Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long for keys?

Options
  • 24-04-2014 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭

I know I should have asked solicitor but he seems to just make up stuff whenever he's asked anything time related.

How long between signing contracts and getting the keys? Someone in a previous thread said it takes time because of the loan, what if there's no loan/mortgage?

The closing date is the 16th of May.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,418 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How long is a piece of string?

If the moving date is critical for you, you need to tell your solicitor - I think the term is "time is of the essence". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_is_of_the_essence

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

mauzo! wrote: »
    I know I should have asked solicitor but he seems to just make up stuff whenever he's asked anything time related.

How long between signing contracts and getting the keys? Someone in a previous thread said it takes time because of the loan, what if there's no loan/mortgage?

The closing date is the 16th of May.

Have the vendors signed and sent them back to your solicitor? Are you at first stage signing or further on? If they have, I don't see what the hold up would be, especially without a mortgage. It takes about 4 weeks if vendors have signed and everything is in order. That's mainly for drawing down the mortgage and lining up the insurance policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Have the vendors signed and sent them back to your solicitor? Are you at first stage signing or further on? If they have, I don't see what the hold up would be, especially without a mortgage. It takes about 4 weeks if vendors have signed and everything is in order. That's mainly for drawing down the mortgage and lining up the insurance policies.

Vendors have signed, we were told it could be a week after closing date, which is the 16th of May. Just getting impatient :o

I'd ask the solicitor but he's been telling us 6 weeks since January!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

mauzo! wrote: »
    Vendors have signed, we were told it could be a week after closing date, which is the 16th of May. Just getting impatient :o

I'd ask the solicitor but he's been telling us 6 weeks since January!

You should get the keys the same date that the money is paid over which is usually the closing date. Would not be happy to wait a week and would be looking for a reason. Both Solicitors meet at the closing and once your payment is made and is cleared funds, your Solicitor will receive the keys.

Trish56 wrote: »
    You should get the keys the same date that the money is paid over which is usually the closing date. Would not be happy to wait a week and would be looking for a reason. Both Solicitors meet at the closing and once your payment is made and is cleared funds, your Solicitor will receive the keys.

Great thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

it took me 6 mnths to get the keys.

the other side kept changing the closing date, and just generally being a pain in the arse

John Mason wrote: »
    it took me 6 mnths to get the keys.

the other side kept changing the closing date, and just generally being a pain in the arse

Oh God don't say that to me!!! :(

Advertisement