Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring in a car kit remote

Options
  • 24-04-2014 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

I know this may be better suited in motors, but it's pretty specific to electrics.

Basically I have a parott car kit with a wireless remote (mki9200) and am having huge problems with it. I've narrowed it down to the battery in the remote. A new battery works for a short while but then stops. Even on a hot day when the car is hot, it doesn't work, but it I rub the battery it will work for a few minutes.

So the plan is to hard wire the remote into the car. It takes a CR2032 battery.

I plan on using something along the lines of this and was wondering if it will be ok?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00ASJR7VI?pc_redir=1397793957&robot_redir=1

Assuming it will technically work, should I have any concerns about it draining the car battery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I know you know this already, but the motors guys are much better placed to address this question. I asked about wiring parrot units there myself a few years ago and got a decent response.

If you want it moved let us know.

Regards

I'd be a little dubious the buck converter you posted is suitable. Your in car supply is a variable 9.5v - 15v range. It'd probably work but you'd be better off with a car specific one. Pricey for what it is.

Re: draining the car battery, the self consumption is very low (less than 50mA...my meter doesn't go any lower than 100mA and it's lower than that pretending to be a 9v PP3 under load), depends on your device consumption, you could always take your +12v off an ignition switched source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It may simply be the metal contacts in the remote not making good contact with the battery.

If this is the case, replacing the battery, or doing anything that involves removing the battery and refitting it, may appear to work for a while simply because you are remaking contact with metal contacts when refitting the battery.

Then after a while its possible the contact fails again.

Yeah I was thinking that too. Usually you can pull the springs back into form and maybe scratch the surface oxidants off a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yea or just slightly bend the metal contact a little to make it make better contact with the battery.

Id say its a fairly good possibility that is the problem anyway.

• Advertisement

...or stick some filler onto the back of the battery to tighten the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

alexlyons wrote: »
    I know this may be better suited in motors, but it's pretty specific to electrics.

Basically I have a parott car kit with a wireless remote (mki9200) and am having huge problems with it. I've narrowed it down to the battery in the remote. A new battery works for a short while but then stops. Even on a hot day when the car is hot, it doesn't work, but it I rub the battery it will work for a few minutes.

So the plan is to hard wire the remote into the car. It takes a CR2032 battery.

I plan on using something along the lines of this and was wondering if it will be ok?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00ASJR7VI?pc_redir=1397793957&robot_redir=1

Assuming it will technically work, should I have any concerns about it draining the car battery?
    they are a fabulous unit best left stock. Any warranty left on the unit? If not, I'd still send a nice email to parrot explaining your problem. They might sort you out with a replacement. Failing that, if you were feeling flush, 30£ Or thereabouts would get you an OEM replacement from amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Thanks folks.

Its not the contacts, I've been through a lot of troubleshooting steps with it and nothing seems to work. It's had a few people baffled.

As regards another remote, I'm not completely convinced its the remote, so a cheap solution like the inverter I'd be happy to test.
    When it does work, what often happens is if I use the main selection wheel, it thinks I've held it down and changes to night mode (or vice versa) when the button 100% definitely is not still contacted, even in the inners of the remote. Which points me to a software problem of the blue box...

On Second thoughts, ye maybe move this to motors! Thanks for the help here though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭legin500

I had an issue like this before. If you update the software for the kit it should solve your problem. If you have a bluetooth laptop its simple to do. All the instructions are on the parrot website.

Software is up to date

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The battery contact inside the remote is bent back a slight touch and causing the issue. I deal with tonnes of these issues in work. Best bet is to buy a new remote inline and pair it up to your system and all should be well again.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    The battery contact inside the remote is bent back a slight touch and causing the issue. I deal with tonnes of these issues in work. Best bet is to buy a new remote inline and pair it up to your system and all should be well again.

As I've said, no its not. But thanks for the tip.

Advertisement