Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airsoft law

• 24-04-2014 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

I just wanted to know people's opinions on the Irish airsoft law. Personally I think its far too strict and we should be given the freedom to play our game however we like. Its not like footballers can only kick the ball so hard because if they kick it any harder they might hurt someone. Everyone who plays airsoft wears eye protection and anyway they cannot possibly induce life threatening injuries.

It annoys me how many Irish people just take the law for what it is and settle on that. Nobody seems to be fighting for us or trying to make it easier for us. Just imagine the amount of hassle you wouldn't have to deal with if you wanted to import a gun or you wouldn't be getting a sub par performing gun just because the retailer had to drop a lighter spring in it.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

In fairness be happy that ya have airsoft and the limit that we have. Personally I wouldn't trust some players with a higher fps limit let alone our current one.
    Nobody seems to be fighting for us or trying to make it easier for us.

Not exactly true we have the IAA (Irish Airsoft Association) and they do the job the best they can as they are only volunteer's. So if you want someone to fight for you contact the IAA.

Today I think it is is the AGM for the IAA so wait and see what the new committee has planned for the year ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

I just wanted to know people's opinions on the Irish airsoft law. Personally I think its far too strict and we should be given the freedom to play our game however we like. Its not like footballers can only kick the ball so hard because if they kick it any harder they might hurt someone. Everyone who plays airsoft wears eye protection and anyway they cannot possibly induce life threatening injuries.

It annoys me how many Irish people just take the law for what it is and settle on that. Nobody seems to be fighting for us or trying to make it easier for us. Just imagine the amount of hassle you wouldn't have to deal with if you wanted to import a gun or you wouldn't be getting a sub par performing gun just because the retailer had to drop a lighter spring in it.

Opinions?

Oh not again…
    Every feckin' few months. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭cathalomurchu

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Oh not again…

This is an open forum. You didn't have to click it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Oh not again…

This is why I'm staying well clear too :rolleyes:

andy_g wrote: »
    In fairness be happy that ya have airsoft and the limit that we have. Personally I wouldn't trust some players with a higher fps limit let alone our current one.

Not exactly true we have the IAA (Irish Airsoft Association) and they do the job the best they can as they are only volunteer's. So if you want someone to fight for you contact the IAA.

Today I think it is is the AGM for the IAA so wait and see what the new committee has planned for the year ahead.
    In what way would they become more of a threat?
    Im content with what we have but its a bit annoying the way everything is more expensive here because retailers have to downgrade etc. even if we had a 2J limit so importing would be less hassle. Then let sites have their own power limit

I know about the IAA but I've never heard anything about what they do/have done. Maybe thats just down to bad public relations but on their website there's some stuff that hasn't been updated since 2010.

• Advertisement

S.E.A.L.s wrote: »
    This is why I'm staying well clear too :rolleyes:

...You've just commented.

Its clear that this is quite an unpopular opinion, for what reason? I don't know. It seems some people don't like having the ability to freely do what they want and submit to what is essentially flawed laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

In what way would they become more of a threat?

Please clarify what you mean here?
    even if we had a 2J limit so importing would be less hassle

Under irish law you would then have a unlawful firearm. So why do you find the need for a higher limit of say 2J?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Its clear that this is quite an unpopular opinion, for what reason? I don't know. It seems some people don't like having the ability to freely do what they want and submit to what is essentially flawed laws.

The law is not flawed.
    The law provides a clear line between replica imitiation firearms and toy guns and what is classed as a firearm.

People who post these threads up always have the same complaints;

"need more range"
    "Why can't sniper rifles/SAWs/tactical shít launchers be 2J?"
    "I can't import x,y or z cos it's over one joule"

An awful, awful lot of retailers abroad will down grade the AEG for you if you request it and pay for the service. It's not some white rhino of a thing that only happens every once in a million years when the sun lines up with the moon and mars and venus and the earth starts rotating 4 times as fast.

The law is the law, simple as. I really wish murder wasn't illegal sometimes, just so it suits me so I can kill people that really annoy me. I'll lobby for that law to be changed.

Edit: Sub par because it's firing at a joule? Upgrades man, upgrades. A stronger spring does not more FPS make, etc, etc, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

Ok. At first I didn't think this was about the whole FPS/Joule issue. But it is, again.

I too would be happy with 1.2J, 1.5J or 2? no that's too high. But right now it's 1, and that's what we've always known. I know plenty of people who game in other countries or spoke to other people through the years who don't need the extra power for range. I was talking to someone about 2 years ago ata site, can't remember where but he said he games abroad and never up rates his spring because he out ranges most other AEG's. Why? because he had to get the parts to match their range.
    In fact, personally I find the one J limit forces Irish airsofters to get every bit of range out of their rifles. We can't just slap in a 140M spring and go game, we have to try different methods and really find the right set of parts.

On a side note. I don't see how FPS has any effect on range, personally. Maybe someone could explain it a bit better but for me fps determines HOW FAST the BB gets to it's target and not how far it flies.

Anyways as a last point to this fps/range ordeal, I'll say two words; Tokyo Marui. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Ah yes, Tokyo Marui..... Where my TM P226 has out ranged an AK47 and hit it's bemused and not very pleased owner. Accuracy and range are the ways to go, not how many bbs you can shoot out. 1 joule is enough for me. I don't see the point of trying to up it as it would only bring unwelcome attention to our sport from gob****e politicians who are only too eager to focus on a "public safety" issue to take the focus away from how they're fcuking up this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Op what exactly do you want changed ,

Higher joules ?

Where we can play ? ,

Pyro ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

The reason why some people like the law is because it's black and white. Simple and rounded off to avoid loop holes or argument.

It means that our hobby is safe and any ranting politician can't make outrageous claims about what they can do because with our limit it doesn't apply, fact.

We are not a soft target, our laws, separated into it's own section in the firearms law for absolute clarity, are simple and clear. This is why people are in favour of them. We get a reasonable limit which is safe from scrutiny and still allows good performance of our airsoft replicas. You need a big step up to start noticing range increases in fps, steps that put you in territory where a politician can argue against the sport. And even then your standard aeg at that limit won't compete with a well-thought out 1J aeg, gbb, etc. with the right parts.

Airsoft is not a range sport, you want to be nearer than your max range to get a BB on target with higher certainty while also allowing quicking follow up targeting on any other players near the one you just hit. Better than taking your chances at more ranged shots.

Many manufacturers of airsoft specifically built their products to be 1J so that they can be sold in markets like Ireland. The airsoft industry does know and care about lower limit countries.

And I don't think that someone mentioned it yet, but germany has a 0.5J limit so there is lower. And then some other countries require that you register a license in order to play.

So in summary, these laws which you say restrict us, actually keep us fairly free compared to other countries.

Edit: We also don't have to paint our aegs neon pink or orange. Unless you're into that kinda thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Am I really that bothered, no. So am happy with our limits and laws, Take a look at Austrailia? they can't even enjoy our beloved sport and to them I say waaah :).

I do however thing bolt action rifles should be used like rifles (not all) are in the real world, long range weapons so an increase there would be nice, but like every airsoft gun, power does not mean instant range without the correct set up, barrels, BB's, rubbers etc.

Most skirmishes I have been to, and most will back me up will have firefights anywhere from below 30m-to 60m range which is pushing it with our aegs, so make use of what we got. Part of the joy (and heartache) in airsoft for me is fine tuning and tweaking my aegs until I have pushed it to its limit regarding range, rof etc without sacrificing reliability and durability.

Although I would like to see pyro being used, because I like the boooooom. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

And every few months someone has to point out that an increase in the 1j limit will require a change to the Firearms Acts. That is simply not going to happen in the forseeable future.

Spend a little time on the Shooting forum and see how much legal, regulatory & political trouble our real steel brethren have, and you'll see how the government have no desire whatsoever to even restate the laws, never mind loosen them in any way. Minister Shatter seems minded towards further restrictions, if anything.

Yes, an increase to 1.2j might make importing easier, as would an EU standard of 1j. Dream on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

You're new, aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭FizzyCola

A higher FPS would be nice but then if we did get it increased we'd only want it increased more and more. I think sniper rifles should have a higher FPS limit but then it only adds complications and further regulations.

Apart from being in an open field ive never found that I needed more range, apart from when Im using one of my cheaper guns and wishing I was using my m4 which has far better range. Also at night when torches can shine further than an airsoft gun can range.

I like the standard 1J limit across the board. No need to have a CQB gun and an outdoor gun and a gun for this site and that site and all that ****e you see in America. As long as its 328 or lower it doesnt matter what site your on or what range as long as you dont go absolutely crazy at 10 feet and aim straight for the face.

Pyro would be class but given the prices in england Id be letting other people do the throwing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

FizzyCola wrote: »
    A higher FPS would be nice but then if we did get it increased we'd only want it increased more and more. I think sniper rifles should have a higher FPS limit but then it only adds complications and further regulations.

The only reason bolt-action (note: NOT DMRs) have higher limits in the UK is down to a loophole in the law; simply because they are not self-loading like AEGs are (further note for DMRs: read AEG). But in any case, I've seen more than a few players both in Ireland AND the UK rocking at 1j limits and making a very good job of it. The point is you do not need a higher limit to do well with a sniper rifle in airsoft as most of what you need is down to field-craft & skill. And has also been repeated so many times on this forum (because it's very, very true) FPS != range.

Advertisement