Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler and bottles

Options
  • 24-04-2014 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Just curious when you stopped giving your baby/toddler their morning bottle? Our little guy is almost 14 months and has a 7oz bottle when he wakes at 7 in the morn. He goes to creche at 8 and has a 1/4 slice of toast and then his cereal/porridge. Just wondering when people stopped the morning bottle and just gave the porridge first thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

yellow hen wrote: »
    Just curious when you stopped giving your baby/toddler their morning bottle? Our little guy is almost 14 months and has a 7oz bottle when he wakes at 7 in the morn. He goes to creche at 8 and has a 1/4 slice of toast and then his cereal/porridge. Just wondering when people stopped the morning bottle and just gave the porridge first thing?

My daughter has just gone 2 and still has a morning bottle. Screamed blue murder the few days we tried to stop. Has been to dentist said her teeth are perfect. We brush twice a day.
    I say let him off but I'm probably gunna get shouted at for that.
    My daughter has never been one for food much before an hour after getting up. Must run in the family

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I stopped my daughter's morning bottle around 18 months as it was stopping her wanting her breakfast.
    My nearly 2.5 yr old nephew still has a morning bottle as he screamed blue murder when my sister decided to try to stop it.

I personally don't think it can do any harm as long as the child is eating as well.

My daughter is 2 yrs 4 mths and still has a small bottle of milk at night before teeth and storytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Our daughter was about 17 months when we got rid of it. She never missed it and even now isn't too bothered about her night time one so we'll drop that by summer.. She's just 21 months..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

At about 12 months as he ate a balanced diet . he gets 2 bottles a day since 1 for his nap and one going to bed .
    None of mine had a bottle after 15/16 months they naturally weaned themselves off them and I needed no encouragement to go along with it though #3 is the 1st to be given a bottle in his cot .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

At 20 months we cut out the bedtime one. I'll be cutting my younger child's one at 12 months. She kicked off a bit but after a couple of nights she didn't look for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

My son has just turned 1. He never took a morning bottle and he just wants his breakfast. He still has a 4oz bottle of milk around half 10, 3oz after lunch and then 7oz doing to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

Hi, my little one is 15 months. We give 3-4 oz of milk in a beaker in morning and then 5-7 oz in beaker of milk eat night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Thanks everyone. He wakes at 6 every morning so by 7 he's starving. I might continue the bottle for the moment and stretch his breakfast until 9ish. He's not yet 14 months so I'll give it maybe 2-3 more months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it. We swapped bottles for sippy cup around 19/20 months but it was only because he had a tummy bug for a few days and we didn't give him milk so was just having water from cup anyway. Didn't seem to miss the bottles at all.

He has 5-6 oz of milk out of his sippy cup as soon as gets up - he actually will freak out if doesn't get it as he expects it now - and still eats his breakfast 10 mins later.

Advertisement