Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drone Flight OVer City

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

I had a feeling the video wouldn't be available for too long so I downloaded it from YouTube and have it saved to my hard-drive. Will re-upload it and post a link in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Any idea why the original isn't available any more?

Because he was breaking the law?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/drone-pilot-denies-claims-he-acted-recklessly-while-filming-cork-video-266609.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Paudie Barry of Baseline Surveys Ltd said he felt “a bit sick” watching the video

Honest to god. I can understand people trying to protect their businesses, but to paint it as anything other than that is just plain pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

daveohdave wrote: »
    Honest to god. I can understand people trying to protect their businesses, but to paint it as anything other than that is just plain pathetic.
    Do you disagree with what he said though?

Personally I think it was a bit naive and reckless, untrained and using a non-aerospace rated device in a populated area, over traffic and property. It's unlikely, but could have failed with possible health consequences to the people below. Even the manufacturer says only use in unpopulated areas.

Yeah, they could've caught cancer or anything.

• Advertisement

Just tried to upload it to YouTube but it was rejected. :o

Trim a minute or two off the start or the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭dj_

Or upload it somewhere else?

Trim a minute or two off the start or the end.

I took a bit off the start and the end.

dj_ wrote: »
    Or upload it somewhere else?

If someone can suggest a good video hosting site that will allow me to upload without any type of registration, I'll gladly upload it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

zetalambda wrote: »

If someone can suggest a good video hosting site that will allow me to upload without any type of registration, I'll gladly upload it.

You could stick it on Google Drive and make the link public?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

zetalambda wrote: »

Upload it on Dailymotion. If there are Prince songs still on Dailymotion, I think an aerial video of Cork is safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

Yeah, they could've caught cancer or anything.

There have been accidents:
    In Manhattan, in September 2013:
    http://7online.com/archive/9292217/
    http://7online.com/archive/9270668/
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-02/drone-operator-fined-after-almost-hitting-nyc-pedestrian.html

In Virginia, USA:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/08/drone-hits-spectators-watching-the-running-of-the-bulls-in-virginia/279040/

In Geraldton, Australia:
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/08/air-safety-triathlete-struck-drone
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-29/casa-quizzes-geraldton-drone-crash-witnesses/5418414

The Manhattan crash fortunately caused no injuries, despite the owner losing control and hitting several buildings and it hit the pavement. The Virginia incident caused minor injuries (though nobody was hospitalised). The athlete injured in Geraldton was taken to hospital. The investigation into that is still ongoing, but it seems her account is considered credible and it may have been the result of a malfunction.

Indeed, those three incidents demonstrate a significant risk to society. We should also ban tethered remote control cars that small children use, due to the slight increased risk of ankle bruises, and light damage to furniture. Also cats, for the same reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Indeed, those three incidents demonstrate a significant risk to society. We should also ban tethered remote control cars that small children use, due to the slight increased risk of ankle bruises, and light damage to furniture. Also cats, for the same reasons.

Does a small remote car have the potential crash through the windscreen of a car on a busy motorway? Yes yes i know i will get hit with ZOMG "way to overreact" and "Bah the chances of that happening are miniscule" but the fact is that it is something that COULD happen and that is why there are rules and laws against this type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

well if i see it in the sky i gonna get it with my black widow,,,,long time since i used it like

• Registered Users Posts: 17,030 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sure no point in gun control either. Sure accidents rarely happen. Oh and lets allow children to ride on the backs of tractors - I did it and it did me no harm!
    What's the deal with seat belts? My mam's car had none when I was small and I never once went through the windscreen.

Nanny state. Pffft!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

Would be a good idea to have a fund raiser for him to get the License so we can see more videos like this and keep the "think of the children" brigade schtum. Very impressive video.

snaphook wrote: »
    Would be a good idea to have a fund raiser for him to get the License so we can see more videos like this and keep the "think of the children" brigade schtum. Very impressive video.

He still wouldn't be allowed to fly over populated areas. I've only witnessed drones flying twice and I've seen two drones crash - really- both flown by licenced, experienced operators. A drone crashing is not just a vague possibility. A drone coming down on a main road could have very serious consequences. Yes, it's lovely to see the video of the city but despite what some very vocal people here think, it was a dangerous, stupid and (afaik) iillegal thing to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

He still wouldn't be allowed to fly over populated areas. I've only witnessed drones flying twice and I've seen two drones crash - really- both flown by licenced, experienced operators. A drone crashing is not just a vague possibility. A drone coming down on a main road could have very serious consequences. Yes, it's lovely to see the video of the city but despite what some very vocal people here think, it was a dangerous, stupid and (afaik) iillegal thing to do.

I bet your a blast at parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

lolosaur wrote: »
    Excellent point. Your perception of his behaviour at parties has everything to do with the topic at hand.

Do you disagree with any of the points raised? The manufacturers own instructions say not to use in populated areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Whereas you would be the one at the party who thinks it's great gas to jump in the river, not thinking about the consequences or the lives that are put at risk.

No I'm wild craic.
    I microwave small pets, put cigarettes out on the floor, leave strangers into the house, steal people's beer, cook the host's food, joy ride in their car, puke in, on and around the toilet and cajole people into drinking far more than they are able to.
    I'm great craic me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

However i must wonder if this guy has the proper qualifications and permissions to be doing this type of work. To my knowledge you need permissions from Irish aviation authority. https://www.iaa.ie/unmanned-air-systems

I can't see that he's broken any rules and I wonder if this why the IAA aren't commenting specifically on the matter.

The regulations seem to be all over the place in this area.

For instance, in looking at the rules you've quoted it seems they don't apply where the "aircraft" is less than 20kg in weight and is being flown "for the sole purpose of recreational flying."

However, those "rules" quote SI No. 25/2000 which makes no distinction and exclusion for recreational flying, but lists only the following requirements:

1) A person who has charge of the operation of a small aircraft shall not permit any article or animal, whether or not attached to a parachute, to be dropped from that aircraft so as to endanger persons or property.

(2) A person who has charge of the operation of a small aircraft which weighs more than 1.5 kilograms without fuel but including any articles or equipment installed in or attached to the aircraft at the commencement of its flight shall not allow such an aircraft to be flown within 5 kilometres from an aerodrome boundary and unless that person has taken reasonable precautions to ensure that the flight can safely be made.

(3) A person who has charge of the operation of a small aircraft which weighs more than 7 kilograms without fuel but including any articles or equipment installed in or attached to the aircraft at the commencement of its flight shall not allow such an aircraft to be flown:

(a) within controlled airspace, unless the permission of the Authority has first been obtained;

(b) within the aerodrome traffic zone of an aerodrome or within 5 kilometres from an aerodrome boundary, whichever is the greater distance;

(c) at a height of more than 400 feet (120 metres) above the surface of the earth, unless the permission of the Authority has first been obtained;

(d) for aerial work purposes other than in accordance with a permission issued by the Authority and in accordance with such conditions as may be imposed by the Authority with that permission;

(e) within 2 kilometres of an aircraft in flight.

However, looking at the specs of the thing he flew it seems that it weighs 1kg, so provided he doesn't drop an animal or an article from the thing, it seems he's in the clear and he can do what he likes!

Not saying I agree with it, but that seems to be the position from my limited research.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Interesting. This thread started on the 24th and the IAA issued an Aeronautical Notice on the 28th.

It seems to make clear that provided his flight was recreational, he was breaking no rules.

They really could clear things up though. SI25/2000 does impose some rules if the craft is over 1.5kg or 7kg (whether or not the use is recreational) and now this notice seems to remove those rules as all recreational use is expressly not covered.

Clear as mud. Do the IAA join the dots when they draft documents?

It would've been closer to 1.5kg with the camera, I believe. Around there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

It would've been closer to 1.5kg with the camera, I believe. Around there anyway.
    Most (all?) of those drones have a camera. This which doesn't look unlike the one used is 1180g according to the specs.

Not all, no. I don't think it's known what he used, but early speculation was that it was a MK1, which didn't come with a camera. I dunno what the older cameras weigh though. The new ones are light as a feather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I dunno what the older cameras weigh though. The new ones are light as a feather.

GoPro Hero 3 in case and mount is 192grms. He did not use the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

Some comments on the regulations in the other thread in the aviation forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90510829&postcount=91

Advertisement