Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol lawnmowers

Options
  • 24-04-2014 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Bought an electric mower from lidl last summer, take out for 1st time this yr & shuts off part way thru ! Been told petrol mowers more reliable so if anyone sees good offers on them......not too big a garden & see some for €200 so looking for under that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Wossack

is it not still under warranty with lidl?

less to go wrong with an electric, so I'd have thought they'd be inherently more reliable (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LostDamo

Wossack wrote: »
    is it not still under warranty with lidl?

less to go wrong with an electric, so I'd have thought they'd be inherently more reliable (?)

Quite possibly still under warranty! Am hunting the receipt too lol

I've only ever had electric ones, 3-4 at this stage, but being told that petrol ones more reliable. For sure open to correction that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Wossack

Possibly cause they're petrol there might be more engineering in them (mostly metal vs typically plastic for electric ones), and also resulting in heavier yoke you're not likely to throw around or such

I'm on the fence now lol :P

You do see a lot more ancient petrol mowers then ancient electric ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

I've had a Mountfield electric mower for about 20 years. Still going. But don't know if the current ones are as sturdy - this one has a metal deck. Only thing that went on it was the screws fell out of the handle. Got electric one as my arm was nearly out of its socket trying to start the previous petrol one I had. Electric all the way for me - plug in and go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 damo244

LostDamo wrote: »
    Bought an electric mower from lidl last summer, take out for 1st time this yr & shuts off part way thru ! Been told petrol mowers more reliable so if anyone sees good offers on them......not too big a garden & see some for €200 so looking for under that.

If you buy a petrol mower just make sure it has Briggs & Stratton engine parts are easily got for them as for under €200 for a good petrol mower do your homework before you buy you can buy a mower in Tesco but what about back up service when things go wrong how long are you going to wait for it to be fixed if it does go wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement