Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor bollard lighting

Options
  • 24-04-2014 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some advice. When building house I had the electrician put an electrical light cable in the garden. This is an armoured cable with a junction box at the end of the cable. I now want to fit three outdoor bollard lights. I would have no problem connecting one light but just not sure of best way to link the three bollard lights. I am not looking for separate switches. The one switch will control the three lights and this switch is already fitted in the house and there is power to the cable when switched on.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Just daisy chain from your first light, is the cable from the house able to reach one of the 3 positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

You will need to use a suitable type and size of cable (probably SWA) and correctly terminate it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭turninggreen

Hi,

Thanks for responses.

The cable is right beside the first position for the light. I have also realised that the cable (which is SWA) is too wide to go up inside the bollard and have a return cable for a daisy chain. Can I strip back the cable armouring and just insert the core wires into the bollard and then return out with a cable to the next, strip back again and return out to the third. How do I "correctly terminate". Does this mean I have to exit from the third and final bollard and end in a junction box with the SWA sleeved.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭mcgragger

Hi,

Thanks for responses.

The cable is right beside the first position for the light. I have also realised that the cable (which is SWA) is too wide to go up inside the bollard and have a return cable for a daisy chain. Can I strip back the cable armouring and just insert the core wires into the bollard and then return out with a cable to the next, strip back again and return out to the third. How do I "correctly terminate". Does this mean I have to exit from the third and final bollard and end in a junction box with the SWA sleeved.

Thanks again.

you can strip back the armour and the pvc layers inside the bollard,the junction box on the tail left in the garden just suggests the sparks that left it there wasn't lazy.

Are you going to use SWA glands for termination?

Just match brown with brown, blue with blue etc.
    When you get to the last light you should have 1 brown, 1 blue and the earth, just connect them to the lighting terminal block and thats that.

just be sure to make sure all cables are powered off before you start .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭turninggreen

Hi All,

Thks for the replies. Having looked at the video, which is excellent, I think I am going to take a short cut and just install a single bulkhead light. If I am reading you right it looks like I would need to do a swa gland for each light, which I know would not be easy with the bollard opening for the cable. After half an hour I suspect the air might be blue and I would be dancing on top of the lights!

Advertisement