Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does your toddler wear on their feet at home?

Options
  • 24-04-2014 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭

As above, say when your toddler is at home in the morning etc. What do you have on their feet? My 16 month old generally wears socks with grips on them, wondering about getting him slippers maybe, any recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My 15 month old tends to always go bare foot. He is takes shoes and socks off .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

First one always wore socks, insisted on them, complained if they weren't on or weren't on right. 14 month old takes them off with great joy and loves going around barefoot. So the first one is me, and the second my wife. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I put slippers on mine, because we have sort of stone floors which can be cold, and slippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My 2 year old wears socks. Ive about 5 different pairs of slippers i bought over the past year but she never kept any on so i just gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

18 month old usually goes barefoot. If we've been out then we'll pop her shoes off and leave her socks on, but within a few minutes she'll have removed them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Socks generally, but he prefers to go barefoot, lately he wants to have his shoes on but I like him to have a break
    for the shoes, haven't tried the slippers yet, he is 20 months old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Prefers to be barefoot but recently bought him a pair of crocs and for some reason he loves them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

+1 for crocs....my two LOVE their crocs !!! easy for them to put on/off, protects bare foot and have grip on tiles and stairs.

bumper234 wrote: »
    Prefers to be barefoot but recently bought him a pair of crocs and for some reason he loves them :D

What age is your toddler? Im really battling with the when do I not have to put the really expensive branded footwear on his feet, wearing shoes for 6 months, I see kids going around in "next" brand shoes and similiar high street store shoes, Just forked out another 50 quid on a pair, terrified i will ruin his feet if I put him in anything less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Rose35 wrote: »
    What age is your toddler? Im really battling with the when do I not have to put the really expensive branded footwear on his feet, wearing shoes for 6 months, I see kids going around in "next" brand shoes and similiar high street store shoes, Just forked out another 50 quid on a pair, terrified i will ruin his feet if I put him in anything less.

He is 2& 3 months. I put a stop to that straight away when herself paid £60 for a pair of nikes that lasted 2 months:eek: When i say "crocs" I actually got them in Tesco in Clare hall last week when looking for tshirts for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Rose we had yo bring the little man to physio and she said it doesn't matter if shoes are €5 or €50 as long as they have the proper support on the sole and heel.

We try to keep shoes and socks on my little man but he just takes them off. Even in the car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Anything goes with my daughter...she's 2 and sometimes is barefoot, sometimes wears socks or slippers or shoes or a mixture of any of the above...depends on her mood :rolleyes:

As for shoes, I tend to have 1 good quality pair for her which she wears most of the time, and then a cheaper pair and/or runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Our 17month old always wears his shoes and socks in the house. He's a door opener and slammer so I'm constantly worried if he's in his bare feet he'll open the doors over his little toes. He's always slipping if he's in his socks (grips or no grips) due to the tiles we have and the wooden floors. So it's shoes and socks all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Barefoot. In winter, I'd cut the feet part out of her tights. Wooden floors, so she was much more stable barefoot. (Btw - she's not a toddler anymore lol).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

My toddler wears moccons around the house if it's cold, the tiled floor usually is! They're a mocassin slipper with built in sock which she can't take off easily. Have bought them as gifts for people also, love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭annamarie2013

Just wondering at what stage I should buy his first pair of shoes? Fourteen months old now and is not fully walking yet but not far off it.

Just wondering at what stage I should buy his first pair of shoes? Fourteen months old now and is not fully walking yet but not far off it 😄

I bought her first pair of shoes when she wanted to get out and toddle outside. They'll only last a couple of months though and then you'll have to buy more. Every three months or so at that age in my experience!

You can't go wrong with Clarks. They're expensive, but they've been doing kids shoes for donkeys years. If money is an issue, research in-store and buy online where they're a bit cheaper. Their staff are great for measuring though.
    Sligo1 wrote: »
    Our 17month old always wears his shoes and socks in the house. He's a door opener and slammer so I'm constantly worried if he's in his bare feet he'll open the doors over his little toes. He's always slipping if he's in his socks (grips or no grips) due to the tiles we have and the wooden floors. So it's shoes and socks all the time.

Not meaning to criticise, but it's not good for their feet to be in shoes all the time. (It's not good for ours either, for that matter, but that's neither here not there.)
    Just wondering at what stage I should buy his first pair of shoes? Fourteen months old now and is not fully walking yet but not far off it.

You can get shoes with light soles called "cruisers" that are great for toddlers that are just getting their feet. It's generally recommended that proper shoes should be avoided until they're walking properly.

rovoagho wrote: »
    You can't go wrong with Clarks. They're expensive, but they've been doing kids shoes for donkeys years.

Not meaning to criticise, but it's not good for their feet to be in shoes all the time.

You can get shoes with light soles called "cruisers" that are great for toddlers that are just getting their feet. It's generally recommended that proper shoes should be avoided until they're walking properly.

Sorry but I found this brand to be awful, fell apart around heels in no time, using Start Rite, Garvalin, and Garvalin biomechanics( i think) latest pair, always spent money on shoes but just wondered when I can buy the latest high street brand for example, the expensive shoes aren't always the trendiest either, thanks guys for the replies.
    Money is not an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I recently got Start Rite shoes for my kid (and he loves them to bits). Someone made a good point to me that I took on board, they advised against going to a big shop like Clarks and to go to a small independent shop. We did this, she measured his foot and brought out whatever they had that fit him. Have heard stories of bigger shops selling what they have rather than what the kid needs.

• Advertisement

I remember that stage and was told to let them get established on their feet first before getting the shoes, I think I waited about 4 weeks before I was sure he was ready.

That's exactly what we got with Clarks in Cork, great service altogether. My 14 month old is in his own shoes now but that's simply because he grew out of my 2.5 year old's shoes, via his cruisers. Battered but perfectly functional.

rovoagho wrote: »
    You can't go wrong with Clarks. They're expensive, but they've been doing kids shoes for donkeys years. If money is an issue, research in-store and buy online where they're a bit cheaper. Their staff are great for measuring though.

Not meaning to criticise, but it's not good for their feet to be in shoes all the time. (It's not good for ours either, for that matter, but that's neither here not there.)

He only wears them when inside running around. Id prefer not to risk broken toes. :)

I actually found Clarke awful. The tongues in the clarkes we bought kept coming out. What a waste of €55.

We have used start rite, ecco also brilliant. Extremely expensive tho! :(

I'm 100% behind Ecco too!! My daughter has a long thin foot though, and they were the only ones which would fit her generally!

sopretty wrote: »
    I'm 100% behind Ecco too!! My daughter has a long thin foot though, and they were the only ones which would fit her generally!

Yes they are by far the best brand we have tried. Nearly died when I had to hand over the €65! But we will be sticking with Ecco from now on.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Yes they are by far the best brand we have tried. Nearly died when I had to hand over the €65! But we will be sticking with Ecco from now on.

They're worth it. They're as flexible as runners too, for when they're in school and have to wear 'proper' shoes. Hard to find a stockist these days where I live!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

emer_b wrote: »
    My toddler wears moccons around the house if it's cold, the tiled floor usually is! They're a mocassin slipper with built in sock which she can't take off easily. Have bought them as gifts for people also, love them.

Can I ask where you get these?

Can I ask where you get these?

I got these before in a nursery/baby shop...I am based in Mayo so shop was Little Angels, think they have an online shop

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

I got these before in a nursery/baby shop...I am based in Mayo so shop was Little Angels, think they have an online shop

I got mine in Joyce's supermarket in tuam. They are a great job. Especially on tiles and wooden flooring. Have seen them on ebay. They were 8 euro in the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

http://skidders.com/blacklowtopsxy8105.aspx

We have these and I honestly think they are best thing ever. Everyone who has noticed them in playcentres etc. Comments on them and asks where I got them. It was tx maxx in Galway, I've seen them there now and then again. Also less expensive than on that offical site. I've also recently noticed that Jojo maman Bebe have their own version.

Advertisement