Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacker Academy

• 24-04-2014 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭

Is anyone signed up to this, either as standard or pro?

Just wondering what benefits would be gained from signing up and could it be a fastrack on the road to becoming a pen tester or CEH?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Is anyone signed up to this, either as standard or pro?

Just wondering what benefits would be gained from signing up and could it be a fastrack on the road to becoming a pen tester or CEH?

I say this as a Pen tester and a CEH, be very careful with anything hacker in the title. Often it gets used by marketing departments to make the material/course/whatever sound sexier, sometimes with little substance to back it up.

Unless things have changed drastically in recent times, all you need to get the CEH is decent computer/networking knowledge + a CEH study guide + help from your friends on boards and other online resources. Don't pay more money, for a qualification you can get by paying a bit of money for anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭industrialhorse

syklops wrote: »
    I say this as a Pen tester and a CEH, be very careful with anything hacker in the title. Often it gets used by marketing departments to make the material/course/whatever sound sexier, sometimes with little substance to back it up.

Unless things have changed drastically in recent times, all you need to get the CEH is decent computer/networking knowledge + a CEH study guide + help from your friends on boards and other online resources. Don't pay more money, for a qualification you can get by paying a bit of money for anyway.

Very good point Syklops. I had heard of hacker academy a while ago but think I stumbled upon their site this morning through a LinkedIn article and as you say, it did look a little sexier (cringe) than other CEH/Pen Test sites I had come across. I'll stick to the CEH study guides I already have thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Looking at their site now.
    Members have instant access to HD quality, instructor led video tutorials crafted by info sec experts.

Explore Focus Paths that break down difficult subjects into easy-to-follow modules.

Watch tutorial videos at your own pace, on any device.

I have instant access to Security Tube and every Def Con talk going back years already without paying anything.
    Every lesson you complete at The Hacker Academy comes with a certificate of completion that can be used to verify continuing education credits, CEUs, or CPEs. You can easily track your progress and continue where you left off.

"You have earned the port scanning badge". So sort of Coder-Dojo-esque. That would sound awesome if I was about 10. And there's a nice picture of Kali.

Forgive my cynicism, but if you want to be a hacker or a Pen Tester, all you really need to do is read the millions of pages of material already at your disposal for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi,

I'll sign and follow the material on the course just because is giving me a logical path to learn,is pushing me to do it with deadlines and "how-to".

Also,while very true,free online resources are always available (underground or normal) that will become very "boring" when you'll try to apply some logic to get your learning style...where do you start,where,what,when why !
    Sometime,you'll need to know how-to and you don't know why ... so you'll start browsing online for free resources ,get a million responses and ...get lost and confused.

But,that's just me...i like been logic and pressured when i have to study,otherwise,i tend to get off the main study plan...

Happy study time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

The only way to get good is to be really, really interested in it all and to learn and do obsessively for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Correct, but you need to apply a structure otherwise you will lose focus.
    Then is the big Q is the learning,experience/hands-on or knowledge that comes first !?
    I'll say a combination of all and more ...and as is presented today,from a sysadmin and/or an end user perspective, security is a big pro-active game to catch-up with. :)

Advertisement