Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour make class allegations?

Options
  • 24-04-2014 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi looking for a bit of guidance!
    I have been renting a house for 16 months. When we moved in the first month was fine no trouble with neighbour at all! She then went on holiday for a week or so and when she can back she started unmercifully banging! It occurred any where from 9pm to 6am waking myself husband and our baby!
    It wasn't tools or anything but her, herself leaving and coming from work and slamming every door and press!
    We let it go for some time but and thought out baby might just sleep threw it (he's quite a heavy sleeper) but no.
    So I attempted several times to talk to the neighbour but she would never answer the door. She would stare out the blinds as I waited but never answered!

We spoke to out landlord (not the owner) and it was advised if she did not answer to contact the Garda and not to leave a note to her.

One perticular night she was very loud so I went to knock on her door to speak I her. She didn't answer but I could see her looking out her window. As advised we contacted gardai. They advised us to be persistent at the door.

I knocked in her window and she did answer. I very politely asked her would it be possible to keep the noise down at night time as it is waking our child. At this point she started shouting saying I attacked her window. The conversation was very long winded but eventually she agreed to keep the noise down. And she sort of did.

Anyway in January of this year our landlord called to the house. He informed us she had rang the house owner and complained during December we were banging walls and throwing rubbish and ciggerette butts in her garden. I told the landlord we were not and about how we spoke and thought everything was fine. The landlord didn't seam to believe her anyway. I went to her door and asked was everything ok she proceeded to tell me to F off and pick up my F***ing rubbish from her garden. Then slammed the door.

Nothing more was said or done, untill Easter Sunday. She was gone on a weeks holidays I presume, and we had been gone for the day, when we returned my husband noticed smashed eggs that had been thrown at her door! We thought it was kids.

Monday evening she returned and then on Tuesday a squad car pulled up at about 9pm. Went to her house for only about 2mins, and left.

Then yesterday we got a phone call from landlord that she again rang house owner to say we had done it. Again landlord didn't seam to believe her just said he had to ring up I told him I wouldn't waste the eggs, to which he laughed and just said it's alright.

We rang The guards to see they said nothing's wrote down about it but that's not to say it wasn't reported. They were very good and when I explained the situation they said we get this all the time pass no heed to her.

I know that she is lying and has no proof either and needs proof to actually do anything about this but I'm concerned about her ringing house owner as apposed landlord as we are planning to renew lease again.

Also a member of landlords staff mentioned it could be a case of deffomation and or harassment!

Obviously I am not to going to do anything as of now but, if she continues to make false allegations what if anything can be done?

She still makes noise and wakes us but I am not sure if she is the owner or a tenant or the house? Can this be found out?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would not worry about the lease as at this point you are entitled to a part 4 tenancy which guarantees you security of tenure except in certain conditions. One of these conditions is anti social behaviour. There is a high burden of proof wrt anti social behaviour so unless you are literally caught in the act then you have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭DollyB

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I would not worry about the lease as at this point you are entitled to a part 4 tenancy which guarantees you security of tenure except in certain conditions. One of these conditions is anti social behaviour. There is a high burden of proof wrt anti social behaviour so unless you are literally caught in the act then you have nothing to worry about.

Thank you for reply! Feel very reassured now, we did not give a letter to landlord to say we were intending to stay. Does this have to be done before lease is renewed or can it be done any time?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

No, unless it is a fixed term lease but generally once you are in a property for >6months you have the option to stay there for 4 years.
    Under the legislation you are supposed to inform the landlord of your intention to part 4 rights but there is no consequences if you don't and your rights are virtually automatic.

Have a read up on your rights and obligations as a tenant. There is plenty of information available on the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

You are renting. Would you not move? She sounds "unstable" putting it nicely and generally people like her don't care what the law says. I would look for a new place to live. I can't imagine this person is going to change the way she behaves because a letter told her to. Your landlord sounds like he isn't bothered getting involved and it sounds like a civil issue so neither will the garda's. Defamation is hard to prove in Irish law. And that would involve a solicitor costing money.

Moving is the easiet way to resolve it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

hfallada wrote: »
    You are renting. Would you not move? She sounds "unstable" putting it nicely and generally people like her don't care what the law says. I would look for a new place to live. I can't imagine this person is going to change the way she behaves because a letter told her to. Your landlord sounds like he isn't bothered getting involved and it sounds like a civil issue so neither will the garda's. Defamation is hard to prove in Irish law. And that would involve a solicitor costing money.

I have to agree. I am guessing your neighbor's "holiday" involved a hospital.

• Advertisement

hfallada wrote: »

Thanks for reply she is that and a whole lot more!
    We are on the rent supplement scheme and this house is in a fantastic neighbourhood! All our other neighbours are lovely!!
    I have thought of moving and looked around but no other houses in "good areas" at this price! (Wondering if troubesome neighbour has something to do with that lol)
    I get what you mean about the the deffomation, I would just be hoping the threat if it might settle her down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Do the other neighbours have anything to say about her?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

No Pants wrote: »
    She was gone on a weeks holidays I presume, and we had been gone for the day, when we returned my husband noticed smashed eggs that had been thrown at her door!

I have a feeling this answers your question ;)

Ken

She's a bit of a loner to be honest. When we moved in first one or two people I knew from the estate did mention the family that side of you are lovely but she's a bit odd/bitchy! I didn't take much notice but I can now see why!

The house owners father who was friends/knew my late father mentioned that the person two doors down was lovely and the family next door was too skk he said about her was she works in a factory! I think they might have had some trouble with her before as 4 families lived in the house within 20 month period (I found out after we moved in) which may be normal to some but it's rare for anyone to move out of this estate!

Landlord doesn't seem to be bothered I just don't like the way she rings the house owner and Garda on false claims!

I don't know if she's renting or not so can't contact a landlord to advise them on what she's playing at.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'll take a guess that the guards know full well what she's like, and that you shouldn't get at all stressed that they're involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

If this escalates, a quick solicitors letter through her door should hopefully nip things in the bud.

Also, maybe you could get the guards to log your attendance at the garda station, just incase things progress. I would also keep a diary of everything that is happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Op get a small notebook and write down every time she makes noise at night which is excessive and the time and date, make notes on any disturbances involving her. You might never need the notes but if you were worri d about some nutjob being believed the notes will put your mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't think the neighbour is doing these things out of spite, but out of insecurity. As to whether there is a mental health issue or not, I don't know, but it is a possibility.

If you are talking to your local GP, who just might also be her GP, you might describe your experiences. The GP can't share any information on other people, but might be able to give you advice in dealing with the situation.

I did have some recordings of the noise but after we talke and she kept the noise down I deleted them (stupid I know).
    I have started writing down instances as if this week again.
    Just hoping she grows up a bit and realises she is waistig not only her own but everyone else's time!!
    As long as I know we can't just get kicked out for making these claims with no proof I'm happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

DollyB wrote: »
    I did have some recordings of the noise but after we talke and she kept the noise down I deleted them (stupid I know).
    I have started writing down instances as if this week again.
    Just hoping she grows up a bit and realises she is waistig not only her own but everyone else's time!!
    As long as I know we can't just get kicked out for making these claims with no proof I'm happy :)
    Do not engage with her in any way now, do not talk to her or call to her door, if she says hello just walk on and say nothing as it sounds like she is quite unhinged as has been said before and even saying hello could be enough to send her off on a tirade of abuse.

Thank you all for replys. Unfortunately she has now wrote a letter to our agent! It is extreamly long winded but the ins and out are she is saying we throw rubbish eggs we are loud and make her feel harassed threatened! Some speak of anti social behaviours too! Also saying we make noise coming in late from work! I have been on a disability for the last 4 years due to bipolar disorder and kidney issues! Unfortunately my husband suffered an illness in 2012 which has left him out for work and also as of last month has been approved a disability allowance too! Hoping he will get back to work soon but there are lost of operations in the pipeline! But anyway we do not work so sont know how a&e thought she would slip that in there!

To be quite frank I feel harassed by her she claims we peer out our window as she drives to work also! Okay if I'm showing my son card drive by or cleaning my windows and she happens to be leaving her house I can't exactly help that! Anyway I thought it was my right to look out my window?

The agent is trying to arrange to speak us her and him tomorrow!

Any advice would be welcome. I know she has no proof to these allegations! But I am wondering can she get away with claiming our behaviour anti social without proof? Should we be reporting her actions to our landlord?

I know for instance she was outside one day cleaning something when my sisters partner came to out house as he waited for us I answer the door she stood up and just stared him into the face he said hello and she just kept looking! If her claims that we look through our window are anti social is this also not anti social she does it to my mother sister an mother in law too!

Thanks

Who are you dealing with, an agent or a landlord. Deal with one if possible.

Who are you dealing with, an agent or a landlord. Deal with one if possible.

Agent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Look through your window all you want, she has no power there. Ignore her, write everything down, keep records.

If she persists with the complaining, look in to taking action against her for harassment.

Make sure the gardai are writing stuff down that you report. Noise complaints are reported to someone else? I forget who, county council or environment dept. ??? :)

My agent was in contact with her yesterday evening. She told him there is no way she would be meeting with us!
    We asked agent what dies that mean for the situation, he said he will contact the landlord to see what will be done now.
    What can be done I'm not to sure though.
    Quite frustrating waiting to see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

My agent was in contact with her yesterday evening. She told him there is no way she would be meeting with us!
    We asked agent what dies that mean for the situation, he said he will contact the landlord to see what will be done now.
    it might be frustrating but a least other people will get to see how unreasonable she is being
    Good luck!

Boombastic wrote: »
    it might be frustrating but a least other people will get to see how unreasonable she is being
    Good luck!

Every dark cloud has a silver lining I guess! Thank for reply

At least you made to made the attempt at mediation. That will stand to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

OP I had similar with my last neighbour. She was very intense, banging on my door, roaring at me at one stage. She reported me three times to the letting agent, to the landlord and to the county council.

She hadn't a leg to stand on but it got to the point where there were things being left outside my house like dead animals and rubbish. I simply went to the garda station, explained what was happening and that while I had no proof she was doing anything, I felt worried that the situation might escalate out of control. I also wrote to the landlord, the county council and the letting agent and explained my side of things and the basis behind her getting the hump in the first place.

The gardai took my name, address and dob (obviously to do a bit of background first) and then offered to call up to her and simply ask had she seen anything suspicious because of the things that were happening at my house.

The guard said that while I didn't know it was her, if it was, then her simply knowing the gardai were involved might be enough to stop her. And it worked. I mean, she gave me daggers every time I went in and out of my house but she stopped the complaints and amazingly enough, there were no more strange presents left on my door.

Like the others said, document everything. You're being as open and communicative as you can be. It's horrible though OP. It really is. Awful feeling uncomfortable in your own home or waiting for the next phone call or complaint to arrive.

I've moved out since (not because of her) and god forgive me but I hope the biggest scumbags in the world move in next door to her!

ash23 wrote: »
    OP I had similar with my last neighbour. She was very intense, banging on my door, roaring at me at one stage. She reported me three times to the letting agent, to the landlord and to the county council.

She hadn't a leg to stand on but it got to the point where there were things being left outside my house like dead animals and rubbish. I simply went to the garda station, explained what was happening and that while I had no proof she was doing anything, I felt worried that the situation might escalate out of control. I also wrote to the landlord, the county council and the letting agent and explained my side of things and the basis behind her getting the hump in the first place.

The gardai took my name, address and dob (obviously to do a bit of background first) and then offered to call up to her and simply ask had she seen anything suspicious because of the things that were happening at my house.

The guard said that while I didn't know it was her, if it was, then her simply knowing the gardai were involved might be enough to stop her. And it worked. I mean, she gave me daggers every time I went in and out of my house but she stopped the complaints and amazingly enough, there were no more strange presents left on my door.

Like the others said, document everything. You're being as open and communicative as you can be. It's horrible though OP. It really is. Awful feeling uncomfortable in your own home or waiting for the next phone call or complaint to arrive.

I've moved out since (not because of her) and god forgive me but I hope the biggest scumbags in the world move in next door to her!

Thanks for the reply. Sorry you had to go threw this. It's actually horrible! Even though you seam to have had it a good bit worse!!

It's exactly what you said i feel uncomfortable like I'm walking on egg shells.

We rang up agent today to see if she has made more contact or if our landlord has anything to say on the matter, but they didn't.

Trying to get a copy of the letter she sent our agent as I did read it but want a copy to just in-case she tries twisting her words. He has said he has to ask her permission! I would have thought that as she had made herself known as the person complaining about us. That after she sent letter to our agent it would be up to him who he gave copies to.

She has gotten worse again with banging/noise again. I am thinking she has some idea that the balls in her court now, so she can do as she pleases.

I am just going to keep keeping records of notable events. (feel like an ould bag lol)

She just seams to want us out, but she'll have another thing coming if she thinks she'll be the reason.

Might take your advice and make a call to GSA if she keeps it up. Might stop the muck!

Advertisement