Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interest in starting a new Bushcraft Club

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hammock n Tarp 88

Crapbag wrote: »
    Hi Bernard,

Donal here. I'm delighted you're so enthused about it. I wouldn't let geography get in the way of starting a club. For example in our club we have members from Cork, Mayo, Galway, Meath, Dublin and Belfast to mention but a few. Not everyone makes every meet up but it doesn't stop them being a member as they can get our maybe once every 2 months. We meet every 4 weeks at least and many of us are prepared to travel. What I would suggest is looking for somewhere that you can get land access first. Having the legitimatacy of Mountaineering Ireland will really help with that. Somewhere central would be ideal but really, you'll find it hard to be able to pick a spot that you want. It's whatever you can get for now, then when you have even a small location you can get people in and make contacts

Thanks for the reply Donal, I do agree, starting small would probably be the best approach, I've a feeling that land access will be a bitch, even just for one club, let alone 2.

If you wouldn't mind, would it be possible for us to have a wee chat, even just by Facebook about the very fundamentals, because even the idea of how to begin getting land access is fairly daunting, plus also maybe just a run through of the process with mountaineering Ireland? At your convenience of course?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

No problem at all. I'll drop you a line tomorrow about it

Crapbag wrote: »
    No problem at all. I'll drop you a line tomorrow about it

perfect, thanks very much mate

hi everyone, I was talking to hellooperator there on private message, and he suggested we create a facebook chat group or a whatsapp group to talk out the details, so if people want to pm me a link to their facebook profiles i'll add you as a friend and into the conversation??

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hexagonal

hi everyone, I was talking to hellooperator there on private message, and he suggested we create a facebook chat group or a whatsapp group to talk out the details, so if people want to pm me a link to their facebook profiles i'll add you as a friend and into the conversation??

I came across this thread looking for bushcraft courses, like those weekend ones. I've only gone camping a few times but really have no idea about shelter, making fire without equipment, finding food, etc. How knowledgeable should people be?

• Advertisement

hexagonal wrote: »
    I came across this thread looking for bushcraft courses, like those weekend ones. I've only gone camping a few times but really have no idea about shelter, making fire without equipment, finding food, etc. How knowledgeable should people be?

You don't need that much knowledge,just enough for you to be safe, so proper knife handling skills and some half decent gear that you're familiar with.
    What you need most is a really genuine interest in bushcraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ihatehalloween

Hi all
    I would be interested in being part of a Bushcraft group. Let me know if this is happening or if you need me to do anything.

Advertisement