Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drone Flight OVer City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Just watched it there gives a different perspective from the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Great video well worth watching,

However i must wonder if this guy has the proper qualifications and permissions to be doing this type of work. To my knowledge you need permissions from Irish aviation authority. https://www.iaa.ie/unmanned-air-systems

As well as being certified to use them. It would be a dangerous if for any reason the drone was to fail, would probably cause serious injury or damage from that height.

He seems well geared up though so he might be a professional in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

However i must wonder if this guy has the proper qualifications and permissions to be doing this type of work. To my knowledge you need permissions from Irish aviation authority. https://www.iaa.ie/unmanned-air-systems

As well as being certified to use them. It would be a dangerous if for any reason the drone was to fail, would probably cause serious injury or damage from that height.

He seems well geared up though so he might be a professional in this area.

You do indeed need clearance from the IAA to fly these lads, be surprised if he was given clearance as it's not too far from a busy enough flight path.

Now that said, it's a great perspective of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

11811 wrote: »
    You do indeed need clearance from the IAA to fly these lads, be surprised if he was given clearance as it's not too far from a busy enough flight path.

Now that said, it's a great perspective of the city.

The flight path and safety issue would be the greatest worry, now this guy does seem to be well used to the equipment etc, but I would worry that some copy cats would try similar with deadly results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Nice one for that Red Nissan.

It's fantastic viewing.. I love it.

What would the max distance be for it to be flown?

It's great to see the City from that view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Since you can build your own for about €115, I'd wonder many people register with the IAA?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Superb. What I love most about perspectives like this is the inside of city blocks, the cramped mess of buildings that they end up, but usually with little cubbies of light and even greenery. Speaking of which, I had absolutely no idea there was that much green behind Shandon. None. Really must pop in there some day, I've put it off for years.

Well done that man. I'd love to know what quad he has, the handling and video are, again, superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

rovoagho wrote: »
    Superb. What I love most about perspectives like this is the inside of city blocks, the cramped mess of buildings that they end up, but usually with little cubbies of light and even greenery. Speaking of which, I had absolutely no idea there was that much green behind Shandon. None. Really must pop in there some day, I've put it off for years.

Well done that man. I'd love to know what quad he has, the handling and video are, again, superb.

The comments say it is this
    http://www.dji.com/product/phantom

Must say the city looks good from the air.Cant believe that he forgot to do a flyby of the Elysian.

Lets hope we dont hear of a Ryanair jet aborting a landing for his next video.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Very impressive alright however I'm a bit surprised at the distance it managed to cover, the site says it has an "effective control distance up to 300 meters" but surely it went a lot further than that from where it took off?

The comments say it is this
    http://www.dji.com/product/phantom

Must say the city looks good from the air.Cant believe that he forgot to do a flyby of the Elysian.

Lets hope we dont hear of a Ryanair jet aborting a landing for his next video.:D

On second thoughts,he would of had to fly over Anglesea St. Garda station.

Well planned pilot.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I'm a bit surprised he flew over the courthouse though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Came close enough to Rathmore Road too, a drone like that could be useful for certain ahem... deliveries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

That a great clip

Wayne in the plane is fired!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

Great clip that, great views of the city.
    For some reason I would love a night time version, just to see the city light up from above. It always looks great when coming into land at the airport by night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

JohnK wrote: »
    Very impressive alright however I'm a bit surprised at the distance it managed to cover, the site says it has an "effective control distance up to 300 meters" but surely it went a lot further than that from where it took off?

I read "Communication Distance 1000m " , but from where he took off and went , it has to be much much further than that again !

I'm not 100% sure on the model used , i think someone on Youtube commented on the DJIPhantom but it wasn't the uploader Raymond Fogarty . Very impressive tho .

Anybody have more info on the model used etc , specs ? distance ??

EDIT : i think he flew south of St Finbarrs Cathedral almost into Greenmount from take-off somewhere near Ardparick ( sorry not sure where ) on the Northside of the City . Just a guess that must be almost 1.5 miles ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Enjoyable video..

podmu80 wrote: »
    Great clip that, great views of the city.
    For some reason I would love a night time version, just to see the city light up from above. It always looks great when coming into land at the airport by night.

Not a video but a great night shot of the city here.(See post no.60)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056145173&page=4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

On second thoughts,he would of had to fly over Anglesea St. Garda station.

Well planned pilot.:)

To avoid their SAM silo ? :P Can't imagine they are going to go looking for somebody flying a model aircraft, all they have to do anyway is wait for him to upload a video to youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Pity to hear on Ref FM just now a [expert] decrying the video and really being a scare monger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Pity to hear on Ref FM just not a [expert] decrying the video and really being a scare monger.

Yup,, a right bore..

Look, he maybe had a few points, but why take away what is clearly a fantastic clip.

As Neil Prenderville pointed out though, if any planes were that close to where the drone was to have been affected, We'd all have been in trouble. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,030 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Do we know that he/she didn't have air traffic control clearance?

FYI, he was flying not much higher than 240ft, that being the height of St Finbarr's Cathedral.

That's well below the 500ft maximum altitude for nearby traffic as per air traffic.

If a jet were to have flown that low over the Cathedral its jet wash would likely have toppled the spires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Should we erectgiant bird nets around the city next ? Think of the damage a kamazie heron could inflict! Think of the children joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I agree it was a great video but the guy on RedFM was pretty spot on regarding injuring someone though, if there was a fault and it lost control at that altitude there could be serious damage if it hit someone, or hit a car causing it to crash or something. These quad copters are only made for recreational purposes, they're basically expensive toys, their components are only consumer rated, not rated for aeronautical purposes, which makes the likelihood of something going wrong a lot greater. Grand in an empty field or beach, but to operate them in a populated area over pedestrians and traffic is frankly reckless.
    4.5 RPAS Operating Procedures - System with a Mass Less Than 20kg
    In addition to the operating conditions detailed in 4.4 above the following specific conditions will be applied to RPAS operations for systems with a mass of less than 20kg as part of the IAA permissions and exemptions process:
    (a) the aircraft shall not be operated beyond Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) and not further than 500 metres from the point of operation;
    (b) the aircraft shall not be operated at a height of more than 120 metres (400 feet) above ground level;
    (c) the aircraft shall not be operated over or within the confines of a congested area except with the written permission of the Authority;
    (d) the aircraft shall not be operated within controlled airspace except with the written permission of the Controlling Authority;
    (e) the aircraft shall not be operated within an aerodrome traffic zone or closer than 8 kilometres (5 nautical miles) from an aerodrome boundary, whichever is the greatest distance, except with the written permission of the Controlling Authority;
    (f) the aircraft shall not be operated over any assembly of persons on the ground nor closer than 150 metres laterally from such an assembly;
    (g) the aircraft shall not be operated within 150 metres of any person, vessel, vehicle or structure not under the control of the aircraft operator; during take-off or landing however, the aircraft must not be flown within 50 metres of any person, unless that person is under the control of the aircraft operator.
    (g) the aircraft shall not be operated closer than 2 kilometres from an aircraft in flight;
    (h) the aircraft shall not be operated unless there is in place a third party liability insurance policy covering the operation of the system which is acceptable to the Authority.

It would appear that all but (g) of the above were broken, I don't know how legally enforceable these operational advisories are, but it would certainly be best practice to adhere to them.

I know it's a bit of fun and looks great, but if something had gone wrong it would be a very different conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Does anyone have another link to this, other than the Youtube link in the OP?
    It doesn't seem to be accessible any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Does anyone have another link to this, other than the Youtube link in the OP?
    It doesn't seem to be accessible any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV9bQYAdX94

Dannyboy83 wrote: »

This is a seriously terrible video. Seriously not worth watching this version with music and totally degraded video quality.

I'm glad I saw the original, fantastic graphics and as an enthusiast, I prefer hearing the motor noises rather than canned music.

Red Nissan wrote: »
    This is a seriously terrible video. Seriously not worth watching this version with music and totally degraded video quality.

I'm glad I saw the original, fantastic graphics and as an enthusiast, I prefer hearing the motor noises rather than canned music.

Any idea why the original isn't available any more?

• Advertisement

I don't know, but it was fantastic.

Advertisement