Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Posters Celbridge

Options
  • 24-04-2014 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

I see that they have posters up on lamp posts with overhead power lines all along the dublin and maynooth road. This goes against the guidelines (and law?) for placements.

Who is best to complain to? ESB, Kiladare CoCo and the candidates?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

mloc123 wrote: »
    I see that they have posters up on lamp posts with overhead power lines all along the dublin and maynooth road. This goes against the guidelines (and law?) for placements.

Who is best to complain to? ESB, Kiladare CoCo and the candidates?

ESB for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

What is the law regarding these posters can anyone provide an overview or a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Road Safety Law

Q. Where can posters be erected so they do not cause a disruption to road users?

A. The Road Traffic Acts contain requirements in relation to maintaining clear lines of sight for road users which may impact on where posters can be placed, e.g. not on road signs, at traffic junctions or on roundabouts where they may cause road safety risks. It is an offence to erect any sign or notice that makes a traffic sign less visible to road users (Road Traffic Act 1961, Section 95, Subsection 14). Those erecting posters should exercise extreme caution when on or near roadways and should be aware of their own and other road users physical safety, e.g. crossing busy roads, obstructing footpaths, parking of vehicles etc. For more information, check with the Roads section of your local authority.

There are a fair few in breach of this law and should be enforced by the Gardai.

The authorities tend to turn a blind eye to posters at election time so as not to upset the political parties.

There are more regulations re. power lines etc. but I don't have a link.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Waste/LitterPollution/ElectionPosters/

-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

What is the law regarding these posters can anyone provide an overview or a link?

I honestly think that they should be banned. In their place, similar to the referendum commission leaflet, everyone should get 1 document with a page dedicated to each candidate giving them a page to say whatever they want.

That way, there are no ugly posters, no posters that are airbrushed, no knocking on doors, no sitting up the front of Mass, we'd hopefully not see a candidate.

Sorry for anyone in the printing game but the whole thing smacks of dog eat dog politics and we should move on from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I've a 5 minute cycle to work, and the amount of posters on the way is disgraceful. The fact that multiple versions for the same candidates is ridiculous. For one thing, it's a waste of money since it's unnecessary because of the fact that whatever direction you're travelling, you'll see these a few times. Then there are the aesthetic and environmental objections. It's not as if they tell you anything about them, apart from giving name recognition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

These posters are driving me mad, there's so many of them. It makes the place look so ugly.
    Had 2 people try call to the house, but for some reason I didn't feel like answering door to them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    These posters are driving me mad, there's so many of them.

Frank O’Rourke has an enormous amount of posters & bill boards. Everywhere I look - there's his mush. It's overkill ...

Advertisement