Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobhunting, losing hope

Options
  • 23-04-2014 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all,

This is the first time I post here so sorry if I post it at the wrong place but I was wondering if anyone has some tips or help/advice for me.

Last year I moved to ireland to my boyfriend.Now since then I have send out by e-mail and handed out by hand in stores about 300/400 cv's and only one interview...

By now I am really losing hope and am feeling incredibly guilty that my boyfriend has been paying for every bill and all the grocerys etc all alone and I can't do a thing about it.

I have been trying to find a reschooling course or something without fee's as I don't have any money to pay any tuition but no succes. Any internships I have applied for were unsuccesfull as well.

I'm originally from holland and don't know all the irish systems 100% yet so if anyone knows anything that I might have missed and/or could help me in any way I would very much appreciate it! Even a parttime job would be fine with me to start with... just anything.

Greetings

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

What do you do, Alice? Retail? anything else?

Have you any sales or Customer Services experience?

Where do you live? (City/town)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Hi Alice, I sympathise with your plight.

You are obviously bi-lingual so why not try and exploit that skill that you have. Are there any Dutch companys set up near you, or companys importing or exporting to Holland?

I wish you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Try call centres (typically for American multi-nationals, that hire language speakers. Your Dutch (and whatever other languanges you have) are your biggest asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 alice.

I live in Dublin, and my english isn't fluent, I can speak very well, but it isn't enough for the most company. I don't want to be sitting on my arse at home I want to get into a job or something. This endless hunt without results is taking me down too much and needs to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

alice. wrote: »
    I live in Dublin, and my english isn't fluent, I can speak very well, but it isn't enough for the most company. I don't want to be sitting on my arse at home I want to get into a job or something. This endless hunt without results is taking me down too much and needs to end.

Are you playing down your own ability or have you gone for this job role and told your English is not good enough? Maybe get some English language books/cds from the library and improve your English while you are job seeking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

While looking you should be studying for something like the cambridge english certificates. While the courses are not free they're not prohibitivly expensive. Your written english is not great (although its is lot better then you seem to think)and that can be imporved relativly quickly.

You should be on social welfare and a lot of people I know who are on social welfare study on that money. So basically, there is absoloutly no excuse for not upskilling while out of work.

While looking you should be studying for something like the cambridge english certificates. While the courses are not free they're not prohibitivly expensive. Your written english is not great (although its is lot better then you seem to think)and that can be imporved relativly quickly.

You should be on social welfare and a lot of people I know who are on social welfare study on that money. So basically, there is absoloutly no excuse for not upskilling while out of work.

I would agree with this. Even if you are not entitled to any money, you would be able to avail of courses to upskill. Go to your local Social Welfare Office and set up a meeting with an advisor and see what help they can give.
    Sending emails may not be the best way to go. Look on all shop, local business websites and see if they have anything going and apply there. You could also just go to all shops in the local area, ask to see HR manager and hope for the best.
    Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Have you thought about applying for customer service/call centre jobs for Dutch speakers. There are loads of companies in Dublin looking for native language speakers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

bee06 wrote: »
    Have you thought about applying for customer service/call centre jobs for Dutch speakers. There are loads of companies in Dublin looking for native language speakers.

THis IBM in Dublin have a massive campaign at the moment for people to work in sales across Europe

Check out http://www.careerjet.ie/ibm-dutch-jobs.html

The work is in Dutch, they do about 30 days training etc, and you'll pick up English fairly quickly working in that environment

Advertisement