Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice re. training pre surgery to minimise fitness loss

• 24-04-2014 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if I could get some advice. I'm scheduled for relatively minor surgery in July (non-running related) and have been told I can return to running 4 weeks post surgery assuming all goes well. My question relates to training prior to surgery to minimise fitness loss. I'm currently running 5 times p/w, approx 25-30 miles including a 7-8 mile LSR. My original plan was to work on my speed over the summer, but now that's scuppered :( so do I try to build up my mileage with longer runs pre-op to minimise fitness loss ? Or go ahead with trying to get my times down over the shorter distances ? I'm unsure how best to prepare for returning to running after the 4 week hiatus :rolleyes:
    Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

If you're into racing why not plan a series of races for June? you still have 5 or 6 weeks to train hard and work on speed from your base as it is now.

If your body can take it you should train hard , small taper and target a race or two. After 6 or 8 weeks of this you might be looking forward to a 4 week break and you should still be quite fit after a few weeks of training in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Thanks buck65. I do like racing :) . Have to admit the thoughts of a 4 week break and the resulting loss of fitness is a bit scary but at least I can push myself that bit harder before hand knowing there's a break on the way. Cheers for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Will you be able to swim/cycle during your 4 weeks out or is it complete rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Complete rest for 1-2 weeks, then I can walk as much as I want but no swimming, lifting or cycling. The running was supposed to be banned for 6 weeks but the consultant saw my :(, took pity on me and said I could start back slowly after 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

I would nt worry about it, enjoy the break and do plenty walking(boring I know)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

buck65 wrote: »
    If you're into racing why not plan a series of races for June? you still have 5 or 6 weeks to train hard and work on speed from your base as it is now.

If your body can take it you should train hard , small taper and target a race or two. After 6 or 8 weeks of this you might be looking forward to a 4 week break and you should still be quite fit after a few weeks of training in August.

Id agree with that.

One thing you'll need to plan is your return.

I had two months off after the birth of our second child. When I came back my plan was for a big slow buildup in mileage. That was a mistake. The reason was that I was away from all paces and intensities for a long time, tempo, intervals, reps etc
    By the time I was a few months into my base building I was away from those paces for a very long time...and had a huge job on my hands to build speed up again.

If youre realistically going to be away from faster paces for a couple of months. Then Id schedule a race to target for in say 10 weeks after returning to running. Have a mini season, go through all the phases and paces (start the faster stuff a little earlier than normal) and get back in touch with them. After 10 weeks youll be in fine fettle and ready to get stuck in again for a bigger season.

That's what id do if I had my time back anyway. Best of luck.

Advertisement