edge on this one! Pre loaded,wont be able to play till tomorrow morning after work:( Can finally throw out that disc copy of HW 2 now though:)

ITS BEEN A WHOLE FOUR MINUTES WHERES MY HOMEWORLD

• Advertisement

There's another 3gb to download after its been unlocked

Well... it's 4.6GB less than it would've been.

Try restarting Steam if it still says it's locked.

I'm downloading the rest of the game now.

I hate you all right now :D

Gbear wrote: »
    Try restarting Steam if it still says it's locked.

I'm downloading the rest of the game now.

Yeah that was my initial issue. It kept saying it was locked.

Troy-Community-Emotions.gif

• Advertisement

"There's nothing left for us here, let's go"

"There's nothing left for us here, let's go"

Some of us are still waiting damn it :(

Let us know what ya make of the game lads and lasses

What the hell is the point of being able to preload it if you still need to download 3gb+ after it unlocks :mad:

What the hell is the point of being able to preload it if you still need to download 3gb+ after it unlocks :mad:

Hardly last minute updates

Anybody else getting a bug with the camera on level 6 (the one where you have to destroy an oncoming asteroid field)? Anytime I hold right click to turn the camera, the old overlay comes up and I can't look around. Makes the level almost impossible to finish.

The game is exactly how I remember it. Its nice, relaxing and engrossing. If your expecting a new experience, you will be disappointed.

• Advertisement

Anybody else getting a bug with the camera on level 6 (the one where you have to destroy an oncoming asteroid field)? Anytime I hold right click to turn the camera, the old overlay comes up and I can't look around. Makes the level almost impossible to finish.

The game is exactly how I remember it. Its nice, relaxing and engrossing. If your expecting a new experience, you will be disappointed.

Just got an email saying the collectors edition has being delayed for shipping by a few days

Reggie. wrote: »
    Just got an email saying the collectors edition has being delayed for shipping by a few days

You can go to Gearbox's website and I think they'll give you a code.

https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/entries/62587454-Amazon-Collector-s-Edition-Not-Delivered-by-Feb-25

Yeah got that on the email alright. On a 24hr shift tomorrow so no chance. How's the first impressions

It's exactly what i wanted from a remaster. Looks and sounds fantastic, and has the same gameplay that i loved in the original. Always loved the story as well.

"The subject did not survive interrogation" always got to me.

It's exactly what i wanted from a remaster. Looks and sounds fantastic, and has the same gameplay that i loved in the original. Always loved the story as well.

"The subject did not survive interrogation" always got to me.

:D

Yeah, i'm a fanboy. Might not be the best for an unbiased opinion :P

So I guess we'll stick to spoilers for the time being? No harm, even if the game is 15 years old.

There's a bunch of tiny little idiosyncratic bugs that seem to be down to having the original ported into the HW2 engine.

Like there's no animation for Salvage Corvettes (there used to be a little blue beam).
    When you use Sphere formation and select guard it used to place the guarded unit in the centre of the sphere whereas now they just awkwardly fly next to it.

There's a few little trivial animation bugs like that.

A little bit of the balancing seems slightly off. There's possibly too many resources in the campaign but I could be wrong.
    They've made all the ships more expensive (about 25-250%, depending on the ship) but by the end of mission 4
    I've already hit the frigate population cap after stealing about 7 Ion Frigates from the Turanic Raiders.

These are all nitpicks though. I was nearly sobbing during the opening mission, just from the quality of it and the nostalgia factor.

It really is top notch.

These are all nitpicks though. I was nearly sobbing during the opening mission, just from the quality of it and the nostalgia factor.

It really is top notch.

Damn my slow internets!

I'm enjoying it, only briefly played the game back in the day. I only got to mission 4 last night due to other distractions and because I had to restart mission 2 because I didnt have enough fighters on hand at the start of mission 3. I'm enjoyign the pace of it so far but I am struggling a little bit with sending ships to exact waypoints. Something that annoyed me though was discovering the hard way that multiple salvage corvettes are needed to capture bigger ships.

Also, is there a way to see how full your resource collectors are?

I'm enjoying it, only briefly played the game back in the day. I only got to mission 4 last night due to other distractions and because I had to restart mission 2 because I didnt have enough fighters on hand at the start of mission 3. I'm enjoyign the pace of it so far but I am struggling a little bit with sending ships to exact waypoints. Something that annoyed me though was discovering the hard way that multiple salvage corvettes are needed to capture bigger ships.

Also, is there a way to see how full your resource collectors are?

If I rremember right. In the old game there was a brown bar underneath the green health bar of collector to show how full it was

• Advertisement

Yeah, if you zoom in close to your resource collectors, you can see how full they are.

Also, a general tip. When the game tells you to send a ship to a waypoint...wait as long as you can. Especially on the first few levels. Gives you time to build up your fleet a bit, and be ready for the inevitable attack :)

So I guess we'll stick to spoilers for the time being? No harm, even if the game is 15 years old.

There's a bunch of tiny little idiosyncratic bugs that seem to be down to having the original ported into the HW2 engine.

Like there's no animation for Salvage Corvettes (there used to be a little blue beam).
    When you use Sphere formation and select guard it used to place the guarded unit in the centre of the sphere whereas now they just awkwardly fly next to it.

There's a few little trivial animation bugs like that.

A little bit of the balancing seems slightly off. There's possibly too many resources in the campaign but I could be wrong.
    They've made all the ships more expensive (about 25-250%, depending on the ship) but by the end of mission 4
    I've already hit the frigate population cap after stealing about 7 Ion Frigates from the Turanic Raiders.

It really is top notch.

The difficulty really is up to how good you are at the game! I had to redo the asteroid belt mission (mission 6) since I lost a ton of ships and couldn't survive mission 8 without any fighters. My fighters kept flying into the asteroids so I kept them docked the second time around. I didn't overuse the salvage corvettes prior to that.

Was there not a command to send your ships back automatically when they were low on health?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Asteroid mission is a right pain.

ED E wrote: »
    Asteroid mission is a right pain.

It's far easier if you dock all your fighters and have two support frigates repairing you mothership so you can take a few hits

Also, manoeuvre anything fragile behind the Mothership - like your research vessel or resource controllers.

Yeah, if you zoom in close to your resource collectors, you can see how full they are.

Also, a general tip. When the game tells you to send a ship to a waypoint...wait as long as you can. Especially on the first few levels. Gives you time to build up your fleet a bit, and be ready for the inevitable attack :)
    ok thanks, don't know how I missed that but i'll check it later. Thanks for the tip too, I also figured out that you can wait untill you have mined all resources at the end of mission before hitting the hyperdrive button.

Does anybody know if you still have to collect every bit of RUs before you hyperspace out for the missions in HW1? The original HW2 had a nifty feature that the game would assume you went through that tedious busywork when you completed the mission and bugged out.

Unfortunately, you still do. I thought they'd make it like Homeworld 2 (you get informed that all resources have been collected as soon as you jump), but it's not.

Unfortunately, you still do. I thought they'd make it like Homeworld 2 (you get informed that all resources have been collected as soon as you jump), but it's not.

Its handier to use that time to build up your ships before the next mission

• Advertisement

Eh you do get all the resources when you skip to hyperjump. Have a look at your resources just after you jump. It will go up by a few thousand depending on the mission.

Advertisement