Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets Make a new Adverts.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

So who thinks they would be interested in contributing ??

Here's what im thinking. Use a free web host (000webhost they do the job for a short period of time) for the first few months, until ad revenue were to get up to a point where it would cover costs. A domain name could be bought for no more than €10(would also be covered in ad revenue).

The site could be built using PHP, MYSQLI, Javascript, possibly ajax.
    There would be a developers only part for the site. All ads would be listed free and any money we make, which would be through ads would be used to upgrade the site at a later time.

Any other ideas ?

I honestly don't think there is any point, it would be pretty easy to create an ad site, the problem would be getting people to use it and with all the other alternatives I don't think you could get the numbers. The average person is still going to use adverts and I don't think we will see if the new success fee, will have an effect, for a couple of months. You never know, they may implement a new approach after all the drama!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

DrMorphine wrote: »
    I honestly don't think there is any point, it would be pretty easy to create an ad site, the problem would be getting people to use it and with all the other alternatives I don't think you could get the numbers. The average person is still going to use adverts and I don't think we will see if the new success fee, will have an effect, for a couple of months. You never know, they may implement a new approach after all the drama!

Even just forget about the fact adverts is ripping people off for a moment. Why not just work on something community based and show it can be done, hell it might not be as good as adverts but it'll show them that we'll make a stand for what we want !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Why are people so annoyed about the pm system, is it because you can't make sneaky offers anymore or offer more money off thread?

Ideas like these always start off with great enthusiasm until people start to realize the huge amount of work involved, good luck trying though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I think we could be really quick putting the site together with PostGres and a visual basic GUI.

Visual Basic ?

Thanks but no thanks, and no COBOL developers need apply either.

nuxxx wrote: »
    Why are people so annoyed about the pm system, is it because you can't make sneaky offers anymore or offer more money off thread?

Ideas like these always start off with great enthusiasm until people start to realize the huge amount of work involved, good luck trying though.

Its not just the pm system, its the fact that adverts was once a community site and they never bother to listen to the community that started it and also the new pricing. Its just Idiotic !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 goinginside

Visual Basic ?

Thanks but no thanks, and no COBOL developers need apply either.

So much for the community spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lajtel

I am currently paying for a webhost with 60GB disk space and unlimited data transfer.
    I am not using this in a productive way and would be ready to host anything needed on it.

It's not much, but it's something.

If someone is planning on going ahead with this and wants community involvement I would recommend GitHub and keep it completely open.

lajtel wrote: »
    I am currently paying for a webhost with 60GB disk space and unlimited data transfer.
    I am not using this in a productive way and would be ready to host anything needed on it.

Well that woulld be web hosting sorted thanks to lajtel

DrMorphine wrote: »
    If someone is planning on going ahead with this and wants community involvement I would recommend GitHub and keep it completely open.

Is that a good idea, ive never really used Github much before ?

• Advertisement

Is that a good idea, ive never really used Github much before ?

Yes definitely if you want it to be open to everyone to contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DublinerPL

lajtel wrote: »

Same here Hostgator Business Plan paid up to end of the year.

DublinerPL wrote: »
    Same here Hostgator Business Plan paid up to end of the year.

Things have just gotten a lot more tempting :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭travis1976

I'd give a hand to moderate/check ads/whatever, as long as it's not a 9-5 thing. I've got one of those.

travis1976 wrote: »
    I'd give a hand to moderate/check ads/whatever, as long as it's not a 9-5 thing. I've got one of those.

Wouldnt say so, whenever someones available would be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭travis1976

sign me up..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

What is the name of the new site?

Great so we have about 10 people !!

mloc123 wrote: »

As of now i don't have one. Im sure there is more creative people out there than me !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

mloc123 wrote: »

wepromisefreeadsforever.ie

• Advertisement

Hahahaha i was thinking wepromisefreeadsforeverandwillneverchargeoraddanysuccessratesforourusersunlikeadverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I work in marketing/sales so if you'd like someone to work on branding / social media let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Noadverts.ie

I'm willing to moderate and help with some development although I'm still in my infancy in regards to web development. =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I'll help

So how can we get this thing started XD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Throwing my name in the hat for anyone that needs some coding, preferably on the Android or java side of things. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Mullins07 wrote: »
    LOL.

Let's write Adverts using vBulletin.

Oh wait...

https://web.archive.org/web/20060428050911/http://www.adverts.ie/

So in 7 years we can expect your site to be as good as Adverts.ie is today?

Isn't the point that they want it as it was 7yrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Throwing my name in the hat for anyone that needs some coding, preferably on the Android or java side of things. :p

Actually did a module in UCD last year for Android so won't mind working on a app too.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

I'll help! (nothing against Adverts or anything; just something to do!)

PHP, SQL, jQuery, etc etc

• Advertisement

Thanks to everyone for offereing!! Could people PM me what they can work on e.g php, java etc
    Thanks !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement