Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets Make a new Adverts.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

sdeire wrote: »
    For all my misgivings over the implementation of these fees (make 'em free for us subscribers, winky nudge) I literally laughed out loud at that one. In work. :pac:

As a slight aside, I'm surprised Distilled are allowing this rather flagrant discussion about how to attempt to put them out of business (or at least one of their businesses) to continue on their own forum?
    madverts.ie
    madbidz.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

OSI wrote: »
    An individual can only register a domain of their own name.

Not the case, you can get one under discretionary name pretty easily.

Hi ****.
    Just a heads up - our pricing structure was recently changed in some categories. Ads are still free to list. Find out more here or just follow the steps of the ad entry process...

do i have 2 pay
    You

Hey musician71,
    You do not have to pay for your current adverts as they were placed before the change on the 22nd of April 2014. If you place an advert to sell another item with an asking price below €30 there is no charge. There is a small success fee charged on items with and asking price above €30 when the item is marked as sold. You can see the breakdown of prices here - http://www.adverts.ie/successfees
    Avatar for Shoshannah Shoshannah
    imo there should only be a fee on items above €100. If i sell my shoes for €30 or my car for €3,000 your charging me both times??

Nonsense if you ask me!
    You

Hey musician71,
    If you sell your shoes and get €30 in your pocket, the success fee is only €1. If you sell an item over €100, the success fee is €3.
    Best of luck with your ads

one more question: if i sold my shoes for 29.99, but the buyer said here keep the one cent. Technically i have sold them for €29.99 but i got €30. What happens then ?
    You

Hey musician71,
    The success fee is based on your asking price rather then sale price. So if you listed your shoes for sale for €29 but sold them for €30, no success fee would then be incurred.

Think i understand now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Bit of a contradition!

Boards & Adverts are just VBulletin sites as "Call Me Jimmy" said, probably tweaking the look and feel to set it apart from the stock vbulletin install and injecting adverts into it.

Looks like VBulletin has a VBulletin Cloud hosting option.

So for between $15 - $60 per month they would host/run the forum for you.
    You'd just need a few chumps to moderate it for free :p

Gladly do it ;)

Gladly do it ;)

Would it just "Happen to break" then ;)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I have a raspberry Pi if that's any use?

Also im not a huge fan of the new facebook layout, while your making the new adverts site could you tack on a social network feature, I can imagine it will only take another week or two

conzy wrote: »
    I have a raspberry Pi if that's any use?

Also im not a huge fan of the new facebook layout, while your making the new adverts site could you tack on a social network feature, I can imagine it will only take another week or two

Raspberry PI's are cool :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

So much for the community spirit.

Visual Basic is actually allowed by the Amish community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

The reality is that although we may have a few junior volunteers (and don't get me wrong that's an excellent start in and of itself!) and students who would be willing to help, without a couple of seasoned and experienced developers involved to shepherd our efforts then this project will not happen basically.

It's all well and good for a bunch of us to say 'yeah that'd be great! I can do a bit of x' we need people who can manage a project efficiently, and in a sustained way over a significant period of time in order for us not to all be running around like headless chickens without any direction.

I would personally leave out the specifics of implementation and registration issues for now and concentrate on producing a road map for progress for the immediate future.

Simple stuff like creating a git repo which we can all contribute to and setting up local development environments to test on initially.

If anyone is uncomfortable with the idea of using version control, generating ssh keys for ourselves etc. as well as setting up a local apache server with virtual hosts and so on for testing, then this will not be a good start.

I wouldn't foresee a project like this taking a short amount of time by any means, but I do think it would be possible provided we get a decent, for lack of a better word, command structure in place within which decisions can be made and tasks assigned for interested developers to get to grips with.

I mean how many of us (who have volunteered!) can honestly say we are really up to date and effective in our skills?

Responsive design? Angular or similar framework? Database design?

Im not trying to be negative here, merely realistic, I dont want to put anyone off, but it bears repeating that this would not by any means be an easy 'ah lash something together in a day' kind of affair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Oh dear.

Despite my handle, you actually know me, and you wouldn't be so derisive if you were talking to my former self. Adverts.ie is /not/ trivial, but this is /not/ Adverts.ie. It's a simple classifieds site that would take a year or more to become non-trivial. So do us a favour and lump in with some constructive commentary or help, or just don't comment. Two word smart-arsed answers serve /no/ purpose.

Folks, custom code is complete overkill at this point in time. A classifieds site can be rolled out in a day or two using free or affordable software. Pick one and decide who's hosting it, and focus on building a userbase without spamming, which is the only really hard part at this point in time.

I'm an IE registrar, pick a domain and I'll register it FOC.

• Advertisement

rovoagho wrote: »
    I'm an IE registrar, pick a domain and I'll register it FOC.

Does this basically mean that it'll be a hell of a lot easier to register a .ie domain ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Question: what happens if this project is wildly successful? Who thinks they own it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Celeron Media

I would be almost certain adverts would file for an injunction and have the clone site taken down just a quick before taking legal action against the parties involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I agree with you there would likely be legal action, but I'd suspect chances are it'd be between participants of this thread, and not involving Adverts.ie whatsoever.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

rovoagho wrote: »
    Despite my handle, you actually know me, and you wouldn't be so derisive if you were talking to my former self.
    You have me at a disadvantage.
    Adverts.ie is /not/ trivial, but this is /not/ Adverts.ie. It's a simple classifieds site that would take a year or more to become non-trivial. So do us a favour and lump in with some constructive commentary or help, or just don't comment. Two word smart-arsed answers serve /no/ purpose.
    The technical challenges of rolling out a successful website are never trivial. I've built an in-house business application from scratch that is in constant use by up to ten users; I'm tangentially involved with a business that provides web services to multinational corporations and UK government departments and is in use by thousands of simultaneous users worldwide. There's nothing trivial about the technical challenges of either of them.

You can build a trivial site without any major technical challenges, but it will remain a trivial site. If the ambition is to build something non-trivial, then the time to think about the non-trivial technical challenges is at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Trojan wrote: »
    Question: what happens if this project is wildly successful? Who thinks they own it?

I think you are putting the cart before the invention of the wheel there.
    I would be almost certain adverts would file for an injunction and have the clone site taken down just a quick before taking legal action against the parties involved.

There a zillion market/for sale sites. What makes one a clone?

There a zillion market/for sale sites. What makes one a clone?
    This thread and title is enough evidence :P

beauf wrote: »
    I think you are putting the cart before the invention of the wheel there.
    That's more of what I'm talking about. Why bother anticipating problems when you can just deal with them when they blindside you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I think your sig quote is coming into play here oscar :P happened to notice it there.

Yes technically a listing site can happen in a relatively short time but the key ingredient in most projects is usually non-technical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

There's nothing trivial about the technical challenges of either of them.

You can build a trivial site without any major technical challenges, but it will remain a trivial site. If the ambition is to build something non-trivial, then the time to think about the non-trivial technical challenges is at the start.

Spot on!

And further to that, i would say that the idea that you can mash up something out of vbulletins or other x template and expect to attract users is pretty crazy.

I mean I wouldn't use a site that looked like early adverts or equivalent now, even if I had helped develop it myself!

The only way you're going to realistically have a viable platform is if we put in the effort to build something more polished and therefore competitive.

At the end of the day they are all just marketplaces with some bells on, but the devil lies in the detail, and gui / ux design will be an important factor in order for the site to be able to be taken seriously.

• Advertisement

That's more of what I'm talking about. Why bother anticipating problems when you can just deal with them when they blindside you?

Thats not anticipating problems. That being Walter Mitty, and having a debate about what corporate jet to buy.

...I mean I wouldn't use a site that looked like early adverts or equivalent now, ...

Thats like building the empire state building from the top down.

Just a thought: If this new site is to be created and is successful like Adverts, but like any growing successful website or business there comes a point when additional resources are needed to maintain and keep up with demands, so a revenue stream would be needed at some point. Where would the funding come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Great news and I wish you every success got barred for a week myself by some jumped up moderator on the main adverts thread for suggesting a new classified site.

This thread and title is enough evidence :P

How so? Isn't the idea to build a site that isn't like adverts is now?

How so? Isn't the idea to build a site that isn't like adverts is now?

" Lets Make a new Adverts.ie". The title mostly gave it away.

Thats not anticipating problems. That being Walter Mitty, and having a debate about what corporate jet to buy.

Are you saying you don't think this project could possibly be successful enough to make any money?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

this ain't about money it's about our mutual passion for ads... that are free!

this ain't about money it's about our mutual passion for ads... that are free!
    A wise person told me years ago that if you're setting up a business for any reason other than to make a profit, your business is doomed to failure.

You may not be thinking of this as a business, but it will have expenses. If it doesn't have revenues, it will be gone within a year.

As soon as money starts changing hands, mutual passions quickly take a back seat. And if you're not thinking about these issues now, all you're doing is deferring them until they become serious problems.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

You have me at a disadvantage.

I do, and I apologise but that will remain the case, at least for the moment.
    The technical challenges of rolling out a successful website are never trivial. I've built an in-house business application from scratch that is in constant use by up to ten users; I'm tangentially involved with a business that provides web services to multinational corporations and UK government departments and is in use by thousands of simultaneous users worldwide. There's nothing trivial about the technical challenges of either of them.

I absolutely disagree. I've rolled out simple sites with commercial open source webapp themes and plugins that rake in tens of thousands of euros per month, and I manage other sites that started on a shoestring, and turn over millions per year. They looked awful when they started up and behaved badly, but there was a demand for them and so they succeeded. Now they're non-trivial, and of course that has to be planned for and catered to. But overthinking before launch is as responsible for failures as underthinking. I've seen a large number of valid projects fail because of ridiculous long-winded arguments about domain names, for example.

Release early, release often, as the fella said.

(And, to complete the quote from ESR - a dick, but an often correct dick - "...and listen to your customers". I know a firm that could benefit from that mantra...)

And I'm sorry, but I'm not going to acknowledge that classifieds sites are difficult under any circumstances, it's just a nonsense. The work is in the userbase, not the code. A monkey could write the code. Monkeys have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement