Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Homeworld game (re released)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Was a fantastic game. It was really, really hard though and had some annoying mission bugs that made it ragequit inducing if I recall.

You also needed ninja cat like dexterity and responses to be at all good with it. I hope they can change the learning curve and have a load of difficulty options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Was a fantastic game. It was really, really hard though and had some annoying mission bugs that made it ragequit inducing if I recall.

You also needed ninja cat like dexterity and responses to be at all good with it. I hope they can change the learning curve and have a load of difficulty options.
    I'm sure someone here can answer that

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No difficulty options from what i saw. And it's still tough unless you play carefully and capture the **** out the enemy frigates.

Kiith wrote: »
    No difficulty options from what i saw. And it's still tough unless you play carefully and capture the **** out the enemy frigates.

That's my usual tactic :D. I do rob every ship I can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Played a nice little skirmish there.

The HW1 maps (Subjugate Your Friends, Radial Symmetry and a few others) are bugged and all the resources are like 60RUs but the HW2 maps (Terra, Kharam Wreck and a few others) are fine.

I had heard that the HW1 races' capital ships were poor but I didn't think that was the case.

Missile Destroyers and Heavy Cruisers seem to scale pretty well.

The HW2 Battlecruisers are unquestionably the strongest units, but they're also more expensive and harder to tech to.

The biggest problem with HW 1 races as far as I can see is that they're limited to 2 Super Capital contruction at a time whereas the HW2 races have the Mothership and up to 2 Shipyards.
    At the same time, they can build 2 units at a time, so it might balance out overall.

Be interesting to see how it develops. I'd say there's going to be a huge amount of tweaking in the next 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It's far easier if you dock all your fighters and have two support frigates repairing you mothership so you can take a few hits

Thats the strat I was using, problem is dumb as Ion Arrays getting themselves crushed.

Is the multiplayer any use? It doesn't strike me as a the kind of game that could be played competitively

Any advice on the ship wreck yard mission? I was slowly moving through in formation but those fecking invincible enemy salvage ships would nab my best ships. I'd chase them down to their hyperspace pod things and destroy them. Yet my ship is still caught in limbo by them. Is there any way to get my ship back?

Any advice on the ship wreck yard mission? I was slowly moving through in formation but those fecking invincible enemy salvage ships would nab my best ships. I'd chase them down to their hyperspace pod things and destroy them. Yet my ship is still caught in limbo by them. Is there any way to get my ship back?

Nope. The trick I use is get a squad of fighters and travel as high as you can on the map. Then travel across the top till you get to the far end and then drop down to the part you have to dock with. Used to work on the old game anyways. Saves all your capital ships

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I haven't seen anyone else complaining, but I had to turn of SLI get it to run. It would run for about 1 minute before locking up, often with a black or frozen screen. Without SLI it's perfectly normal. Seems OpenGL doesn't play nice in this case.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure about the balancing now, but you used to be able to kill them.

Of course, the last time I played this I probably had about 10 multi-beam frigates, 12 destroyers, 5 HCs and 50 frigates.

The way you're supposed to do it is just with strike craft.

The Junkyard Dog shouldn't be activated unless you move capital ships into the junkyard.

Gbear wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the balancing now, but you used to be able to kill them.

Of course, the last time I played this I probably had about 10 multi-beam frigates, 12 destroyers, 5 HCs and 50 frigates.

The way you're supposed to do it is just with strike craft.

The Junkyard Dog shouldn't be activated unless you move capital ships into the junkyard.

That's some fleet. I have a quarter of that at best

That's some fleet. I have a quarter of that at best

Salvage Corvette cheese.

It doesn't necesarily make the game better.

Especially now that they've introduced more robust enemy fleet-scaling.

Apparently, the Ghost Ship mission, that used to have 3 captured Taiidan Assault Frigates, can have 39 if your fleet is big enough.

Salvage Corvette cheese.

It doesn't necesarily make the game better.

Apparently, the Ghost Ship mission, that used to have 3 captured Taiidan Assault Frigates, can have 39 if your fleet is big enough.

Hmmmm. I'm not sure how I feel about scaling difficulty. It was awful in Skyrim imo. But since the campaign in this is sequential and you have no room to "grind", I think it works. The ghost ship only had around 5 ships in total for me. The biggest being my fancy new missile ship.

What? I didn't know that happened now. Maybe i should reconsider capturing every single frigate and up like i used to.

Though those fleet battles can be pretty epic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hmmmm. I'm not sure how I feel about scaling difficulty. It was awful in Skyrim imo. But since the campaign in this is sequential and you have no room to "grind", I think it works. The ghost ship only had around 5 ships in total for me. The biggest being my fancy new missile ship.

Skyrim sucked simply because for some reason they tied difficulty to "story progression" rather than character power in an open world RPG which makes no sense either way.

nesf wrote: »
    Skyrim sucked simply because for some reason they tied difficulty to "story progression" rather than character power in an open world RPG which makes no sense either way.

I thought it was directly tied to your character's level/power?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I thought it was directly tied to your character's level/power?

You know I might be completely confusing it with another game. I think you're right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

might pick this game up
    never played the original, is it worth getting? always loved space battles, checked out a few reviews all seem to say get it,

are controls for it hard? I don't understand how you'd control a group of units to go to a certain area in space, like how do you work the x-y-z axis on this game? seen as their is no specific "ground" area to tell you're units to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

the simple genius of the 3 dimensional movement controls I dont think has been bettered

just going from memory, your initial click sets the x & y coords, as per normal, but while holding down that click and moving the mouse, you set the z (height) position

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Wossack wrote: »
    the simple genius of the 3 dimensional movement controls I dont think has been bettered

just going from memory, your initial click sets the x & y coords, as per normal, but while holding down that click and moving the mouse, you set the z (height) position

Shift-click for the z coordinates.

@2Mad, if you like spaced based strategy games, definitely get this one. It's the granddaddy of the rts space genre, and still stands up to everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

ah! sorry, its been a decade or so lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Wossack wrote: »
    ah! sorry, its been a decade or so lol

memory of a goldfish :p :L cheers guys, just bought it their :) going to wait for my new monitor to arrive before playing it
    really excited for it now :D

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    memory of a goldfish :p :L cheers guys, just bought it their :) going to wait for my new monitor to arrive before playing it
    really excited for it now :D

You won't be disappointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Anyone else have crashes and frametime spikes while playing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Im enjoying game,

avoiding the flame wars on Steam, but its damn good fun again, and looks great. Thanks to all the beer Ive drank over the past 10 years, I have forgotten some of the levels, its like playing for the first time lol

Objective triggers have failed for me twice. Level 6 and level 10, both really annoying levels to repeat. You'd think that the remake would have less bugs not more...

There's a funny bug at the moment.

If you kamikaze 4-6 Vaygr Assault Craft into a Mothership it kills it.

I'd imagine that'll be one of the first patches.
    Shouldn't take too much work to fix, I'd imagine.

There's a funny bug at the moment.

If you kamikaze 4-6 Vaygr Assault Craft into a Mothership it kills it.

I'd imagine that'll be one of the first patches.
    Shouldn't take too much work to fix, I'd imagine.

Anything launched to sort out the bugs yet

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    Anything launched to sort out the bugs yet

Don't think so.

It's only 3 or 4 working days since launch though and I'd say they were working on things almost right up to the deadline anyway.

Hopefully we get something in the next couple of weeks.

I'm holding off on the campaign for the time being. I might give the HW2 campaign a go first - that had less issues with balance.

Your capital ships get in each others way as they are moving sometimes. They get stuck on the spot trying to get around each other. Fairly annoying trying untangle 10 ships.

Finished HW1, hopefully a patch hits before I get to play 2 again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Hit a weird glitch last night, all my fighters and bombers froze midflight and midbattle. As did the enemies, while cap ships moved freely.

Hit a weird glitch last night, all my fighters and bombers froze midflight and midbattle. As did the enemies, while cap ships moved freely.

Sounds like that glitchy gravwell generator glitching all the ships :pac:

Gravwells have a fairly huge radius and can be hard to spot.

• Advertisement

Oh my :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

Is that the collectors edition? Nice box. Whats in it?

ThrAx wrote: »
    Is that the collectors edition? Nice box. Whats in it?

For a start this bad boy

That's actually really cool.

Oh my :D
    For a start this bad boy

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    That's actually really cool.

Even cooler lit up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Still dipping into this every 2nd day.

I can't think of another game that has benefited so well from a remaster.

Can't get mine to start up. The home screen comes on but when I click on the homeworld 1/2 campaign games an error comes up.

Can't get mine to start up. The home screen comes on but when I click on the homeworld 1/2 campaign games an error comes up.

And the error is?

Can't believe I just found out about this now:

Likewise, whereas as it was usually necessary to laboriously hoover up resources at the end of each mission in the original game, in the sequel, and thus now in both games, whatever resources are left unplundered at the end of one mission are automatically added to your stock for the next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

quarryman wrote: »
    And the error is?

Can't believe I just found out about this now:

Likewise, whereas as it was usually necessary to laboriously hoover up resources at the end of each mission in the original game, in the sequel, and thus now in both games, whatever resources are left unplundered at the end of one mission are automatically added to your stock for the next.
    apparently only a certain percentage gets auto collected. People are saying it was about 50-75% of what was left but it saves a tonne of time

apparently only a certain percentage gets auto collected. People are saying it was about 50-75% of what was left but it saves a tonne of time

Interesting. It seems it might only auto-harvest what you've scouted:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/244160/discussions/0/617328967247061051/

quarryman wrote: »
    And the error is?

[/i]

This is it.

Anyone any ideas what it is

Looks like it can't even find the Homeworld .exe file. Can you browse to that location? It looks weird with the \..\ after HWLauncher.

I'd try a full reinstall, and installed it to C:\Games\Homeword or something like that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Chaps, what are the minimum specs for this game?

My last dalliance with PC gaming was home world 2...which I still play..

Also cost?

Sorry for the lack of research in the back end of Mayo, coverage non existent

This is it.

Anyone any ideas what it is

Have you verified the integrity of the game cache. It's the first step I take when I have problems with Steam launched games.

Go into the Library on your Steam launch, right click Homeworld Remastered Collection, choose Properties, go to the Local Files tab, and click Verify Integrity of Game Cache. If there are missing files (which there seems to be) this will detect it.
    Chaps, what are the minimum specs for this game?

My last dalliance with PC gaming was home world 2...which I still play..

Also cost?

Sorry for the lack of research in the back end of Mayo, coverage non existent

Scrubbed from the Steam store page:

MINIMUM:
    Processor: 2.2GHz Dual Core Processor
    Memory: 1 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (512MB) / ATI Radeon HD4800 (512MB)
    Hard Drive: 20 GB available space
    Additional Notes: * Game engine uses OpenGL3.3 It is important that you get the latest drivers for your video card to ensure compatibility with this product.

RECOMMENDED:
    Processor: 2.3 GHz Quad Core Processor
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 / ATI Radeon HD 5850 (1GB VRAM)
    Hard Drive: 20 GB available space
    Additional Notes: * Game engine uses OpenGL3.3 It is important that you get the latest drivers for your video card to ensure compatibility with this product.

• Advertisement
Advertisement