Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month ban for calling someone a homophobe

Options
  • 24-04-2014 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭

I got a ban from AH for calling a poster with a very clear history of derogatory posts about homosexuality a homophobe. It wasn't on a whim I called him one, he simply was.
    Had he made the same kinds of remarks against black people he would be a racist.

And there lies the problem. It's ok to call someone racist or sexist, I've seen it many, many times in AH already, but to call someone a homophobe was simply not on and abusive towards those who made the comments in the first place.

I'm sorry, but if you're making those kinds of comments you know what you're doing and you don't get to be offended if you get called a homophobe, because that's what you are. If you make constant derogatory remarks against black people you omit your right to be offended and call abuse if you get branded a racist as a result.

So why is this? Why are the rules so lax and selective with some things, yet deathly strict on others?

It seems highly hypocritical considering the issues of racism and homophobia are all the exact same at their core, yet they still get treated differently.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Are you disputing your ban, which incidentally expires in about 5 days, or is this a general query about modding? If it's the latter I'll move this thread to Help Desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Zaph wrote: »
    Are you disputing your ban, which incidentally expires in about 5 days, or is this a general query about modding? If it's the latter I'll move this thread to Help Desk.

It's the latter. I don't care about my ban, just the reasoning behind it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved back to DRF at OP's request to contest ban.

Ah come on, sort this out! My ban will have expired by this rate

• Registered Users Posts: 33,700 ✭✭✭✭Penn

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Ah come on, sort this out! My ban will have expired by this rate

_Redzer_, calling another poster a homophobe is attacking the poster, not the post. It's a personal comment about the poster.

Report posts by people making homophobic comments, and they'll be dealt with by the mods. Same rules apply and have always applied to scenarios featuring racism, sexism etc. If the mods have missed some, it was for genuine reasons rather than treating it differently.

Ban upheld. You may ask for an Admin to review this decision if you wish.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    _Redzer_, calling another poster a homophobe is attacking the poster, not the post. It's a personal comment about the poster.

Report posts by people making homophobic comments, and they'll be dealt with by the mods. Same rules apply and have always applied to scenarios featuring racism, sexism etc. If the mods have missed some, it was for genuine reasons rather than treating it differently.

Ban upheld. You may ask for an Admin to review this decision if you wish.
    That reasoning is very idiotic to be frank. How is calling someone a homophobe, which they were in all sense of the word personal abuse? It's calling a spade a spade. Plain and simple.

So if everything is equal I'm really not seeing it because I have never seen anyone get so much as a warning for calling somebody a racist or sexist. I could find you numerous where nothing has been done, so I really call BS on this, because in reality the mods don't even care.

So if I were to call someone a racist who was making derogatory remarks I would get a card? Doubtful

• Registered Users Posts: 33,700 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just because you don't see cards being given for it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I've dealt with numerous DRPs concerning them, and issued a few infractions/bans for same while helping out the AH mods.

It's a sitewide rule that you attack the post, not the poster. Calling another poster a homophobe, whether they've pretty much proven themselves to be or not, and regardless of whether or not the mods would even agree that they are a homophobe, it's still attacking the poster. Report the post and allow the mods to deal with it.

Do you request that an Admin reviews this decision, or can we mark this as resolved?

Advertisement