Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic management for this Sunday

Options
  • 24-04-2014 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭

This Sunday, at Ballybrit Racecourse, there will be a
    "Mass of Thanksgiving at Ballybrit Race Course to mark Canonisation of Pope John Paul II "

ref: http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/68919/canonisation-thanksgiving-mass-at-ballybrit-on-sunday and http://www.galwaydiocese.ie/node/667

Parishes on the east of Galway city, at least, were invited to cancel their regular masses and go to the racecoruse instead - though perhaps not all of them have taken up the invitation.

But it is a big deal for the Polish community. And for some Irish people too.

So you'd expect that a few (thousand!) people to attend.

Question: has anyone seen a hnt of a traffic management plan anywhere?

I remember a certain set of relics snarling up the city a few months ago, and the council / guards saying "we weren't told" (and by implication "we can't read the newspaper"). Wondering if we're in for a similar event on Sunday .....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I suppose this thread will serve a notice for the forum readers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Question: has anyone seen a hnt of a traffic management plan anywhere?

Given the weather forecast for sunday, won't need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Most of those religious people are off to Rome for the weekend anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

This canonisation is a big sham. I doubt it will be a big crowd or any traffic issues. This famous line "Young people of Ireland I love you". If this were true, he would have done more to address the child abuse instead of letting his organisation cover it up for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Methinks you underestimate the size and enthusiasm of the Polish community.

I'm guessing the answer to my question is "no". In which case, I'd recommend avoiding the Ballybrit area from 11-3 on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Will traffic really be any worse than a normal week day? How many people converge on East Galway City every morning for work and then all leave again en masse in the evening? I don't really know but the number must be well above 10,000...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

KevR wrote: »
    Will traffic really be any worse than a normal week day? How many people converge on East Galway City every morning for work and then all leave again en masse in the evening? I don't really know but the number must be well above 10,000...

It'll be no worse than the Sunday of race week, the one day the Gardaí aren't needed to turn off the traffic lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Nothing will ever top the traffic for the relics last year. 2 hours from Renmore to Knocknacarra.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Nothing will ever top the traffic for the relics last year. 2 hours from Renmore to Knocknacarra.
    tempting fate there.. does the Quinn bridge need a resurfacing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I can see how this would annoy a "small devil"...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

And annoy it did.

Advertisement