Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problems remembering characters/plots

• 24-04-2014 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else have a problem remembering the plot lines and characters in books they've read? I don't mean every book they've ever read but the classics that people refer to regularly.

As a child I worked my way through Treasure Island, Jane Eyre, Last of the Mohicans, Railway Children, Dickens etc

At college I read a lot of Henry James, Philip Roth, Cormac McCarthy, War and Peace, Great Gatsby.

Now I couldn't tell you anything about any of those books. It's gotten so bad that I've started writing short synopsis of books as I've read them. I read forums like boards and people have opinions on all manner of books/authors where I struggle to remember the main plot. Am I alone? Any tips for rectifying the situation?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

No, not really. I might forget some character names for some books after a while, especially if they're not that well known. But I'd usually remember the basic plot. It isn't such a bad idea to not remember everything as it can make a re-read interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

quickbeam wrote: »
    It isn't such a bad idea to not remember everything as it can make a re-read interesting.

True, but there is such a huge numbers of books out there that I've still to read I don't want to have to reread constantly. I find after about 5 years I have a very limited memory of books unless I've studied them or perhaps seen the movie version.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yes I'm very bad at this OP. Some books stick in my mind, and I remember them quite well, but most of the time I only remember very vague details. In fact the only reason I can tell if you if I liked a book is because I remember how I felt when I read it, rather than remember the book itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Miss.Mayhem

I'm bad at this too. I joined Goodreads and it lets you rate books and write down notes/reviews/synopsis of each book you've read. I use this site to keep track of them all. I find this site a great help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem. I bought Dubliners last night at a charity event and even though I've read it at least 5 times and seen a stage play version I could only really remember the details of one or two of the stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Think it's pretty normal to be honest, a limitation of human memory. Books are detailed, so after a few minutes, you've already begun to forget small details as you process more of the book. After a few weeks, unless you've been making an effort to keep the book in long term memory, pretty much anything finer than the broad strokes of a story will be gone.

It's kinda good in a way, as you can enjoy books a second and third time through semi-fresh eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The mark of a good book is if you can remember its plot and its characters after a certain amount of time has elapsed. There are some books that I forget immediately after I've finished them, but the memorable ones will always stand out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I agree with Harry, there are books I read that I forget pretty instantly, but I think the mark of a good book is one where you remember the characters or the story. Or even if I can't remember the exact details, I sometimes remember how a book made me feel at the time and that to me is also a sign of a great book. I second the recommendation for Goodreads, handy reminder of what books I've read and if you right a quick review it can jog your memory further. OP, I can go one further, there are some books I've rated on goodreads and I don't remember reading them... Even after reading the synopsis! Now that's surely the sign of a poor book!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Not good with complex plots when it come to reading. I got the given the hobbit as a book when I was about 11 or 12. Struggled with it. Too many original concepts for me to take in. I am better with movies, I know I will be slated for that, my imagination is very verbal, I think you need a very visual imagination to fully appreciate books like that. A movie make it easier for a dope my me because the visual are put right under your nose.

Advertisement