Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade candy cab advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

I think when it comes to a big purchase like this, its important to deal in facts and not feelings.

The egrets/atomiswaves/astros etc are not huge cabinets. To put it into perspective, heres some dimensions;

Capcom Cute
    690 x 500 x 1300 mm

Egret/Atomiswave
    903 x 750 x 1450 mm

Difference (in cm !)
    21.3cm x 25cm x 15cm

See its such a small difference ? But that difference gives you comfort for when you play on it. I'd also suggest you would need that difference in space regardless of what cabinet you plan to buy, as thats pretty much the sort of dimensions 2 people playing side by side would take up, or one really big dude :pac:

Its also important to know the real price of a cabinet, and I see prices being posted sometimes and I really can't believe them.

So more facts :D Ronnie has a Astro City for sale @ €575. Last time I had a cabinet delivered from him it was €250; so thats €825 + you will want to use a stepdown convertor for the voltage. So you'd pick up a decent one for €50. Finally you'll end up wanting to change buttons and sticks for fresh ones, so you'll probably drop a few €€€ on that. All in I'd bet you'd spend €1K

My final word on this is a warning :eek: Beware the arrival of an Arcade Cabinet in the home, as be sure the desire for a 2nd will soon follow :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

ondafly wrote: »
    So you'd prick up a decent one for €50.

LOL :D

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,268 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just to play devil's advocate (!) it's good to compare numbers but sometimes they be deceiving. So best to look at some picture comparisons too.

Here's a 29 inch Atomiswave beside a SNK candy 18. In numbers it might not look too much different but you can see in practicality it's vastly smaller.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsie1ue1xqrjqgTyL_0JZiFuG-7AQl0ypsm6CmMfv1MW2msBsA

And here's a 29 inch Astro City beside a 25 in SNK Neo Geo.

100_0759.jpg

All depends on the OPs space really. A cute is definitely not optimum when it comes to space versus screen size.

Couple that with the lack of comfort and the insane price and I reckon they're probably best avoided as a main cabinet.

Definitely do try and go as big as you can. If you've the room for an atomiswave/Astro then get one :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not sure what the opposite of devil's advocate is (:P) but the only thing you should go by is the numbers - they're the proper dimensions - not how something might look in a photo. The only real difference between the above pics is the cab height, the width and depth are pretty comparable. And the height isn't a factor unless you live in the Shire. :pac:

ondafly speaks the truth about the prices - you at least know the initial outlay of cab + shipping - but you most likely are going to spend more on top of that.

Actually, not sure if you mentioned - what are you going to use the cab for - pcb's or console play or both? There's obviously a cost there too.

It's a proper investment, but well worth it ofc. A cab is an amazing thing.

Master of the Universe

It depends what you've to deal with though :D

There's physical size and there's the perception of size.

If you're just dealing with squeezing a cab into a space then the size itself is all that matters.

If you've a wife who's going to say 'jesus, that thing's huge! get it out of my house!' or you want it to have a smaller visual impact in a room then perception of size comes into it. (which is what a photo representation will show you)

They're most definitely a big investment alright, mine still bring a smile to my face on a daily basis whenever I see them :)

Sounds to me like your minds made up anyway!
    so do it!
    More chance of me getting one eventually if theres one in Ireland!

Have you seen the mushiking cabs?
    PurpleC has one.
    Dont know if he posts here anymore tho.Maybe he'd sell it.
    I could email him for you?

o1s1n wrote: »
    Just to play devil's advocate (!)

No problem - I'll play Phoenix Wright

tumblr_inline_n4iv6t4Zx61qj0upm.gif

When I look at those pictures above in your post. My perception/perspective makes me think of wrist cramp (oh matron:o) and sore knees (oh no you didn't :o:o)

I can't see how you could have a comfortable 2 player game of Street Fighter on them and lets be honest here, the purpose of a Jamma Cabinet is for it to function for lots of differing types & styles of games and if its your first cabinet, you'll certainly want to try out everything on it.

I always think the bigger the screen the more enjoyable the experience is. Hell I want to see my scanlines while I still have eyesight and I think the smaller the monitor the less chance you have of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

It depends what you've to deal with though :D

There's physical size and there's the perception of size.

If you're just dealing with squeezing a cab into a space then the size itself is all that matters.

If you've a wife who's going to say 'jesus, that thing's huge! get it out of my house!' or you want it to have a smaller visual impact in a room then perception of size comes into it. (which is what a photo representation will show you)

They're most definitely a big investment alright, mine still bring a smile to my face on a daily basis whenever I see them :)

I always see that as a confidence booster :D

Master of the Universe

18 in monitor cabs must be extremely cramped for 2 player games alright. But 25s are actually okay.

If you look at AWSDs and Astro CPs, a lot of it is actually taken up with move strip space.

Wrist space is pretty much the distance from the edge of the bottom buttons to the edge of the CP.

If you look at the Astro beside the SNK cab in the above photos, the SNK cab actually had a tiny bit more wrist space believe it or not! :D (Although it does have a couple less buttons)

Lateral space really is the big selling point of 29 inch cabs. They're so roomy!

25 is a bit smaller, but it's not cramped and is still fairly comfortable. I played a good solid 3 hours of 2 player Samurai Showdown and The Last Blade with a mate last weekend and there was zero awkward touching :D

Only thing I had a cramp from was those Japanese stools! I love them but they really have me considering getting something with a back on them.

• Advertisement

If you've a wife who's going to say 'jesus, that thing's huge! get it out of my house!'

I can't imagine what it must be like for someone to be ruled by their misses, thankfully. :pac:

Anyway, whatever price you can afford or size you can accommodate, go for it I say. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

The first thread with candy talk in a while and we have 60 posts racked up already!

Master of the Universe

The sheer enthusiasm at the thought of another one coming into the country :D

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭paul79

I stopped getting emails letting me know of replies to the thread,logged on to have a look and there's been lots.
    I have to say I like the look of the cute but practicality of two player on it is in question,I would initially be using it for jamma pcb maybe an xxx in 1 before getting the orginals I like whats prices of them like at the minute sf 2/3 etc?
    As for the size thing I think the cute would be less imposing in the room than an blast egret etc and to wife/girlfriends size is key!

Master of the Universe

Regarding PCB pricing, I've found the average seems to be around the €70 mark across the board.

You'll get some good deals far under that (especially with MVS carts) and some other boards will cost you many times that, but if you get into broad PCB collecting (and aren't just focusing on one thing, like shmups!) that's about what you'll be paying the majority of the time.

IMG_20140425_125227.jpg

IMG_20140425_124306.jpg

IMG_20140425_112034.jpg

I'd get him to tate it and take some pis or use a tate game to demo the screen ,
    Does it look like major convergence in the top left?
    where it says lv1?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

You can see a bit in the test grid in that spot alright. (Bottom left)

With a monitor of this vintage you'll be hard pressed getting perfection unfortunately.

IMG_20140424_165019.jpg

Yeah. I would say that 3 out of 4 corners looking ok is good for a 15k image. Is this a Ronnie cab?
    Sorry if this was referenced earlier.

No its not one of Ronnie's he will have some in the next few weeks 1750+shipping.
    so considering age of cab etc monitor is in good nick?

I'd get him to tate it and take some pis or use a tate game to demo the screen ,
    Does it look like major convergence in the top left?
    where it says lv1?[/quote]

Go easy with the lingo im new here lol
    tate game? enlighten me please

Master of the Universe

The monitor is currently vertical. 'Tate' is short for 'rotate' - as in move it to a horizontal position. :)

• Advertisement

The monitor is currently vertical. 'Tate' is short for 'rotate' - as in move it to a horizontal position. :)

Ah simple when you know

not quite

Tate: Viewing mode available in some vertscrollers which displays the playing field at full size, rotated 90 degrees to the right. Designed to be used on certain monitors which can be turned on their sides, so as to display the game on a vertically-oriented manner similar to an arcade monitor. The preferred screen format of most shmup players, but it cannot be used on most televisions, since turning standard sets on their sides can break them. Can be used as a verb, as in “I tated my monitor to play this game.” Also presented as “Arcade Mode” or “Full-Screen Mode.”

”Tate” is a shortened form of the Japanese verb “tateru,” which means “to stand.” Pronounced “tah-teh,” though the common mispronunciation of “tayte” has gained semi-acceptance. Also commonly spelled with all capital letters (“TATE”), though it is not an acronym.

Yoko: (also Widescreen) Refers to the default viewing mode of certain vertscrollers, which are intended to be displayed on a horizontal screen, and whose playfield, as a result, is fully viewable without the use of TATE mode. Sometimes also called “4:3” shmups, since a horizontal screen’s area is based on a ratio of 4 (width) to 3 (height), as opposed to the “3:4” ratio of vertical screens.

The word “yoko” comes from a Japanese adjective which means “horizontal.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Can't the convergance be sorted out with a Stanley blade and some insulation tape?

Master of the Universe

ondafly wrote: »
    not quite

Tate: Viewing mode available in some vertscrollers which displays the playing field at full size, rotated 90 degrees to the right. Designed to be used on certain monitors which can be turned on their sides, so as to display the game on a vertically-oriented manner similar to an arcade monitor. The preferred screen format of most shmup players, but it cannot be used on most televisions, since turning standard sets on their sides can break them. Can be used as a verb, as in “I tated my monitor to play this game.” Also presented as “Arcade Mode” or “Full-Screen Mode.”

”Tate” is a shortened form of the Japanese verb “tateru,” which means “to stand.” Pronounced “tah-teh,” though the common mispronunciation of “tayte” has gained semi-acceptance. Also commonly spelled with all capital letters (“TATE”), though it is not an acronym.

Yoko: (also Widescreen) Refers to the default viewing mode of certain vertscrollers, which are intended to be displayed on a horizontal screen, and whose playfield, as a result, is fully viewable without the use of TATE mode. Sometimes also called “4:3” shmups, since a horizontal screen’s area is based on a ratio of 4 (width) to 3 (height), as opposed to the “3:4” ratio of vertical screens.

The word “yoko” comes from a Japanese adjective which means “horizontal.”

Indeed, but I meant in the context of Urbanlege's post, in which he used 'tate' as an abbreviation of the english word 'rotate' :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Indeed, but I meant in the context of Urbanlege's post, in which he used 'tate' as an abbreviation of the english word 'rotate' :D

Can't the convergance be sorted out with a Stanley blade and some insulation tape?

Interestingly I'm planning on trying the very same thing tonight my cab has I've a nasty curl in the bottom left of my monitor too.

Will give an update if successful!

IMAG0021_zpse4hdwaem.jpg

Nasty curl bottom left, in the above pic??

Andrew76 wrote: »

Yup. Well nasty to my eye. Doesn't look too bad there as I have the right hand side extended off screen!

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »

Thought I was going blind too!

Remember lads, you dont need to strive for 100% perfection. Crts, especially big, flat trinitron ones are prone to having some curl on edges.

I wouldnt go messing with convergence rings unless it was causing fairly noticable picture issues.

urbanledge wrote: »
    Sounds to me like your minds made up anyway!
    so do it!
    More chance of me getting one eventually if theres one in Ireland!

Have you seen the mushiking cabs?
    PurpleC has one.
    Dont know if he posts here anymore tho.Maybe he'd sell it.
    I could email him for you?

What are the mushiking cabs?
    Interesting

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

They're dedicated mini cabs for the game Mushi King.

Some people have converted them to jamma for a tiny cab. They used to be a really cheap way of getting a mini cab but have been creeping up in value the last while.

mushisml.JPG

Here's by far the nicest one out there, converted to a dedicated Ghoul's n Ghosts cab.

(actually this is a Dinoking and not a Mushi king, different game. Same cab though)

Before

dinoconv02.jpg

After

dinoconv37.jpg

Thread about it here

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24770&sid=4f694f13df8966efd54de5d4c79ad972

That ghouls n ghosts cab is eye candy amazing

Thought I was going blind too!

Remember lads, you dont need to strive for 100% perfection. Crts, especially big, flat trinitron ones are prone to having some curl on edges.

I wouldnt go messing with convergence rings unless it was causing fairly noticable picture issues.

Won't be going near the rings. Just trying to see if I can get some improvement with a convergence strip!

paul79 wrote: »
    That ghouls n ghosts cab is eye candy amazing

Stunning isn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

paul79 , I answered you on Nozomi as I totally missed this topic !

Cute looks in pretty good nick I must say with the side art still intact and all the original stickers there, the damage on the CP surround is normal and expected and mine was about the same and a little respray fixed that .
    The CP art and sticker between the speakers look the original rough vinyl so no respray there and the test pattern looks good enough to me .

For the money they demand these days there are nicer and more practical cabs is basically what I advised him on Nozomi, that doesn't seem to stop a lot of people still buying them though .
    They sell in a minute on A.O. even at those prices .

Won't be going near the ring

That's what she said..........

Casey120 wrote: »
    paul79 , I answered you on Nozomi as I totally missed this topic !

Cute looks in pretty good nick I must say with the side art still intact and all the original stickers there, the damage on the CP surround is normal and expected and mine was about the same and a little respray fixed that .
    The CP art and sticker between the speakers look the original rough vinyl so no respray there and the test pattern looks good enough to me .

For the money they demand these days there are nicer and more practical cabs is basically what I advised him on Nozomi, that doesn't seem to stop a lot of people still buying them though .
    They sell in a minute on A.O. even at those prices .

Just seen and replied to you on nozomi thanks for replying man sent your a reply over there before I seen your post here

So you buying or what?

Master of the Universe

Where's the Cute?! I was promised pictures of a Cute! :D

• Advertisement

I've had a good think about and decided...............

Ireland deserves a new candy payment sent this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Que "I want candy"

Nice one! Can't wait to see some pictures

Savage,
    congrats!

Will get pics as soon as it lands got the guy to include a stepdown transformer and possibly street fighter alpha with the cab.

Do monitors in genereal give much trouble is it advisable to try source a spare?

urbanledge wrote: »
    Savage,
    congrats!

Cheers man looking forward to getting my hands on it
    I sent you a few pics with the monitor tated you get them?

• Advertisement

Oh yea I got them,
    Totally forgot.I've been so busy lately with the DK,Pinball and some other stuff.
    Sure might as well wait till you have it now and post your own pics!
    Whats the ETA?

Eta one week when collected from him so end of next week i would hope
    Game-trader.de anyone use him before?

Master of the Universe

Excellent! Congrats!

Sourcing a spare monitor for that will be tough. If anything goes wrong, it'll probably be the chassis - and that can be repaired in most cases.

If you do come across a spare though it wouldn't hurt to pick it up. Would be small too so easy to store.

Excellent! Congrats!

Sourcing a spare monitor for that will be tough. If anything goes wrong, it'll probably be the chassis - and that can be repaired in most cases.

If you do come across a spare though it wouldn't hurt to pick it up. Would be small too so easy to store.

Keep an eye out for any spares monitor or chassis for me guys please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

There are two different chassis/ monitors used in the Cute, all Nanao and Sanwa with toshiba tube .
    The Nanao chassis is common on YHJ but the Sanwa is rare .
    Of course I didn't knew this and grabbed two Nanao's only to find out later I needed Sanwa and tubes are only interchangeable if you also have the right Yoke :mad:

Then I found Cools on A.O. had a Nanao monitor and a spare Sanwa chassis with Yoke so I traded both Nanao chassis for his Sanwa / Yoke :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement