Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The preciousness of "being objectified"

• 24-04-2014 1:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Robson Lobson

On my facebook feed there are numerous women complaining how they are "objectified" by men on dating sites such as Tinder. Basically men are asking them for sex and complimenting them on their physical appearance or saying what they would love to do with them.

These men are being genuine and honest in communicating what they want and what would like to do, fair enough it might get annoying if that's not what you want, but they aren't entitled to dictate to men what they should be interested in, if they aren't interested then all they have to say is no and not act immature in response by saying they are being "objectified". Just because a man has no interest in a woman sexually does not mean she is treated as an object. No man wants to cum on a pen or tell a pen what it would like to do to it's lid.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

If they're on Tinder, they're objectifying men as well.

On my facebook feed there are numerous women complaining how they are "objectified" by men on dating sites such as Tinder. Basically men are asking them for sex and complimenting them on their physical appearance or saying what they would love to do with them.

These men are being genuine and honest in communicating what they want and what would like to do, fair enough it might get annoying if that's not what you want, but they aren't entitled to dictate to men what they should be interested in, if they aren't interested then all they have to say is no and not act immature in response by saying they are being "objectified". Just because a man has no interest in a woman sexually does not mean she is treated as an object. No man wants to cum on a pen or tell a pen what it would like to do to it's lid.

While no one has the right not to be objectified, everyone very much has the right not to be treated like an object. You should learn the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Tinder is based on looks. If they dont want to be asked for a shag they can put that on their profile. Simples.

/it sounds like they want to boast about people wanting to fúck them by "complaining" tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Ya whah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

So what are you saying - equal rights for perverts? no thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

There's a difference between complimenting a woman and being a moronic sleaze though.

Some guys would do well to learn the difference. Who knows some woman might even lower her standards enough that they might eventually lose their virginity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

But I thought Tinder was all about personality?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Robson Lobson

Candie wrote: »
    While no one has the right not to be objectified, everyone very much has the right not to be treated like an object. You should learn the difference.

Can you define being treated like an object? It's a nebulous term that can be interpreted in different ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Would you walk up to some girl in a pub and say those things to her? You'd be idiot if you did and probably get a well deserved slap. I think the women are right in this case.

The guys on that site like most dating sites are probably depraved loners and its their only contact with members of the opposite sex,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

No man wants to cum on a pen or tell a pen what it would like to do to it's lid.
    Speak for yourself.

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    Speak for yourself.

That analogy is lost on me. I have no idea what a pen has to do with anything. I've been trying to imagine how the OP would have sex with a pen lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

These men are being genuine and honest in communicating what they want and what would like to do, fair enough it might get annoying if that's not what you want, but they aren't entitled to dictate to men what they should be interested in, if they aren't interested then all they have to say is no and not act immature in response by saying they are being "objectified". Just because a man has no interest in a woman sexually does not mean she is treated as an object. No man wants to cum on a pencil or tell a pencil what it would like to do to it's lid.

If you are referring to crude messages left by male users, about what they would do to them then the woman has every right to tell them to do one. People, often men leave pretty vulgar messages on these sites that they wouldn't dream of saying in public and you have to ask why is that?

You're not entitled to spout off your private fantasies to a person just because they're a complete stranger, attractive and on what people would call hook up sites.

What ever about cheap chat up lines and seeing where the conversation goes, but to say straight out what you'd do to them, not going to get you far, sleazy at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Do people actually go on things like Tinder and then complain about people not wanting to know the cavernous interior of their souls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

MadYaker wrote: »
    Would you walk up to some girl in a pub and say those things to her? You'd be idiot if you did and probably get a well deserved slap. I think the women are right in this case.

The guys on that site like most dating sites are probably depraved loners and its their only contact with members of the opposite sex,

Are you advocating assault? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

If your using Tinder, then is that sort of to be expected? Isn't that the whole purpose of that app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Id say half the people on tinder are just trolling anyway. In fact it sounds like it might be a bit of craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Whatever happened to manners and respect?

Even if you are on a hook up site like Tinder there is no need to talk in such a disgusting manner to someone. Do people really think that kind of talk turns the opposite sex on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭Bananatop

No man wants to cum on a pen or tell a pen what it would like to do to it's lid.
    It's a nebulous term that can be interpreted in different ways.

Quite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

wes wrote: »
    If your using Tinder, then is that sort of to be expected? Isn't that the whole purpose of that app?

You could expect to be approached with a bit of tact, respect and even a little charm on occasion.
    You shouldn't expect to have someone telling you directly what they'd like to do to you. If you wouldn't say it in real life, why would you say it online?

What I really don't understand is how people think that that approach might actually be successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Steppenwolfe

Don't take any notice what they say on their fb feed. Just let them rabbit on to each other. You're worse for taking them seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

You could expect to be approached with a bit of tact, respect and even a little charm on occasion.
    You shouldn't expect to have someone telling you directly what they'd like to do to you. If you wouldn't say it in real life, why would you say it online?

If its a hook up app like Tinder, then I wouldn't be surprised if people acted different on it. In general people act differently on the Internet. Its not news, and if you go to different sites/apps etc people will in some cases act worse.

Sure, its a sorry state of affairs, but I really don't see it changing anytime soon.
    What I really don't understand is how people think that that approach might actually be successful.

No clue either, but I guess the distance provided by the Internet make people act stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

These men are being genuine

Genuine creeps.
    Just because a man has no interest in a woman sexually does not mean she is treated as an object

Don't think you quite understand the meaning of objectification there mate.

This is just bizarre :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

They call me The Pussy Destroyer!

*Takes breath from inhaler*

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Genuine creeps.

Don't think you quite understand the meaning of objectification there mate.

This is just bizarre :O

Pens are objects.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

eviltwin wrote: »

Even if you are on a hook up site like Tinder there is no need to talk in such a disgusting manner to someone. Do people really think that kind of talk turns the opposite sex on?

I think it turns some of the opposite sex on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Pens are objects.
    Bit early to be drunk or are you on a rollover from last night?

Pens are objects.

Try reading the bit I quoted, just above where I said that

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

You're assuming it's a genuine attempt at getting interest/the ride. I'd say a large proportion is lads taking the piss.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

eviltwin wrote: »

This. For ****s sake have some dignity like. What do you look like, scrambling to get a woman to pay attention to you by being disgusting. Be polite, have a conversation.

• Advertisement

Try reading the bit I quoted, just above where I said that

I did, to tell a woman you would like to fukc her is not objectification as you would never say that to an actual object, ie a pen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

I've been on dating sites before, and I genuinely think they are trying to flirt!

mauzo! wrote: »
    I've been on dating sites before, and I genuinely think they are trying to flirt!

God bless them! :P

cloud493 wrote: »
    This. For ****s sake have some dignity like. What do you look like, scrambling to get a woman to pay attention to you by being disgusting. Be polite, have a conversation.

That's another option, game playing.

I did, to tell a woman you would like to fukc her is not objectification as you would never say that to an actual object, ie a pen.

You're not the brightest pen in the pencil case are you?

You clearly didn't, that's not what you said.

Edit: Also, that too is not objectification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

MadYaker wrote: »

You'd do well to join the boards online dating forum* and interact with some of the OD community on here before making a generalisation like that! Some lovely, genuine people involved there that I've really enjoyed interacting with..

And don't think that all the tail chasing and sex soliciting on dating sites is perpetrated by men alone...because you'd be quite wrong!

*Well, don't actually...unless you're genuinely involved in it yourself. Forum rules and all that.

You clearly didn't, that's not what you said.

Edit: Also, that too is not objectification.

Define objectification.

Define objectification.

In basic terms, which you may or may not understand; it is to treat a human being as an object.

Define objectification.

To degrade someone to the status of a mere object. It means you treat them as though they are of lesser value or worth than they are. It doesn't mean you crack onto pens. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

sopretty wrote: »
    In basic terms, which you may or may not understand; it is to treat a human being as an object.

So porpositioning an adult to inquire their consent is treating them like an object?

I rarely send an email to my pen to ask for it's consent in using it as an object to write a letter.

• Advertisement

Maguined wrote: »
    So porpositioning an adult to inquire their consent is treating them like an object?

I rarely send an email to my pen to ask for it's consent in using it as an object to write a letter.

Exactly. You just use it.

So complaining about something on facebook is actually dictating to men on tinder on what they should be interested in. Okay got it

Maguined wrote: »

Nope. However, treating a woman as though her only purpose or value is sexual IS objectification. Why is this hard to understand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I don't think I'll ever quite look at a Bic the same way again.

strobe wrote: »
    I don't think I'll ever quite look at a Bic the same way again.

I actually went so far as to try to visualise him sticking his flute into the lid to try to figure out the relevance of the pen analogy!!!

All I can say is, it involved a very small flute. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

sopretty wrote: »

A human being is an object.

Spunge wrote: »
    A human being is an object.

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Men are blunt and want easy sex. Do some of these women not realise this?

iDave wrote: »

Perhaps men should buy some blow up dolls?

iDave wrote: »

Women are people, not just sexual objects. Do some of these men not realise this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement