Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie wishing to start bodybuilding.

• 24-04-2014 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Years ago I did use to go to the gym. However I used to mainly just focus on cardio and just weight machines without much strength training focus.

For a short time a lost a big of weight. Then after college I mainly focused on kickboxing.

Due to work and other projects, I recently stopped doing this. I also don't have as much interest in Martial Arts as I used to.

Last summer, I started using free weight dumbbells at home and looking at techniques on youtube.

I surprised myself when I managed to lose a good bit of weight and my waist line decreased.

Gradually I would add a longer time to my sets and then also add a bit more weights every few months. Then I also bought a kettlebell to add to my training.

Right now I'm currently lifting 20 kg dumbbells on each arm. This is still likely small compared to professionals, but I'm aiming to add more in a few months when I get used to it.

I'm considering joining a gym close to work to add to my training. This time round with the focus on weight-lifting and strength training.

I'm currently 210 lbs (15 stone) and 6 f 1in. I don't know my bodyfat level, but I'm guessing it's around 22%.

What advice or tips would you give to someone starting off?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Visit a good trainer and get a program, or use an established program and stick to it religiously until you plateau. By that time you will have learned enough to decide what you want to do next.

Educate yourself on nutrition and eat well, your progress will depend more on what you eat than how you train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Join a gym or buy your own equipment (barbell, bench and squat rack), whatever works for you. Consider gettinG someone to teach you the way to lift correctly either way.
    Get your diet in check (i.e. eat enough protein)
    Select a program that has linear progression, has compound movements, is simple - stronglifts or starting strength for example.
    Read this website - http://simplesciencefitness.com

Advertisement