Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Derg

Options
  • 24-04-2014 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some local advise from over around this lovely part of Tipp. Was over there last Sunday for a drive. Went to Ballycuggaran which is a nice stop out the Killaloe side. Just because I always went there as a kid and decided it would be a nice place to take mine!

Its a grand spot but I know they dont encourage swimming there anymore. Is this the case in all areas of the lough or are there still some areas safe to swim? Or is it actually ok to swim anyway?

Or even if someone can suggest other nice areas on Lough Derg. Its that time of year again! Its only about 45mins from me but I dont really know the area at all.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Drop the Ball

Ballycuggaran is known locally as Two-Mile-Gate. As far as I am aware it is fine to swim there although the water would be far too cold right now. I swam there a few times there last year, Clare County Council usually have full time life guards on duty during the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Two mile gate would be fine to swim in. Wont find many but the triathlon clubs etc swimming in lake at the moment and they'll all be in wetsuits.
    Who don't recommend swimming there? Ive swam there a bit in last year or two and don't remember any signs etc recommending people not to swim
    There is loads of areas in lake where swimming is encouraged depending on where you are: dromineer, youghal quay, castlelough, mountshannon etc

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

There are normally signs up if you cant swim, usually due to pollution. Skehana is a lovely place for small children, sandy and shallow. Outside Nenagh, through Puckane and take road to Luska and turn right along the lake, just there. Swing set and green area, gets very busy in summer. For bigger people drive past this to old quay, great for jumping in.

Advertisement