Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GameStop Closing 120 Stores Globally, Focusing on Mobile

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

At the same time, GameStop will close between 120 and 130 of its nearly 6,500 global brick-and-mortar locations.

Id imagine these will be from poor selling regions; Gamestop seems to do well here so id be surprised if theres any more than one or two Irish stores closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ah, but closing 120 out of 6,500 stores globally. I can't see many, if any, closing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its a 2% cut. For what is essentially a failing business model, its bang on. Over the next 10 years expect to see many other announcements like this coupled with "new ideas".

The 3.0 announcement is an attempt to try limit the shareprice tank. Any idiot with half a brain will realize that you can't cut into a established and locked down environment like Apple or Android mobile stores. The console market is undercutting them with their own digital stores and the pc games market is long out of their reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I still dont understand what they mean by mobile. I understand going online shop way, but mobile? eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Maybe a lack of a better word?

'Gamestop Closing 120 stores, Focusing on Profit'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I still dont understand what they mean by mobile. I understand going online shop way, but mobile? eh?

Has to be mobile devices and the things that go with it, they mention ipads etc. in the article , apple would be the more profitable of the mobile platforms I'd say at a guess with out figures to back that wild assumption up, if they did mean traditional online shops they would fail over night unless they lowered their prices by at least 20%

As said doubt this will have much impact over here as they really are the only game in town in many places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Apple is the least profitable in terms of margins. Some places actually lose money for every piece of Apple hardware sold, but make it back on huge markups on accessories

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Why would anyone buy mobile games from Gamestop over the Play store or iTunes (is iTunes where you buy games on Apple devices?)? Seems like an odd choice. Fair enough if they were focusing on digital distribution or somthing like that, but mobile seems like an odd place to focus.

2nd hand mobile games...we all know that's what they're thinking :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

well we have wanted to be able to sell our digital licences. They getting out ahead of the game?

Advertisement