Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension to existing Dwelling (Cork Area)

Options
  • 24-04-2014 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,

We are looking at the viability of putting an extension to a house - something at about 60s square meters.

Would it sound realistic to assume;

1. 10k Arch
    2. 100k Construction Costs
    3. 1k Planning Costs

Does this seems reasonable.

In today's climate are we resonable to expect that we should get a high finish for 1600p/sqm.

We are hoping that 60sqm could add a large bedroom and ensuite/walkin wardrobe + kitchen.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

craic90 wrote: »
    Hi,

We are looking at the viability of putting an extension to a house - something at about 60s square meters.

Would it sound realistic to assume;

1. 10k Arch
    2. 100k Construction Costs
    3. 1k Planning Costs

Does this seems reasonable.

In today's climate are we resonable to expect that we should get a high finish for 1600p/sqm.

We are hoping that 60sqm could add a large bedroom and ensuite/walkin wardrobe + kitchen.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    that's achievable, given the limited info provided.
    it does however become unrealisitc if we were to factor in works to the existing dwelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 craic90

Thanks for the answer Bryan.

In respect to making other changes to the dwelling - sure they would be needed over time - but we not including those in the estimates here.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

craic90 wrote: »
    In respect to making other changes to the dwelling - sure they would be needed over time - but we not including those in the estimates here.
    if i had a penny for ever time i heard that... (modern 28msq extension with alterations to ground floor of existing terrace house returned recently a circa 75k - Cork suburbs)

you've set your budget
    now consider:
    • a contingency of 15-20% for the unknown unknown (kept separate to the build budget)
    • then write a wish list
    • and of course write the 'needs' list
    • get photos/power-point/scrap-book of ideas and go meet several architects
    best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

100k seems a lot you do know you could build a house for that, average for something like that completely finished to a high standard we are charging less than 60k and thats in Dublin.
    I would say be sure to get some costing done the same for the architect 10k wow price around.
    planning is way off the mark at 1,000 too

• Registered Users Posts: 44 craic90

650gs wrote: »
    planning is way off the mark at 1,000 too

I assume you mean too high? I was told that the sq meter charge only kicks in after 60sqm if you are building onto an existing dwelling.

Probably the cost then for the application is less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

Just my 2 cents worth but I think everything is way too high by a mile

Advertisement