Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Strand - whats it like to live there

Options
  • 24-04-2014 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I am looking to buy a house North Strand, one of the cul de sacs.

I am strating toi hear iffy things from work colleagues about the area.

Can anyone who lives around there let me know what its like?

I will also be walking to and from work in the city centre, what is Amien St like to walk down, again is it safe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

For me it would depend on one thing, if I planned or had children to bring up in that area I would steer clear otherwise it wouldn't bother me.

Best thing to do is take a few strolls up and down Amien street and see how you feel yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

if you can ignore the drunk/drug types that hang around and the "Ah relax i was only buzzin off yeh" types its not that bad. But if that sort of thing bothers you, you should look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Lived there for a number of years.

It is actually quite nice and very central. The walk from town is pretty safe at most times but there are some issues on Amien Street but it isn't really dangerous. Mostly just the same drunks and junkies every day. They don't want to cause any trouble really as the want to be able to be there the next day. Generally the people there police themselves. After they see you going by regularly they really won't bother you at all.

North Strand itself is a bit rough looking but actually very quiet. Lots of professionals live there now so it is some what gentrified. Cusack's used to be one of the nicest pubs in Dublin but the management changed and I think it has become little less popular.

The main problem is the neighbouring areas which are a little rougher. Not sure if I would raise a child there either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Find out which part of the Nth Strand it is...some areas are fine and quiet and others are dirty and feel unsafe.
    As a general rule though it's no too bad and 300% better than it was 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Stargrrl

I've lived in North Strand for around 7 years and very happy here (I also bough a house in one of the cul-de-sacs off North Strand Rd!). There's a grand community feeling in the area, some decent local shops and restaurants/cafe's, a thriving Community Garden, a couple of great pubs and unlike a previous poster I think it is fine for kids, my daughter was a teenager when we moved here and never had any hassle. The local primary, St. Columba's has a good reputation, there's an Educate Together primary planned for Marino and a few decent secondary schools within easy reach. I would somewhat differentiate between the D1 parts of North Strand (roughly between the Five Lamps and the canal bridge) and the D3 parts, (from the canal up as far as Annesley Bridge/Fairview) as I find the D1 has more of the 'grittier' elements mentioned in previous posts but generally am very happy here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dtipp

I agree with Stargrrl. I lived in Strandville Avenue, and found North Strand to be a lovely area. Never had any bother at all - Cusack's is a lovely pub (know nothing about change of management mentioned above, haven't been there in a while).
    You're a short walk from Fairview Park, and the coast walk - and also an easy walk to city centre Dublin.

I wouldn't recommend walking from city centre to North Strand late at night (though I did it many times), though, to be fair, there are not many areas in Dublin that you would recommend walking late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

Thanks all for the useful replies.

The house is in a cul de sac where you can see croke park quite close. It's D3 but close to D1.

Is living in a cul de sac near Croke park annoying for residents?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Murray007 wrote: »

Yes.Like you wouldn't imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Stargrrl

Well, yes but it is all within very concentrated timeframe thankfully. I (think) know the cul-de-sac you're referring to, (even know one or two of the residents!) and you won't have the issue of it being a 'through road' to Croke Park, so there won't be loads traipsing up and down. However you are likely to have some issues with people parking in your 'spot' (there's no disk parking in the area as yet.). That part is 'outside the cordon' so you won't have restrictions and barriers up but yes, it can sometimes be a hassle getting around on match days, even walking on the pavements and driving is a nightmare. That said it's only a few weekends so I tend to just put up with it because the rest of the time the benefits outweigh the issues. The concerts can be a problem too and I'm seriously thinking about trying to get away for a few days during the whole Garth Brooks extravaganza as I don't think I could take being within earshot for that many nights in a row! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Stargrrl wrote: »
    ... I'm seriously thinking about trying to get away for a few days during the whole Garth Brooks extravaganza as I don't think I could take being within earshot for that many nights in a row! ;)
    Fund your escape by renting your gaff to fans. I don't think Garth Brooks fans are likely to trash the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Murray007 wrote: »
    Thanks all for the useful replies.

The house is in a cul de sac where you can see croke park quite close. It's D3 but close to D1.

I lived on Jones road for a few years and it wasnt that bad. Match days mean crowds before and after games. Im living off Dargle road now and have no issues. All Ireland final match day is the only time It was really busy.

I walk through North Strand every day on my way into work and have no issues. Thw junkies on Amien st are there for the methadone clinic beside Connolly station. Thats in the city center though. One thing for every Dublin property is to make sure the garden is secure and someone cant hop the wall through an unsecured lane.

Advertisement