Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terenure 5 Mile - 18th of May

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Very well organised event as usual, although the one gripe I'd have is that the pacers went far too quickly in the first mile. The sub 30 lads went through the first split in 5:41. Reading on here and speaking to some people afterwards, it seems it was the same across all pace bands? Pacing Mule told me the sub 40 lads went through one mile in 7:15! :eek:
    I managed to hold on and nail the sub 30 by two seconds, but there were plenty behind me who didn't. One guy asked if we were going too quickly in the first mile and was told no, but I think he was right.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Thanks - but would it not make more sense for the results to be in Net order ?

This argument again???

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

Not sure about other pace groups, but I ran with the 50 min group and I crossed the line in 49.31 so very happy with that, thanks to both pacers for doing a great job!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Results look a bit off. No way did it take me 17 seconds to cross the start line? :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Mine is ok, Chip 38:30, Gun 39:09

Garmin gave me 38:30 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

The issues where runners start too far forwards is one the affects so, so many races. With the type of numbers we had today I think it's worth us considering placards up in the start area indicating 35/40/45/50 etc. That said, as we all know, there are people who just don't get it!! With regards to the pacers and the first mile, I do think it's tough to pace a race as short as 5 miles but we got a very good reaction to it. Needless to say, if the pacers in general went off too fast that's something we'll resolve for next time.

• Advertisement

Results look a bit off. No way did it take me 17 seconds to cross the start line? :eek:

Probably allowing for you to crash your bike and have two doses of lady flu before you got going ;)

Random multi posting there Al!

YES DIGGER I GET SICK AND CRASH MY BIKE A LOT. We heard you the first time. Jeez Louise...talkabout over doing the joke! :P

YES DIGGER I GET SICK AND CRASH MY BIKE A LOT. We heard you the first time. Jeez Louise...talkabout over doing the joke! :P

Jeez, what's with this tablet, it's taken me 10 minutes to delete all those repeat posts! Good to see you back racing btw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭Infoanon

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Very well organised event as usual, although the one gripe I'd have is that the pacers went far too quickly in the first mile. The sub 30 lads went through the first split in 5:41. Reading on here and speaking to some people afterwards, it seems it was the same across all pace bands? Pacing Mule told me the sub 40 lads went through one mile in 7:15! :eek:
    I managed to hold on and nail the sub 30 by two seconds, but there were plenty behind me who didn't. One guy asked if we were going too quickly in the first mile and was told no, but I think he was right.

This argument again???

first time I have raised it - gross makes no sense at all especially when the starting field was so mixed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Agree that pacing the shorter distance events is probably more difficult and can be hard to get right. Seems like a few of the lads were worried about losing time early, but probably overdid the banking time a small bit in the first mile. In saying that, if they fell behind early it would be hard to make up time in such a short race. It's a hard job and I don't mean to sound too critical. Its the only thing I would say about the race that is negative in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Infoanon wrote: »
    first time I have raised it - gross makes no sense at all especially when the starting field was so mixed up.

The gun time is the official time. It really is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

I love this race. I started up the front and had little take me over. There was about 60-70 ahead of me and I finished 78th. I was going to let the 30 min pacers know they hit the first mile in 5:44 but I was also ahead so let it go. I did have to let a shout to try get people to spread out as it get very tight at the first turn. All in all it was a great race and was a 2 min improvement in the last years race.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fiona44

First time doing it and really enjoyed this race! Will definitely be back next year.

My only gripe was people lining up too far forward and causing congestion. I think the reason this race suffers particularly bad from this might be because you arrive at the start line from the front when lining up so it's easier for people just to stay up towards the front instead of walking to the back.

Great spread of food afterwards and great flat course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Not sure about other pace groups, but I ran with the 50 min group and I crossed the line in 49.31 so very happy with that, thanks to both pacers for doing a great job!

And I ran with (or actually trailing slightly behind :)) the 35s and thought they were great, I didn't look at my watch at all, just concentrated on staying close to them. Crossed the line in 34.4x on the clock -- chip time about 30 seconds under 35, so that was perfect for me. Thanks very much to all the pacers and volunteers. Great race, Sportsworld! (It was my first time doing it even though I run around Terenure all the time on my lunchtime runs).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

First time doing this. Really enjoyed the race, well done to the organisers and marshals. Someone really should have run those annoying FG canvassers off the KCR turn but hey you can't have everything. :p

Free grub afterwards? I really should read the small print. Was feckin' starving too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Why can't some people turn up on time. I was a spectator today and was standing near the start. The amount of people still casually making their way to the to the start just a the race was about to start. What part of 'race starts at 11am' can't they understand. Must be very annoying for the organisers.
    Also, I noticed one guy finished in about 30 minutes, he was fairly over-weight, wonder how fast he could run it if he lost a couple of stone.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Good race today, good value too. Plenty of food afterwards if you like scones and Wonka bars, a few sambos would be nice but I'm not complaining. Maybe I was just too slow for the sambos!

Anyone know what website the finishing photos will be on?

Start waves of some description would be good if it could be done, maybe sub 35, then sub 45 then all others or something like that. Start is a little crowded with people up the front who are just about jogging but that happens in all races really. A wave system might help.

Didn't use the pacers today myself but fair play for having them on a short race. The only suggestion I'd make there would be to try and use the coloured flags things like they use in the marathon - much easier to see if you are a bit back.

Overall very good race, my third time and I'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Very good race, excellent organization. I really enjoyed it. Great to see so many familiar faces on and off course.

Excellent to race near where you grew up, on roads which often have my training runs done on them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Hats off to Sportsworld on a really, really excellent race! My first time doing it and I'll definitely be back.
    Thanks so much to all the wonderful supporters (Mr Stew and Raycun to name a few:D) and to all the super marshals (especially digger:D)
    Before the start I heard Frank Greally say that this was race where you knew exactly where your entry fee was going; Debra Ireland and Sportsworld. I was delighted to support such a wonderful cause and the young lady who spoke on behalf of Debra Ireland before the prize-giving really brought home to me just how wonderful it was that Sportsworld had pledged such a huge amount to such a deserving charity.

Congrats to all who ran, it was great to catch up with so many boardsies before and after (even though I didn't quite manage to catch up with PVincentwink.png)

• Advertisement

Marthastew wrote: »
    Hats off to Sportsworld on a really, really excellent race! My first time doing it and I'll definitely be back.
    Thanks so much to all the wonderful supporters (Mr Stew and Raycun to name a few:D) and to all the super marshals (especially digger:D)
    Before the start I heard Frank Greally say that this was race where you knew exactly where your entry fee was going; Debra Ireland and Sportsworld. I was delighted to support such a wonderful cause and the young lady who spoke on behalf of Debra Ireland before the prize-giving really brought home to me just how wonderful it was that Sportsworld had pledged such a huge amount to such a deserving charity.

Congrats to all who ran, it was great to catch up with so many boardsies before and after (even though I didn't quite manage to catch up with PVincentwink.png)

Great to see the 2013 ladies national 50k champion line up today ;) Myself and Joe had an interesting conversation about female sprinters ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

+ 1 to the Sportsworld compliments. Great day all round. :)

Drop the red tees for next year please Sportsworld. And less of the medium and large, more of the small. (Does it cost less to get equal amounts of small, med, large than get larger amounts of small?)

edit: this is lighthearted I don't care about t-shirts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

My first time doing this race today and my first club race as well. Really enjoyed it. Thought the course was nice, well organised as well and nice feed after. Well done to everyone involved, will definitely be back again despite the fact it's a good bit out of my way - a good sign! ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Very well organised and marshalled, decent amount of support around the course including the bould Joe Dunne and his amplified shouts :D - will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SureWhyNot!

Can't say I enjoyed the race while running, but in hindsight it was a great day. Great course, super crowd, a great field that meant there was always someone to chase or battle shoulder to shoulder and nice hospitality to finish.

A couple of questions:

Why do you have to register for the team event on the day? Had a bit of sprint from the start line to get my name down. I would have though it would be all done automatically once you enter your club online? Anyway, worked out as I ran for the seniors instead of the masters and picked up a some cash for the trouble ;-)

On the t-shirts... I've more than my fair share of short sleeve technical tops, but listening to the Debra Ireland talk afterwards I was struck by the idea. If given the option I would have selected to go without a t-shirt if it meant an extra couple of euro for the charity. Would it be difficult to add this to the entry form or to manage it at registration?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SureWhyNot!

Also kudos to the pacers for stepping forward... tough to manage such a short race. Lose anything on the first mile and you'll be in for some serious overtaking manoeuvres to get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Hi again..

I was first to mention about the pacers being a bit quick.. (living near means you get back to being a keyboard warrior before anybody else!!)

However, I fully accept that its hard to get it right over a short distance and its up to us all to run our own race.

IIRC 2 years ago there were complaints about people cutting corners.. Glad to say this was not possible this year and the good people from sportsworld very carefully marshalled the race..

I rushed off after.. Didnt get to experience the hospitality .. Next year!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

doughef wrote: »
    Hi again..

I was first to mention about the pacers being a bit quick.. (living near means you get back to being a keyboard warrior before anybody else!!)

However, I fully accept that its hard to get it right over a short distance and its up to us all to run our own race.

IIRC 2 years ago there were complaints about people cutting corners.. Glad to say this was not possible this year and the good people from sportsworld very carefully marshalled the race..

I rushed off after.. Didnt get to experience the hospitality .. Next year!! :pac:

Sounds like all the pacers got caught out with a fast start tbh. The 40 min group went through the first mile in approx 7:30 from what I saw. But fair play to them for stepping up to do it and for Sportsworld to have put them in play in the first place. I don't think any of the pace groups arrived in early as such so I just consider it banking more time than I would have liked to have banked :) Makes for a great addition for a shorter race.

Saw a few lads cut the sharp corner at Terenure village but that's their own loss. For me anyone cutting corners has a hollow race time and let them fool themselves (as long as they weren't in the places of course !) There was nooooo chance of anyone cutting through the garage though :D

I've often heard on boards about the difference between a club race and a big commercial race and now I understand it. Great race and great atmosphere.

• Advertisement

Can't say I enjoyed the race while running, but in hindsight it was a great day. Great course, super crowd, a great field that meant there was always someone to chase or battle shoulder to shoulder and nice hospitality to finish.

A couple of questions:

Why do you have to register for the team event on the day? Had a bit of sprint from the start line to get my name down. I would have though it would be all done automatically once you enter your club online? Anyway, worked out as I ran for the seniors instead of the masters and picked up a some cash for the trouble ;-)

On the t-shirts... I've more than my fair share of short sleeve technical tops, but listening to the Debra Ireland talk afterwards I was struck by the idea. If given the option I would have selected to go without a t-shirt if it meant an extra couple of euro for the charity. Would it be difficult to add this to the entry form or to manage it at registration?

Hi, not sure re: your first question but I'll check. On the second point, I know some races give an option of a price with/without a t-shirt... In this case we had agreed to donate that sum to Debra Ireland no matter what which I think was a great idea.

On the point of Debra , the Sportsworld ladies team were so taken by the speech that they donated their 2nd place team cheque to Debra Ireland.... Have to say that I was very proud of the club, lots of very hard work put in but a fantastic crowd in the race and afterwards... What a round of applause the amazing Catherina McKiernan got!

Advertisement