Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spray car with aerosol cans

• 24-04-2014 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to spray a car with aerosol cans? Looks the cheaper option. I am not fussy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

yea, why not ?? but it is depends what finish you expecting. if you need car just to move from A to B , and pass NCT , then is fine ... not goin look good though , but reasonably ... to match color on logbook .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It is possible but will look crap. If that's not a concern then why not.
    www.joshgulch.com/index/andycar.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

When you consider how many cans you will need it might not be the cheapest option a can will not cover much of an area as you will need to go over the car with at least 3 coats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭cletus

Depends. Are you feathering in an area on a door/wing etc after repair work, or are you planning to spray the entire car

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭raher1

cletus wrote: »
    Depends. Are you feathering in an area on a door/wing etc after repair work, or are you planning to spray the entire car
    I was thinking the roof. It's lost some of it colour. Gone a bit white. Was red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Yes it is, only 2 weeks ago I was gobsmacked to see a guy using aerosols to spray an entire car. Had it primed and was in the process of spraying it green.
    Think it was an old Saab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

raher1 wrote: »
    I was thinking the roof. It's lost some of it colour. Gone a bit white. Was red.

You'd probably get it back with a good machine polish. That whiteness is oxidation of the paint and can be polished back.

Chimaera wrote: »
    You'd probably get it back with a good machine polish. That whiteness is oxidation of the paint and can be polished back.

Where could this process be done,the polishing? There is spits of rusts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Yes it is, only 2 weeks ago I was gobsmacked to see a guy using aerosols to spray an entire car. Had it primed and was in the process of spraying it green.
    Think it was an old Saab.

It wasn't me i swear :pac:

I've sprayed small parts of my old car with cans, they turned out fine, has to be done right though, you can't just lob on the primer and paint and go "jaysis I'm mighty"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Wanna be careful though not to hold the can over one spot to long as it will show up when the car is done (ie- there will be more paint on that spot). It's nigh on impossible to get a professional look with a can of spray and your hand, compared to the proper mechanism, that said, you said you're not fussy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

It's possible, and it doesn't have to look crap. Here's what I did.

Oa40Mc0l.jpg
    Oey0Bs0l.jpg
    Fet7zjzl.jpg

Hey Gvidor, can you not take that bora in the background, since you're on about them!?

What do you mean?

Lets take it to the chat thread :pac:

GvidoR wrote: »

Oa40Mc0l.jpg
    Oey0Bs0l.jpg
    Fet7zjzl.jpg

How many cans did that take?

raher1 wrote: »
    How many cans did that take?

6 cans, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,075 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Opinions are gas, Ted.

dodzy wrote: »
    Opinions are gas, Ted.

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

6 cans, I think.

Shudda got 7. Would have had enough for the petrol flap then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

]

I'm sorry, but that looks cr@p :confused:

Op, if its just the roof that's bad why not look into a vinyl wrap.

• Advertisement

Neilw wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but that looks cr@p :confused:

Could you be more specific?

What's the problem? The fact that it's matte or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

If its a red car and the roof is faded badly your better off just to give it a buff and polish it up. I will send you a pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,075 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Could you be more specific?

What's the problem? The fact that it's matte or what?
    ... or what.

And that it is matt

dodzy wrote: »
    ... or what.

And here I was expecting a mature answer... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

I think GvidoR effort is a significant improvement and must have taken some effort. Not everyone has the cash or the need for a pro finish. I might not like the matt but that is just opinion. What prep did you do and how long ago was it done and how is it lasting?

A matt finish like that must be a magnet for dirt, no shiney surface to repel rain or splashes

I think GvidoR effort is a significant improvement and must have taken some effort. Not everyone has the cash or the need for a pro finish. I might not like the matt but that is just opinion. What prep did you do and how long ago was it done and how is it lasting?

Cleaned it and then sanded it before painting. Don't know if you noticed but I removed the rear door handles as well. I had the car for almost a year and the paint held up perfectly. I could've sprayed clear coat / lacquer on top for a glossy finish, but that's not what I wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Cleaned it and then sanded it before painting. Don't know if you noticed but I removed the rear door handles as well. I had the car for almost a year and the paint held up perfectly. I could've sprayed clear coat / lacquer on top for a glossy finish, but that's not what I wanted.

how do you open the back doors. Surely that's an NCT failure.

• Advertisement

emeldc wrote: »
    how do you open the back doors. Surely that's an NCT failure.

Door poppers can be installed, but I didn't bother - it was more practice and stuff than anything else. I sold it on as a field car so it's all good. :)

BTW: I have sprayed the boot on my daily car with a spray can (plasti dip but that doesn't change anything really) and it came out perfect.

Advertisement