Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rotovator not strong enough - suggestions ?

• 24-04-2014 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Had a rotovator out today to break up lawn before regrading and laying turf.

The rotovator was only scrubbing the surface - broke up the old turf (killed off 3 weeks ago) but couldn't penetrate below about 3 inches. The clay below seems very compacted.

Any suggestions on what to use next ?

Ta

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Was it a proper rotovator or a tiller?

Some suggestions on this old thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055495839

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Rotavators are actually harder work than people think. There is the impression that you more or less point it in the direction you want to go and switch it on.
    Did you rent it? You should ask for something appropriate to what you want to do. A lot of machines are more suited to tilling soil that has already been rotavated or cultivated in the previous season. You need something more heavy duty. Or else fork over the whole land and then break it down with the machine you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Thanks for replies - it was a rotovator and problem is the ground is so compact. I did fork some of it but the area is 200m2 so I cant do it all.

I agree - something heavy duty is required - just not sure what would be best.

Picture of weapon is attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

ifah wrote: »
    Thanks for replies - it was a rotovator and problem is the ground is so compact. I did fork some of it but the area is 200m2 so I cant do it all.

I agree - something heavy duty is required - just not sure what would be best.

Picture of weapon is attached.
    You'll find it alot easier when you lift up the wheel at the front, that's there for transportation only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

What make (and model) is it? I've very surprised you had such a problem with a rotovator.
    I've a Texas 700B and it's an absolute godsend. The initial run (first gear, drag raised) takes a bit of pushing and steering, and a bit of coaxing. But after that all the runs (second gear, drag lowered) are a breeze. It ploughs thru the soil and really breaks up the clods. Inches away by itself, all I have to do is stand and watch. Sometimes a rock will hold things up, but a quick nudge and she's away.
    It's well heavy, which is a good thing. It's own weight is what gets it to go deep.

• Advertisement

You'll find it alot easier when you lift up the wheel at the front, that's there for transportation only.

That's stating the obvious - I have used them before - wheel was just reengaged to move it near gate.

As I said it just couldn't bite. Maybe not heavy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Were you using the back spike to pin the machine in one place? I have used machines like that on heavy clay soils in England in dry weather and they work fine like someone else said just hard work.

Have a beast like the one in the link arriving later -
    http://www.powerpacrentals.com/equipment/barreto-1320-rear-tined-rototiller/

I'll give an update on performance after :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

You will find that one could skip over the ground worse than the other one, and it won't go as deep.

Make sure you have it on the lowest speed and hold on for dear life, your back, legs and arms will know you've used it!

That's stating the obvious - I have used them before - wheel was just reengaged to move it near gate.

As I said it just couldn't bite. Maybe not heavy enough.
    You never know, there are alot of silly people out there,
    You do know you have to drop the pin at the back and use it like an anchor so the rotors can dig in do the job.

Hey that's great man except it doesn't look like you need something that big, besides you only need to break up the top 6 inches max for grading a lawn, have fun.

• Advertisement

You never know, there are alot of silly people out there,
    You do know you have to drop the pin at the back and use it like an anchor so the rotors can dig in do the job.

Too true :) (about the silliness that is ! ) And yep - it just didn't have the power to dig down - ground is very hard.
    Hey that's great man except it doesn't look like you need something that big, besides you only need to break up the top 6 inches max for grading a lawn, have fun.

I will !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

Very heavy and plenty of horses, you should do alright.
    We you renting the first one? That could be the problem. This is not a great country for renting, (be it tools or houses). Maintenance (i.e.) tends to be a huge problem, as anyone that's every hired a chainsaw will tell you.

The beast worked. Baretto 1320 worked a treat. Here's a pic.

The beast worked. Baretto 1320 worked a treat. Here's a pic.
    Oh tanksbetagawd fordat, I thought you'd have go with one of these next.
    agricultural-rotavator-1078723.jpg

Advertisement