Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else fed up with being single right now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

discus wrote: »
    That's pretty awful, surely it wasn't long term?

good few months. No argument or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭chrisb1

His loss will be somones gain i'm sure :)

chrisb1 wrote: »
    His loss will be somones gain i'm sure :)

wish i could believe it. It must be me. I can't possibly be this unlucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

I thought i had a boyfriend recently until contact just stopped with no explanation. At this rate i'm seriously thinking of joining the nuns......

Sorry to hear that, that's frustrating. But if he doesn't have the decency to explain himself then he wasn't worth your time. It sucks but some people are like that.
    No need to join the nuns though, I've heard they don't have much craic going on, it's not all like the Sister act, don't let the TV to fool you!!

wish i could believe it. It must be me. I can't possibly be this unlucky

Maybe you were lucky instead of unlucky

chrisb1 wrote: »
    Maybe you were lucky instead of unlucky

i meant in my search for someone. I always seem to pick the ones who put on an act for the first few months and then the true colours come out. Wondering if its something wrong with me by now. Depressing as hell.

Sorry i picked that up wrong..

No need to get down over it plenty more out there since your now single it's seems only right to mingle again who knows maybe the next one is mr right instead of mr right now.

Have faith.

Btw if anyone knows any way of meeting nice guys in Cork city, can they let me know

discus wrote: »
    I swear I'm a great guide. "And here is the local glasgwegian homeless man, begging outside the native Poundland..."

How poetic! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

guitarzero wrote: »
    Irish women, whether it's the fact that they think they can swing Ryan Goslin if they wanted to or are entitled to a Ryan Goslin, they shoot blokes down in semi-automatic fashion.

Oh, FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Oh, FFS.

Ha ha I'm screwed so cos he wouldn't do anything for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I had a guy do that on me.... Had to see him at a mutual friends wedding about a year and a half ago. Don't think some guys realise what kind of effect it can have...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

It's not an exclusively male thing, it's a people thing.

I had a guy do that on me.... Had to see him at a mutual friends wedding about a year and a half ago. Don't think some guys realise what kind of effect it can have...

Few guys have done this to me but we were only on a couple of dates. It took me a while to realize that that's a normal thing to do and I wasn't sure that time if it's just an Irish thing or not. It's like they don't have the balls to say 'sorry I don't think this is for me'. I've no problem with this, I'm not some psycho stalker who would chase after them and I much prefer honesty than being completely blanked.
    I can't imagine going out with someone for months though and him just vanish like this. That's just disgraceful.

Edit: as discus said though its not exclusively a male thing as I was told later by my male friends.
    We're not really helping to ourselves with such behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Ladies,

Your comments make interesting reading. As a recently married guy, here's a few observations that I'll share. I hope it makes you think about your status and evaluate what is really best for you.

Most people I know who are married are not happy. They are not completely miserable either but given the choice they'd probably take their old life back. They'd never admit to it but prefer to put on a happy families face in public. You wouldn't believe half the **** that goes on in private. I say this having rented rooms in my house to couples and growing up in a home where both parents weren't afraid tbe open about their feelings in front of their kids.

I find that women are impressed by what they hear, men by what they see.

Men are animals. We'll get up on anything going. Sorry to be so coarse.

Plenty of women drop Mr Right in the hope of finding Mr Perfect. Not going to happen I'm afraid.

Society sometimes makes us feel that we must settle down, get married and maybe have kids. Nobody should feel like they have to do this. Don't do it unless it makes you feel happy. And remember, it's a hell of a lot of work for little reward in some cases.

Love conquers all? Well it doesn't. Not even close.

So look before you leap ladies. Affairs of the heart should not be allowed mess up your head. Your single status probably gives you opportunities for happiness that cannot be found in a relationship, unless you like compromise of course.

• Advertisement

Btw if anyone knows any way of meeting nice guys in Cork city, can they let me know

Reardens!

Muwahahahhaha

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭rule supreme

I think most single people get fed up being single at times .For me its when my friends and family are busy and i would like to go to a match or for a drink or horseracing especially when its nice out .I do go by myself sometimes but just not the same .

Reardens!

Muwahahahhaha

jeez! Thank feck yer joking! Far too early for those kinda flash backs

I think most single people get fed up being single at times .For me its when my friends and family are busy and i would like to go to a match or for a drink or horseracing especially when its nice out .I do go by myself sometimes but just not the same .

thats me for next Saturday. Got something to go to in portlaoise. None of my friends or family can/will go. Now i kinda know some people there but its not the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Thread moved to Ladies Lounge :pac:

• Advertisement

thats me for next Saturday. Got something to go to in portlaoise. None of my friends or family can/will go. Now i kinda know some people there but its not the same.

Missy is up that neck of the woods :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Ok here is a rundown of what I think of relationships and his generation of Irish people.

I think a lot of men and women grow up seeing their parents stuck in a marriage of convenience not really treating each other right.

I am lucky my parents are decent but they have issues ..my dad had a very tough childhood and an impoverished one ..and we did not have a lot of money when I was a toddler he had to work every which way to become a success. My mother took a financial step down in marrying him ...in her families eyes anyway. But she thought he was a good sort. He had issues with alcohol for a while. But what they have taught me is that character is everything. You need to be a positive aspect in someones life. And vica versa. More important than the career you choose is the partner you choose. It does not matter how great everything else is if you are burdened with a messy personal life or a partner who is a gob****e you will find life very tough.

Many people don't have a great template on which to base relationships. This equality era has made men feel women must pay up half and they feel women don't. Women feel guys must invest equal emotional and domestic support and feel they don't. Each gender feels other half wants it both ways.

And frankly a lot of my generation has a shallow sense of entitlement and values and unrealistic expectations. Men expect a sexual paradise and women prince charming. Neither is even close to reality.

Generally people do not try to empathize or see the others point of view. They don't consider the needs of the other equally. If you want anything to work you need to consider the needs of the other 50% and they need to do the same for you. What are their concerns needs etc.

I have noticed most relationships are one asshole and one nice person. Two assholes would never put up with one another.

This generations seem to think the other (whether it be men or women) should do all the work. And some are seriously lacking normal social skills and emotional development.

Relationship columns and whatever that stuff would have no market if people were not stupid. The fact that it is there is a sign that there are a lot of people living in a fantasy land.

People look at images of other or sex and the city or rock stars and think their life must be amazing etc. But it's all a product. The image of a stepford wife or a new man or an old man or the russian bride or whatever it is a product it's a trope.

Think of the LGBT campaign for marriage rights...it's not about the fluff ...it is simply a legal contract to raise kids and help sort out a will and who makes the decisions in terms of death etc etc. It's not terribly glamorous. It is to protect the ones you love. To make sure your children are raised by your partner etc. It is definitely not for everyone.

I think a lot of people end up trying to manipulate others who want something different from them into trying to give them what they want without considering how that effects the other person emotionally.

Whether it is women chasing guys when they know they really want a one nightie and are trying to 'hook' them or guys who are only looking for a one nightie and know the girl will be hurt because she wants more in life. Instead of just respecting peoples choices they compromise their own values and turn dating and themselves into something toxic and deeply unattractive.

Different people want different things being able to understand this is the first part of learning about relationships. Knowing what the other wants and needs and are they comparable with yours.

No guy is going to give you a drawer in his locker because you made his dick go wow for a couple of months and you shouldn't want him to. A guy will invite you into his life if he loves you. And if he doesn't then find someone who sees you. You are not a seductress we are all just average humans. Vice versa, No girl is going to throw her body at you three times a week just because you're 'super fly'. Both parties are pretty horrible people. And if people keep going down their path they are going to mess up every relationship they ever have because they don't have the first clue about people. And they don't have a clue how to care about others. They are encouraging the contempt of the nice guy and the nice girl.

Be honest state your needs. And allow that person to leave if they need to. People who play silly games win silly prizes. You cannot con an honest person. A real nice guy /girl is not going to be impressed.

And it's not a gender thing at all. A lot of 20-30 yr olds are self serving and are hustling in life. That is great in some areas of life. But not in relationships. And they don't take responsibility for their actions and the effects they have.

And now to end on a positive note. I have had many a night in Dublin, dancing in a club where every girl was polite and every guy equally polite. A guy stood on my toe and turned round to apologize right away. You have several great chats with total strangers. You make new friends and the music for one is not ****e.And everyone just wants to get along and be nice.

Virtue and softness and being nice has long been mocked and disparaged in Irish society recently. But I think it's gonna make a come back!

Lou.m wrote: »
    Ok here is a rundown of what I think of relationships and his generation of Irish people.

I think a lot of men and women grow up seeing their parents stuck in a marriage of convenience not really treating each other right.

I am lucky my parents are decent but they have issues ..my dad had a very tough childhood and an impoverished one ..and we did not have a lot of money when I was a toddler he had to work every which way to become a success. My mother took a financial step down in marrying him ...in her families eyes anyway. But she thought he was a good sort. He had issues with alcohol for a while. But what they have taught me is that character is everything. You need to be a positive aspect in someones life. And vica versa. More important than the career you choose is the partner you choose. It does not matter how great everything else is if you are burdened with a messy personal life or a partner who is a gob****e you will find life very tough.

Many people don't have a great template on which to base relationships. This equality era has made men feel women must pay up half and they feel women don't. Women feel guys must invest equal emotional and domestic support and feel they don't. Each gender feels other half wants it both ways.

And frankly a lot of my generation has a shallow sense of entitlement and values and unrealistic expectations. Men expect a sexual paradise and women prince charming. Neither is even close to reality.

Generally people do not try to empathize or see the others point of view. They don't consider the needs of the other equally. If you want anything to work you need to consider the needs of the other 50% and they need to do the same for you. What are their concerns needs etc.

I have noticed most relationships are one asshole and one nice person. Two assholes would never put up with one another.

This generations seem to think the other (whether it be men or women) should do all the work. And some are seriously lacking normal social skills and emotional development.

Relationship columns and whatever that stuff would have no market if people were not stupid. The fact that it is there is a sign that there are a lot of people living in a fantasy land.

People look at images of other or sex and the city or rock stars and think their life must be amazing etc. But it's all a product. The image of a stepford wife or a new man or an old man or the russian bride or whatever it is a product it's a trope.

Think of the LGBT campaign for marriage rights...it's not about the fluff ...it is simply a legal contract to raise kids and help sort out a will and who makes the decisions in terms of death etc etc. It's not terribly glamorous. It is to protect the ones you love. To make sure your children are raised by your partner etc. It is definitely not for everyone.

I think a lot of people end up trying to manipulate others who want something different from them into trying to give them what they want without considering how that effects the other person emotionally.

Whether it is women chasing guys when they know they really want a one nightie and are trying to 'hook' them or guys who are only looking for a one nightie and know the girl will be hurt because she wants more in life. Instead of just respecting peoples choices they compromise their own values and turn dating and themselves into something toxic and deeply unattractive.

Different people want different things being able to understand this is the first part of learning about relationships. Knowing what the other wants and needs and are they comparable with yours.

No guy is going to give you a drawer in his locker because you made his dick go wow for a couple of months and you shouldn't want him to. A guy will invite you into his life if he loves you. And if he doesn't then find someone who sees you. You are not a seductress we are all just average humans. Vice versa, No girl is going to throw her body at you three times a week just because you're 'super fly'. Both parties are pretty horrible people. And if people keep going down their path they are going to mess up every relationship they ever have because they don't have the first clue about people. And they don't have a clue how to care about others. They are encouraging the contempt of the nice guy and the nice girl.

Be honest state your needs. And allow that person to leave if they need to. People who play silly games win silly prizes. You cannot con an honest person. A real nice guy /girl is not going to be impressed.

And it's not a gender thing at all. A lot of 20-30 yr olds are self serving and are hustling in life. That is great in some areas of life. But not in relationships. And they don't take responsibility for their actions and the effects they have.

And now to end on a positive note. I have had many a night in Dublin, dancing in a club where every girl was polite and every guy equally polite. A guy stood on my toe and turned round to apologize right away. You have several great chats with total strangers. You make new friends and the music for one is not ****e.And everyone just wants to get along and be nice.

Virtue and softness and being nice has long been mocked and disparaged in Irish society recently. But I think it's gonna make a come back!

That is a very interesting take and well thought out. i've always been the sort thats been honest, and generous, and i will support my other half (when i have one) through anything. but i get treated badly for it. And i know some of my male friends get the same when they're dating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Tbh I disagree with a lot of that. I'm sure it's true in some cases, but by jaysus does it make generalisations about both genders.

I don't expect prince charming, or someone who will fulfill all of my emotional needs. And saying women won't give men the ride regularly purely based on him being hot - most of my friends do exactly that. Casual, fun sex.

No man I've been with has expected me to be a 'seductress.' they are mature enough to realise I'm a normal, average person.

Most of the things described apply to gob****es and immature people, not people of our generation. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

That is a very interesting take and well thought out. i've always been the sort thats been honest, and generous, and i will support my other half (when i have one) through anything. but i get treated badly for it. And i know some of my male friends get the same when they're dating.

I believe you. Women and women are in the same boat. When they are honorable and respectful they get either totally ignored or used.

There is a school of thought that says when presented with the opportunity to get away with something humans will try. Therefore when presented with a nice person a normal person becomes a user. I refuse to believe this. I think people use it as an excuse sometime to become the asshole. I have noticed both female and male friends personalities change with different partners. With a less demanding partner they become the ass and with someone who is the ass they become weak willed doormats. I think such people have a very bad sense of self and who they are. They lack character.

But the truth is they CHOSE that person. Why? If you are with someone without a nice personality then there is obviously a shallow reason. And if you stay with someone for shallow reasons long term well then you have been corrupted yourself. I think we all have asshole days or even weeks. We can all be cranky during hardtimes. And it is then you need to support that partner. But a persons overall personality should be kind as well as you are attracted to them if you have chosen them for valid reasons. I think if you are attracted to trash there is a less than virtuous reason.

I know of some people who have been in a long term relationship and the person changes etc over time. I was in an abusive relationship where the guy was fine ..mr nice for about 6 months ...then a combination of drugs and nastiness turned it into a violent nightmare. When I left him I said right Lou you get one mistake now you will never make that again. Nasty men and women are very manipulative. Whether the abuser (emotional or physical) is male or female people need to just leave manipulative or abusive people alone. You can't help them. People show you with who they are rather than you trying to weedle it out. When you are young I think you can be excused such mistakes. But people in their late 20's turning out all their efforts for assholes who have no values and barely bothering for decent people is really kick them in the teeth. I left that bastard and now I never have to go through that again WOOHOO :)

Livemusic4life are you male or female yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I'll go to the races with ya. None of my friends are into it :D

I believe you. Women and women are in the same boat. When they are honorable and respectful they get either totally ignored or used.

There is a school of thought that says when presented with the opportunity to get away with something humans will try. Therefore when presented with a nice person a normal person becomes a user. I refuse to believe this. I think people use it as an excuse sometime to become the asshole. I have noticed both female and male friends personalities change with different partners. With a less demanding partner they become the ass and with someone who is the ass they become weak willed doormats. I think such people have a very bad sense of self and who they are. They lack character.

But the truth is they CHOSE that person. Why? If you are with someone without a nice personality then there is obviously a shallow reason. And if you stay with someone for shallow reasons long term well then you have been corrupted yourself. I think we all have asshole days or even weeks. We can all be cranky during hardtimes. And it is then you need to support that partner. But a persons overall personality should be kind as well as you are attracted to them if you have chosen them for valid reasons. I think if you are attracted to trash there is a less than virtuous reason.

I know of some people who have been in a long term relationship and the person changes etc over time. I was in an abusive relationship where the guy was fine ..mr nice for about 6 months ...then a combination of drugs and nastiness turned it into a violent nightmare. When I left him I said right Lou you get one mistake now you will never make that again. Nasty men and women are very manipulative. Whether the abuser (emotional or physical) is male or female people need to just leave manipulative or abusive people alone. You can't help them. People show you with who they are rather than you trying to weedle it out. When you are young I think you can be excused such mistakes. But people in their late 20's turning out all their efforts for assholes who have no values and barely bothering for decent people is really kick them in the teeth. I left that bastard and now I never have to go through that again WOOHOO :)

Livemusic4life are you male or female yourself?

I'm female. When i broke up with my boyfriend before last. a friend of mine sent me a link to an article about "gaslighting" and how its used intentionally or not to manipulate the other person in a relationship. My eyes opened up wide and i was recounting all the times that it happened through the relationship and indeed past relationships. And to be honest. i felt like a fool. Now i'm less likely to put up with behaviour that i find inappropriate - but as you say, sometimes it takes a while for the true colours to come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I'm single now for over four years and I'm not fed up at all. I don't know anybody in my life outside of family that I would make serious compromises for. I've been in love and had my heart broken but when I meet these people now I realise I don't want them any more. I can remember the good and the bad and criticise my own behaviour as much as theirs, but in the end when push came to shove they weren't there for me. I am happier now that I'm not emotionally manipulated and constantly distracted by somebody I belong too. I would like to have kids someday, but I am beginning to doubt if this will ever happen.

I don't agree with everything said in the latest posts, especially the generalisations but it makes for an interesting read, gotta love lazy Sundays :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Hmmm.. The opposite really, I'm not single but sometimes I wish I was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ladies,

Your comments make interesting reading. As a recently married guy, here's a few observations that I'll share. I hope it makes you think about your status and evaluate what is really best for you.

Most people I know who are married are not happy. They are not completely miserable either but given the choice they'd probably take their old life back. They'd never admit to it but prefer to put on a happy families face in public. You wouldn't believe half the **** that goes on in private. I say this having rented rooms in my house to couples and growing up in a home where both parents weren't afraid tbe open about their feelings in front of their kids.

Men are animals we'll get up on anything going. Sorry to be so coarse.

Plenty of women drop Mr Right in the hope of finding Mr Perfect. Not going to happen I'm afraid.

Society sometimes makes us feel that we must settle down, get married and maybe have kids. Nobody should feel like they have to do this. Don't do it unless it makes you feel happy. And remember, it's a hell of a lot of work for little reward in some cases.

So look before you leap ladies. Affairs of the heart should not be allowed mess up your head. Your single status probably gives you opportunities for happiness that cannot be found in a relationship, unless you like compromise of course.

Generalize much?

Not all of us "get up on anything going" !

Generalize much?

Yeah, I think I'm the opposite. Not forward enough because I don't want to come across as sleazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Ladies,

Damn, such a pity you're now off the market. Your wife must be so thrilled to be starting married life with someone she must be aware is only compromising themselves with her as the booby prize! :pac:

You say they'd never admit it in public? Mate, you just have!

Karsini wrote: »
    Yeah, I think I'm the opposite. Not forward enough because I don't want to come across as sleazy.

Plenty of women Karsini like a pervert, plenty of women like an introvert. There's as many of one as there is of the other. Putting yourself forward enough to find them can be difficult to do, but not impossible, and the rewards when you find someone you resonate with are immeasurable.

It sure as hell wasn't by chance I met a woman who's just as much an introverted pervert as I am, best of both worlds really :p

Generalize much?

I actually missed that line! :eek:

Time to get out of those jammies and check out them animals. Think I might pop into the zoo, I've always been fond of wolves and the big cats :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Ladies,

interesting...so you've cheated then?

interesting...so you've cheated then?

No, not on my wife.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Damn, such a pity you're now off the market. Your wife must be so thrilled to be starting married life with someone she must be aware is only compromising themselves with her as the booby prize! :pac:

You say they'd never admit it in public? Mate, you just have!

Most people I know who are married are not happy. Your corollary is based on guess work, just like mine. I just don't kid myself. I would never have married if I didn't think it wouldn't work out.

Generalize much?

Say that after a few pints. A standing c0ck has no conscience.

• Advertisement

I don't think we're talkin about marriage here yet :-)
    One step at a time lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

F*ck small steps. Marriage!? Run like hell!!

Say that after a few pints. A standing c0ck has no conscience.

Again, you can only speak for yourself on that score, unless you're a mind reader now?

You made some terrible generalisations based on nothing more than mere speculation, showed your own limited and biased perspective of relationships, and you didn't think people would challenge your opinion?

I don't particularly mind, this being the internet and all I'm not going to take your opinion seriously, but somebody will, so I think you'll agree its best to provide provide some balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

riveratom wrote: »
    This is mad as I was just about to post a thread on the exact same lines...

Absolutely impossible to find someone these days, have tried dating sites, dating events, I'm a confident, upbeat guy, good-looking and no problem asking girls out. Not into one-night stands, open to taking it easy at first and just seeing where things go. Just get nowhere, either there is no spark or one of us isn't feeling it. It's like I am just meant to be single.

It's actually at the point now where I am pretty much ready to just accept that I'm going to be single for the rest of my life. And funnily enough, I actually think I am ok with that!

I could almost have typed this word-for-word myself. Well, apart from the good-looking bit as that wouldn't be for me to say I suppose. I don't know.

The older I get, the more I think it's just the single life for me. The effort of trying to even get dates, never mind a relationship is fcuking horrendous.

I think that participating in this thread has knocked me down a little. :o I guess it's good to know that I'm not the only one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Drink Red Bull

I am fed up with being single also. It would be great to have that one person you can laugh with and share a connection. Instead of just running around hoping you'll find someone nice to speak with that night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I could almost have typed this word-for-word myself. Well, apart from the good-looking bit as that wouldn't be for me to say I suppose. I don't know.

The older I get, the more I think it's just the single life for me. The effort of trying to even get dates, never mind a relationship is fcuking horrendous.

The good looking part applies to you, too! I mean that in the most innocent, non-sexual way possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

well this is a fascinating thread, my single and not so singles online mates, ye rock :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

You will feel more like yourself again soon.

Sorry you are going through this. xx I hope you are ok.

Thanks Lou :)

It's easy to keep busy and not think of him during the day but night time my mind wanders to "what if..."

Waiting to hear back from some agencies I've applied to for working abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

The effort of trying to even get dates, never mind a relationship is fcuking horrendous.

It can't be quite that bad. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

bnagrrl wrote: »

It's easy to keep busy and not think of him during the day but night time my mind wanders to "what if..."

Give it more time and you'll even stop thinking about him at night. :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement