Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets Make a new Adverts.ie

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Celeron Media

this ain't about money it's about our mutual passion for ads... that are free!

I don't mean to put a spanner in the works here, but you haven't used or logged into your adverts in 3 years.

Every successful app/website/business module needs to start making money at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

" Lets Make a new Adverts.ie". The title mostly gave it away.

Except in this case it didn't. What adverts is, and what was proposed in the first topic are entirely different.

beauf wrote: »
    Except in this case it didn't. What adverts is, and what was proposed in the first topic are entirely different.

Still sounds like adverts :D
    so why not make a stand and build an actual community based site for selling unneeded items.

I don't mean to put a spanner in the works here, but you haven't used or logged into your adverts in 3 years....

There are other possibilities....

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Are you saying you don't think this project could possibly be successful enough to make any money?

I'm saying you're counting the eggs before they've hatched. before you even bought the chickens. TBH I preferred the cart analogy, its the same thing though.

• Advertisement

There are other possibilities....

"Build it and they will come"

Still sounds like adverts :D

Thats a bit like confusing Dido with Slayer.

"Build it and they will come"

Kinda missing the point. People maybe on adverts perhaps commercially with a different profile than they have on boards.

A wise person told me years ago that if you're setting up a business for any reason other than to make a profit, your business is doomed to failure.

You may not be thinking of this as a business, but it will have expenses. If it doesn't have revenues, it will be gone within a year.

As soon as money starts changing hands, mutual passions quickly take a back seat. And if you're not thinking about these issues now, all you're doing is deferring them until they become serious problems.

Thats a fair point. But its waaayyyy too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

A wise person told me years ago that if you're setting up a business for any reason other than to make a profit, your business is doomed to failure.........

I think you're missing the point. People are talking about setting up a mutually beneficial community.... The internet used to be full of them, there used to be some around here. Communities / social organisations do not exist for profit, they exist for the benefit of the individuals/community involved.
    It's possible that Boards and it's sister sibling companies, that it presents not to be related to, also lost that point along the way, and ended up hooring themselves out to advertisers and "talk to" companies, in order to generate business revenue, ultimately at the expense of the visitors generating the revenue in the first place.

• Advertisement

I'm a member of a few websites which have forums for trading items within their community.

None of them are big, but they are happy to be a small community.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I used to work for Boards.ie and poked a bit at the old Adverts.ie so my initial reaction (like several former employees who've already posted) is "these people have no idea what they're getting into".

Having said that, I don't see any harm in ye trying. The absolute worst that can happen is that you have fun, fail and lose some money. So long as nobody is delusional about the money side of things and doesn't spend more than they can afford to lose then there'll be no real tears.

A few tips:
    • Don't expect to cover your costs with display advertising.
    • For the love of $deity be careful with user credentials.
    • Classified ads sites are basically photo sharing sites. Where you store your images matters. Make good choices up front. Re-organising several GB of photos without downtime can be tricky.
    • Search is a lot harder than it looks.
    • Build some good mod tools or the trolls will break the spirit of your mods.
    • Community sites can grow very fast. If you're successful your resource costs will explode so you need to have a plan for how you'll pay for it. Again, don't count on display advertising.
    • Be sure to set aside some time for helping the Gardai catch people fencing stolen goods.

Good luck!

I think you're missing the point. People are talking about setting up a mutually beneficial community.... The internet used to be full of them, there used to be some around here. Communities / social organisations do not exist for profit, they exist for the benefit of the individuals/community involved.
    It's possible that Boards and it's sister sibling companies, that it presents not to be related to, also lost that point along the way, and ended up hooring themselves out to advertisers and "talk to" companies, in order to generate business revenue, ultimately at the expense of the visitors generating the revenue in the first place.

When you grow big, you need more hardware. When you have more hardware, you need more sysadmins. When you have more sysadmins you need money to pay them with.

Boards worked for years on a combination of ads, charity and the piggy banks of the founders. Those revenue sources don't scale up as fast as a user base does. Eventually you have to focus on revenue or cap the size of the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i'm going to bump this thread in about a month when nothing has been done and everybody's forgotten about it.

beauf wrote: »
    Thats a bit like confusing Dido with Slayer.

It's more like Metallica and MagaDeth.

IRLConor wrote: »
    When you grow big, you need more hardware. When you have more hardware, you need more sysadmins. When you have more sysadmins you need money to pay them with.

Boards worked for years on a combination of ads, charity and the piggy banks of the founders. Those revenue sources don't scale up as fast as a user base does. Eventually you have to focus on revenue or cap the size of the community.
    fully agree, but your response has little or nothing to do with my point.

i'm going to bump this thread in about a month when nothing has been done and everybody's forgotten about it.
    .......the smug joys of being a hurler on the ditch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I wish you every success with this lads, a totally free community site would be a great thing :)

Tip #1 - Listen to what Conor said above.
    Tip #2 - Find a good solicitor who will work for free - failing that, budget around 50k/year to defend all kinds of muppets suing you (provided you stay small) and to advise you on how to deal with section 8 requests etc..
    Tip #3 - do NOT use photopost or vB to run it :D

You were talking about a "mutually beneficial community". That's not free and only gets more expensive as it grows. You can't separate the notion of a community and the cost of running it. Talk about turning a profit is moot, considering how hard it is to break even, never mind have a surplus to re-invest.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

If a new site is going to be set up, it needs to be done very quickly, while there is interest.

Building a bespoke site would take months.

Setting up a PHPBB / VBulletin forum would do, for the time being, and would take about 48 hours to set up.

After x months, it could be migrated over to a new platform.

As others have said the most important thing is building the userbase.

Perhaps everyone could answer how many items they have to sell and would be willing to list:

I'll start:

I have approx 50 items to sell and I'd be willing to list them at good prices to get the site up and running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

.......the smug joys of being a hurler on the ditch

prove me wrong then. good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It directly discusses your point. A mutually beneficial community is a nice idea, but it doesn't scale in the real world. As community size and popularity increases, the underlying infrastructural and support costs increase as a single block of expense, rather than as something the community can each individually contribute to at zero cost.
    Eventually that block of expense increases beyond the goodwill capabilities of any one person (or small group of people), and you need to find sustainable ways of covering those expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Lads, you do realise that this is the Development forum and not the WhingingBecauseSomePrivateCompanyIsPayingTheirBillsInAWayYouDontPersonallyLike forum, right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement