Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do orthodontists ever remove molars?

Options
  • 24-04-2014 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting braces. Years back I went for a prelim exam and was told I'd need a tooth removed to make room.

I currently have an upper molar (#14 I think) that's pretty much non-existent. I was told that my latest filling would be my last (if it held.) The tooth is now giving me constant pain, so I assume it's going to come down to RCT or extraction. There's so little structure left, I assume it's going to require a post and crown.

I keep mentioning orthodontics to my dentist, but they don't want to talk about it, taking the view that it's something that happens afterwards. At this point I'm getting cut-off when I even mention braces. Now, I understand the why, but constantly niggling is the thought of spending the best part of a grand getting a tooth fixed, when it's the obvious weak link and may be on the chopping block.

Is it worth going to an orthodontist, or is removing a molar for braces unheard of?

One of the major dangers of an extraction seems to be complications from other teeth moving, but, if the braces are up to that anyway...

I'm probably being far too optimistic here.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

I think my dad got a few molars removed due to gum disease, this would have been the 70s though.

We elect to extract teeth mainly for the creation of space in crowded dental arches. The tooth which is of poorest prognosis in the long term is the tooth which we choose as we like to preserve teeth that will most likely last longer for the patient. So taking molars is not unheard of. It depends of course on which side the crowding needs to be resolved and if your midline is off to one side.
    Getting on orthodontic opinion won't do you any harm. In fact they would give you a good idea as to the potential treatment plan and which teeth are most likely to need extraction (if any). This would then help you later in making decisions,should the problematic tooth become an issue.
    Hope this helps

Advertisement