Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just an idea for Gig and Events forum

Options
  • 23-04-2014 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭

Now I know summer festivals can be classed as events or a whole bunch of separate gigs but page one of Gigs and Events has something like 13 or 14 festivals being discussed, does this not detract from singular day events, normal gigs during the week and what not.

Wouldn't it make sense to have a sub forum specifically for Irish festivals and festivals outside of Ireland. It would clean up the page a bit, it can get a little confusing sometimes when for example, someone brought up something concerning Sea Sessions 2013, now you have two Sea Session threads, someone might accidentally post 2014 info into the 2013 one, thats just an example really. I know I like to contribute regularly to the festival threads, but just thought I would throw this idea in anyway, feel free to lock if this has been discussed before and was vetoed.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I don't post here so i have no idea how active the forum is but i would be very careful not to split the community needlessly. What happens is you dilute it to much and no one posts as they go elsewhere.

It sounds like a solution to this could be to lock certain threads (2013 and keep 2014 open), or a naming convention or people being more careful when posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Duplicate threads can be merged and misplaced posts can be moved. It just takes a friendly nudge of the Report Button to bring it to the mods attention.

As Calhoun mentions above splitting the forum into two does tend to dilute posts in both. Another reason I dislike the idea of split forums is that we introduce a new grey area of what is or is not considered to be a festival. For example last year a pub in north Dublin ran a blues festival... 5 blues gigs...in the pub. Festival or not?

However I'll be sure the mods of the forum know this thread is here and if the mods feel that it is necessary or useful then we'll see what can be done.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

This has been suggested a lot of times. I'm against it.
    1 -Subforums get alot less traffic than reg forums.
    2 -All that's going to happen is there will be threads in both places.

Users don't read anything they are not interested in. Have a look at the 'non gig specific questions thread' as an example. Despite this being a sticky all we do is move posts into it from newly created threads.

So i'm against it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just FYI, Forum Requests is the place to suggest new (sub) forums.

People can give their 2 cents and +/- 1s there.
    Though if one of the forum mods doesn't think it's a good idea I'd tend to side with them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Got to agree with Dades that on this I usually defer to the local mods. They're the ones who see the impact the different threads in a forum has.

I think it's pretty easy to see the logical reason for letting the smaller events breathe a bit, but snapping the traffic in half can often kill the smaller forum in past experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Thanks for the feedback, it was just an idea I wanted to throw out there, I'm quite happy the way it is so all is grand.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement