Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Homeworld game (re released)

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Chaps, what are the minimum specs for this game?

My last dalliance with PC gaming was home world 2...which I still play..

Also cost?

Sorry for the lack of research in the back end of Mayo, coverage non existent

Cost me €28 i think, direct from Steam.
    Specs are pretty low as well, so anything over the last few years will play it. Below if from the nVidia website apparently.
    • Processor: 2.4 GHz Dual Core Processor
    • Memory: 2 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 / ATI Radeon HD 2600
    • Hard Drive: 20 GB available space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Cheers guys. First time I used steam so it's a learning curve. I'll mess around with it some more

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cheers folks, bought a hp about 6 months ago so should be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Just make sure Depth of Field is off and your frame rate should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Forgot how punishing and bastard hard game this is.....

Makes me miss games like this, also I HATE asteroids!

Cheers guys. I was missing 3 files. My anti virus software wasn't allowing them in. All sorted now I hope. Will be playing it later on tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

Reggie. wrote: »
    For a start this bad boy

Its the banana!

It was soon hard to turn off the computer after playing homeworld again. Lost so many hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Gearbox have released the first patch.

Sounds like they fixed a boat load of crashes, triggers failing to go off in the campaign, minor animations, sound effects and half a hundred other problems great and small.

That's great to see after only a week. Glad I waited before really having at the campaign.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    Gearbox have released the first patch.

Sounds like they fixed a boat load of crashes, triggers failing to go off in the campaign, minor animations, sound effects and half a hundred other problems great and small.

That's great to see after only a week. Glad I waited before really having at the campaign.

Will that update automatically on steam

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, i got the update earlier on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

They made the asteroid mission easier with that patch.

I failed it yesterday quite hard 4 times in a row before I gave up. Tried again today after the patch with the same ships and not one asteroid strike to the mothership. Not a single spec of damage the whole mission.

It's gone from "you need to reload the last mission and build the exact right ship" to "whatever ships you have will be a cakewalk.

Perhaps too easy now? There should be a happy medium.

I'd also like to add the resources management in this game is nuts. You struggle for resources for the first 7 or 8 missions and then I warped out of a mission and went from 10k to 235k. That's not a typo. Crazy. I can afford to lose a dozen fleets with that.

Kirby wrote: »
    I'd also like to add the resources management in this game is nuts. You struggle for resources for the first 7 or 8 missions and then I warped out of a mission and went from 10k to 235k. That's not a typo. Crazy. I can afford to lose a dozen fleets with that.

That's where you rob all around you :D

Apparently its a bug. Somebody messed up a multiplier on one of the missions.

I figured as much. 20 or 30k is one thing, but some people are collecting 500 thousand in a single mission automatically when they warp out. I'm sure it will get fixed at some point.

• Advertisement

I suppose it might promote an extremely aggressive and almost suicidal play style, but whether you have 50,000 RUs left or 100,000,000 doesn't make a huge difference when you're not building much after about mission 9.

I tried out a mulitplayer 3v3 vs some computers. I got my ass handed to me. I have no idea what the build order should be or how many resource collectors you should get. I'm not sure if the multiplayer would be any good given the slow nature of the game. Its a bit like Supreme Commander in that regard maybe so it could work.

Apparently its a bug. Somebody messed up a multiplier on one of the missions.

I figured as much. 20 or 30k is one thing, but some people are collecting 500 thousand in a single mission automatically when they warp out. I'm sure it will get fixed at some point.
    So get in quick :D

I tried out a mulitplayer 3v3 vs some computers. I got my ass handed to me. I have no idea what the build order should be or how many resource collectors you should get. I'm not sure if the multiplayer would be any good given the slow nature of the game. Its a bit like Supreme Commander in that regard maybe so it could work.

Against the computer you can be fairly greedy.

The HW2 races have a large advantage late game (because they can build 2 Battlecruisers and a Destroyer simultaneously) , but you can chisel out a niche in the mid-game and make an unassailable army. At least you can against the computer, because they don't harass.

With the HW1 races, the trick is to get carriers out as soon as possible - you need 2 corvette techs to keep you alive and 4 capital class techs to unlock it, unlike the HW2 races which only need to build a Capital Ship module.

The specifics will change a lot with balance changes, but I suspect you're going to need to get the max number of research vessels, saturate at least 3 resource pockets and get more carriers no matter what the situation is.

For the time being, Light Corvettes are the only HW1 combat strike craft worth building early on and they can be replaced with MG Corvettes later. They'll keep you alive, with maybe half a dozen assault frigates to help out if needs be.

The HW2 races are very easy to play but it's largely the same idea - get research and resourcing up asap, get corvettes to tide you over, crank out a couple of carriers and go from there.

The only fighter that causes any trouble is the Lance Fighter, because it's currently the only thing that can deal with Corvettes.

They made the asteroid mission easier with that patch.

I failed it yesterday quite hard 4 times in a row before I gave up. Tried again today after the patch with the same ships and not one asteroid strike to the mothership. Not a single spec of damage the whole mission.

It's gone from "you need to reload the last mission and build the exact right ship" to "whatever ships you have will be a cakewalk.

Perhaps too easy now? There should be a happy medium.

Doesn't bother me if that section is too easy now. It's a dumb mission anyway. Going from enjoyable combat to "oh we're going to arbitrarily take out half your fleet (if you don't move them out of the way)". I prefer that it's easy to get through and enjoy the "proper" missions.

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    Doesn't bother me if that section is too easy now. It's a dumb mission anyway. Going from enjoyable combat to "oh we're going to arbitrarily take out half your fleet (if you don't move them out of the way)". I prefer that it's easy to get through and enjoy the "proper" missions.

I like the variety. I had to try it a few times. The first time I couldn't get past the next few missions so had to go back. If you do it right, you don't lose anything.

The Asteroid mission and the mission where you need to move through the dust clouds to avoid radiation can eat many dicks....

Vicxas wrote: »
    The Asteroid mission and the mission where you need to move through the dust clouds to avoid radiation can eat many dicks....

Had to save so often on the radiation one... so annoying. Its best to have the long range sensors open so you can see if your ships are taking damage. There will be a red circular pulse coming out of them if they drift. I never got past that mission when the game first came out :eek:

Apparently turning off AA in the graphics settings can help to see the dust clouds.

Can anyone confirm what the latest version number is? (In the game Menu screen).

Mine says 1.21. I just wanted to confirm that's the latest.

Had to save so often on the radiation one... so annoying. Its best to have the long range sensors open so you can see if your ships are taking damage. There will be a red circular pulse coming out of them if they drift. I never got past that mission when the game first came out :eek:
    Gbear wrote: »
    Apparently turning off AA in the graphics settings can help to see the dust clouds.

The computer kept telling me to go into the dust clouds....I just had no idea where they were.....so I never used any of them. I left most of my fleet at home and just brought 5 destroyers in a straight line across the map. They have so much Health that it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

The computer kept telling me to go into the dust clouds....I just had no idea where they were.....so I never used any of them. I left most of my fleet at home and just brought 5 destroyers in a straight line across the map. They have so much Health that it works.

That's the trick my (younger) brother gave me back in the day. He was always better at RTS's.

It used to be fairly straightforward - you'd stick a few Support Frigates on your resourcers (and keep an eye on them, because they'd leave the first dust cloud and travel 50km to the other one and die along the way), inch through the main cloud which was at an angle of about 20deg downwards (and was really obvious), swipe your first heavy cruiser, kill the missile destroyer (cus they mangle salvage corvettes) and then take the quick skip out of the dust cloud and kill the station before quick docking and legging it.

It was always hard to move in a straight line at an angle in the 3d environment for a long time (it's the same in mission 4 or 5 at Gehenna in HW2). But you could always micro your way through it.

Don't fancy trying to do it blind though.

It had it's own sound track, the cool camera pan to the station and the frigate leaving the hanger and having yet another different environment with the cool sparks flying off and the supernova in the background.

After Starcraft and C&C, to not just have to build a big army and kill the bad guys, having those different flavours to the mission made it feel a lot less like a game. Supernova Station was one of the most memorable ones, despite it not really having that much going on on the face of it. It was all about the context.

Homeworld was always something very seperate to my other gaming experiences. I didn't really realise it at the time but looking back on it, it was probably the most captivating gaming experience I had as a child.
    Just like Half-Life, Homeworld integrated gameplay and story seamlessly. I'm not sure was it the first RTS I found that did that, but it was certainly the first I experienced.

It didn't need the talking head mission briefings or any appreciable human characters - it did everything on the strength of the voice acting, the art direction, the perfect integration of the soundtrack.
    There's no doubt in my mind that it's the greatest RTS ever made.

I've copped on to how you change the colours for the campaign.

You change your player Vs. CPU colours and the next time you hyperspace in the campaign you start the next mission with the new colour scheme.

There's still a few ships that stubbornly refuse to change but that was the same story in the original.

Finished the campaign in Homeworld 1. Enjoyable. My fleet was so devastating that I steamrolled the latter missions though.

On to Homeworld 2!

• Advertisement

Finished the campaign in Homeworld 1. Enjoyable. My fleet was so devastating that I steamrolled the latter missions though.

On to Homeworld 2!

Doing that at the minute. Found a few annoying bugs though

Reggie. wrote: »
    Doing that at the minute. Found a few annoying bugs though

Biggest ones seem to be missions not triggering, I had to reload the mission from the start a few times.

I noticed the last patch has made the game a little bit too easy. But i'm still enjoying it immensely.

Biggest ones seem to be missions not triggering, I had to reload the mission from the start a few times.

I noticed the last patch has made the game a little bit too easy. But i'm still enjoying it immensely.

Noticed that myself. Game didn't seem as hard as before. Also finding objectives not getting ticked off so I have to return to the start of the mission again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

quarryman wrote: »
    Interesting. It seems it might only auto-harvest what you've scouted:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/244160/discussions/0/617328967247061051/

Oh this is interesting, wish I'd read here before starting HW2.

On Mission 10 now. F'ck you f'cking
    Keepers

Advertisement