Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else fed up with being single right now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

The effort of trying to even get dates, never mind a relationship is fcuking horrendous.
    It can't be quite that bad. :eek:

I've had my fill of jumping through all the hoops these days to be quite honest. It gets much harder as you get older too.

I just prefer to do things I enjoy now, whether with friends or by myself, rather than the whole rigmarole of dating and 'trying to impress'.

Failure to meet - in my experience - women's impossible standards has worn me down. So, for the foreseeable future anyway, I can't be arsed.

Them's the breaks. Onwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

I've had my fill of jumping through all the hoops these days to be quite honest. It gets much harder as you get older too.

I just prefer to do things I enjoy now, whether with friends or by myself, rather than the whole rigmarole of dating and 'trying to impress'.

Failure to meet - in my experience - women's impossible standards has worn me down. So, for the foreseeable future anyway, I can't be arsed.

Our loss, I guess.

Another thing. The Friend Zone.

Fcuk. That. Shit.

Not for me, sistas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

Our loss, I guess.

certainly seems to be womankinds loss :(

certainly seems to be womankinds loss :(

That was what I meant. Not enough blood to the brain today, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭therealme

Another thing. The Friend Zone.

Fcuk. That. Shit.

Not for me, sistas!

That's something I just don't get about guys. I have house shared with a lot of guys through the years. All of them I became friends with tried it on at some stage, (1 did turn into a boyfriend but we both knew upon seeing each other the first time that something would happen between us ) but while the others were great guys....I didn't see them as anything other than friends I house shared with.

Why not be friends with a girl???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

Lou.m wrote: »
    Ok here is a rundown of what I think of relationships and his generation of Irish people.

I think a lot of men and women grow up seeing their parents stuck in a marriage of convenience not really treating each other right.

I am lucky my parents are decent but they have issues ..my dad had a very tough childhood and an impoverished one ..and we did not have a lot of money when I was a toddler he had to work every which way to become a success. My mother took a financial step down in marrying him ...in her families eyes anyway. But she thought he was a good sort. He had issues with alcohol for a while. But what they have taught me is that character is everything. You need to be a positive aspect in someones life. And vica versa. More important than the career you choose is the partner you choose. It does not matter how great everything else is if you are burdened with a messy personal life or a partner who is a gob****e you will find life very tough.

Many people don't have a great template on which to base relationships. This equality era has made men feel women must pay up half and they feel women don't. Women feel guys must invest equal emotional and domestic support and feel they don't. Each gender feels other half wants it both ways.

And frankly a lot of my generation has a shallow sense of entitlement and values and unrealistic expectations. Men expect a sexual paradise and women prince charming. Neither is even close to reality.

Generally people do not try to empathize or see the others point of view. They don't consider the needs of the other equally. If you want anything to work you need to consider the needs of the other 50% and they need to do the same for you. What are their concerns needs etc.

I have noticed most relationships are one asshole and one nice person. Two assholes would never put up with one another.

This generations seem to think the other (whether it be men or women) should do all the work. And some are seriously lacking normal social skills and emotional development.

Relationship columns and whatever that stuff would have no market if people were not stupid. The fact that it is there is a sign that there are a lot of people living in a fantasy land.

People look at images of other or sex and the city or rock stars and think their life must be amazing etc. But it's all a product. The image of a stepford wife or a new man or an old man or the russian bride or whatever it is a product it's a trope.

Think of the LGBT campaign for marriage rights...it's not about the fluff ...it is simply a legal contract to raise kids and help sort out a will and who makes the decisions in terms of death etc etc. It's not terribly glamorous. It is to protect the ones you love. To make sure your children are raised by your partner etc. It is definitely not for everyone.

I think a lot of people end up trying to manipulate others who want something different from them into trying to give them what they want without considering how that effects the other person emotionally.

Whether it is women chasing guys when they know they really want a one nightie and are trying to 'hook' them or guys who are only looking for a one nightie and know the girl will be hurt because she wants more in life. Instead of just respecting peoples choices they compromise their own values and turn dating and themselves into something toxic and deeply unattractive.

Different people want different things being able to understand this is the first part of learning about relationships. Knowing what the other wants and needs and are they comparable with yours.

No guy is going to give you a drawer in his locker because you made his dick go wow for a couple of months and you shouldn't want him to. A guy will invite you into his life if he loves you. And if he doesn't then find someone who sees you. You are not a seductress we are all just average humans. Vice versa, No girl is going to throw her body at you three times a week just because you're 'super fly'. Both parties are pretty horrible people. And if people keep going down their path they are going to mess up every relationship they ever have because they don't have the first clue about people. And they don't have a clue how to care about others. They are encouraging the contempt of the nice guy and the nice girl.

Be honest state your needs. And allow that person to leave if they need to. People who play silly games win silly prizes. You cannot con an honest person. A real nice guy /girl is not going to be impressed.

And it's not a gender thing at all. A lot of 20-30 yr olds are self serving and are hustling in life. That is great in some areas of life. But not in relationships. And they don't take responsibility for their actions and the effects they have.

And now to end on a positive note. I have had many a night in Dublin, dancing in a club where every girl was polite and every guy equally polite. A guy stood on my toe and turned round to apologize right away. You have several great chats with total strangers. You make new friends and the music for one is not ****e.And everyone just wants to get along and be nice.

Virtue and softness and being nice has long been mocked and disparaged in Irish society recently. But I think it's gonna make a come back!

Amazingly accurate post and I'm guilty of a few of those things myself.

therealme wrote: »

It is certainly the best way to becoming more then a friend. At least there is that chance. Some of my best boyfriends were friends first.

therealme wrote: »
    It is certainly the best way to becoming more then a friend. At least there is that chance. Some of my best boyfriends were friends first.

I hear ya, and get what you're both saying of course.

However, I have enough friends, and there comes a time when, in the words of Frank Sinatra, "It's All Or Nothing At All."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

guitarzero wrote: »
    Thread moved to Ladies Lounge :pac:

Thread flung back to AH. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭therealme

I see what you are saying but I never gave them the impression I wanted to be a one night stand/girlfriend.

I always thought they just wanted another notch on their bedpost. Maybe I was wrong...but I doubt it!!

I hear ya, and get what you're both saying of course.

However, I have enough friends, and there comes a time when, in the words of Frank Sinatra, "It's All Or Nothing At All."

Sounds like someone just needs a good ride. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Besonders

Your whole paradigm is destructive. Do not try impress women, it is usually a turn off. See if women can impress you, see if they meet your standards, don't worry about their standards. Be yourself, enjoy yourself and have fun, forget about impressing women.

There are plenty of men with "nothing going for them" who have more choice with women than they know what to do with. They have a quality in themselves that makes women say " there's something about him". Any man can have that effect. To start with let go of the paradigm which dictates you try to impress women.

Sounds like someone just needs a good ride. :p

Ain't that the truth, amiga. :D

But for now, a cup of tea and a tasty salted caramel cookie will have to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Besonders wrote: »
    Your whole paradigm is destructive. Do not try impress women, it is usually a turn off. See if women can impress you, see if they meet your standards, don't worry about their standards. Be yourself, enjoy yourself and have fun, forget about impressing women.

There are plenty of men with "nothing going for them" who have more choice with women than they know what to do with. They have a quality in themselves that makes women say " there's something about him". Any man can have that effect. To start with let go of the paradigm which dictates you try to impress women.

Exactly let them qualify themselves to you,best advice I was ever given

Ain't that the truth, amiga. :D

But for now, a cup of tea and a tasty salted caramel cookie will have to do!

What brand would those be? I've never had one of those myself and want to see if they can be found here.

What brand would those be? I've never had one of those myself and want to see if they can be found here.

Sainsbury's 'Taste the Difference' range. So unavailable in lovely Canada, I'm afraid.

Still, a bit of light relief from the singleton chat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

The best substitutes for cuddles and sex...delicious comfort food :D

Hear hear. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I dont need a boyfriend...I already have 2 very important men in my life

Ben and Jerry

Sainsbury's 'Taste the Difference' range. So unavailable in lovely Canada, I'm afraid.

Maybe I can get my friend in Galway to send me a pack. It's worth a shot. :)

HugsiePie wrote: »
    I dont need a boyfriend...I already have 2 very important men in my life

Ben and Jerry

I was about to post that!!

Also ....Kraft Dinner. A HUGE bowl of KD ....then ice cream. :D

Maybe I can get my friend in Galway to send me a pack. It's worth a shot. :)

You read my mind p.s. its amazing when you add proper marshmallows (princess/ pink and white variety/tesco brand) to this galaxy = happiness equation

Haha you typed 'galway' and I saw 'galaxy' lol

Good advice chief and I agree.

However the idea of "impressing" was deliberately put in inverted commas because I'm not normally a giver of too many fcuks - and modern dating shenanigans require a lot of effort for slight returns.

Although - just thinking out loud here - at some minor gut level everyone tries to make an impression of sorts, no?

I've pretty much been myself and set my own standards all my life but here I am. For the moment anyway. Who knows what's around the corner?

at some minor gut level everyone tries to make an impression of sorts, no?

Yes. It's human nature.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Besonders

Yes. It's human nature.

When there is a group of toddlers in a room do you try to impress them?

You can learn to just not care just as if it was toddlers you were interacting with.

You can learn to just not care just as if it was toddlers you were interacting with.

I love this analogy! I totally agree with it e.g. when I'm singing in front of most adults, I get nervous, care too much what they think and can't sing properly but when I sing in front of my nephews, I'm all natural and sing to my hearts content

When did I say that I try to impress anyone? Maybe in my younger years but I am too old for that crap now. All I want out of life is a good conversation now and then, keep my own set of teeth and be able to make it to the toilet on time. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

beks101 wrote: »

I found it pretty hard to meet someone decent in Ireland too, emigrated four years ago though. I love Irish men (ye're all great!) but just found the lack of a dating culture combined with drinking culture and sort of deathly fear that people have of "embarrassing themselves" socially meant that there's no real casual approach or opportunity to meet someone in the normal way that people do in other countries.

First thing I notice when I come back to Ireland for a visit is that people don't look at each other in the same way. Sounds mad, but sometimes I'll be walking down the street and notice people will intentionally avoid eye contact, look the other way if I see them looking, disengage. Whereas abroad it's different. People stare, smile, strike conversation etc.

We're great ones for the banter (arguably the best in the world) but I think there can be a real fear of intimacy/rejection amongst strangers which combined with the lack of dating culture, means the same confidence and ease of approach doesn't exist.

Incredible observation and I thought I was the only one noticed this.
    I always thought I was intimidating when I was younger and maybe putting people off, despite been as gregarious as hell. The whole eye contact thing is incredible isnightful, When I was in the USA people stare would everywhere and its not out of rudeness, it's genuine curiosity,

Even in tiny doctors waiting rooms in Ireland and the like, I'm often the person thinking "why the hell is nobody saying anything, this is unnecessarily tense".

Then I think "I better make this right" and I speak first, and then everybody starts talking almost without me (like a perpetual motion machine)

I remember at some age just losing all shame, with regards to social interactions. It's been for the better. I genuinely think been brought up on US media made me feel out of place in Ireland, left me disappointed with the social culture in this country, yet we're told "NO, NO we are the craic, this is the way everybody would want to strive to be" Full of crap, trying to convince ourselves of it.

I was about to post that!!

Also ....Kraft Dinner. A HUGE bowl of KD ....then ice cream. :D

I've not had the pleasure of a good old North American Kraft Dinner.

Anyway... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Adamantium wrote: »

Even in tiny doctors waiting rooms in Ireland and the like, I'm often the person thinking "why the hell is nobody saying anything, this is unnecessarily tense".

Then I think "I better make this right" and I speak first, and then everybody starts talking almost without me (like a perpetual motion machine)

You ever think maybe everybody else just wants a bit of peace? Like especially in a doc's waiting room. Who knows what's going through someone's mind.

And a super chatty person can really grate on people, especially at the 'wrong' time. I'm not saying you're that person, but most people will recognise who I'm talking about.

Also, in many other parts of the world, if you meet another lone person on a road or an empty street, nothing will be said. Whereas in Ireland it's almost guaranteed there will be some form of greeting exchanged.

I've not had the pleasure of a good old North American Kraft Dinner.

Anyway... :D

It's really good when you make it extra cheesy. And butter. Lots and lots of real butter. And cream.

Maybe it is a good thing I am single. I'd probably give a major heart attack to whomever I was going with just with my cooking. Haha.

I always thought I was intimidating when I was younger and maybe putting people off, despite been as gregarious as hell. The whole eye contact thing is incredible isnightful, When I was in the USA people stare would everywhere and its not out of rudeness, it's genuine curiosity,

I remember at some age just losing all shame, with regards to social interactions. It's been for the better. I genuinely think been brought up on US media made me feel out of place in Ireland, left me disappointed with the social culture in this country, yet we're told "NO, NO we are the craic, this is the way everybody would want to strive to be" Full of crap, trying to convince ourselves of it.

In the US & Canada, from my experience, many people are much more likely to be "loud" and "wacky" so that perhaps doesn't sit so well over here*.

Personally, self-conscious wackoids boil my piss, but that's neither here nor there, and far less anything to do with being single.

*Disclaimer: I don't want to generalise too much. I love you guys! (mostly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

So what's everybody's plans for the evening? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭chrisb1

deise08 wrote: »
    Reading this thread bored in work

Cooking for one!

Not quite evening here yet but I was going to wash up a load of dishes, have something to eat, probably watch a movie, have a cup of tea and probably play a little solitaire on the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Cry, and drink my bitter tears. :cool:

Never been involved in a comfortable silence? :pac:
    beks101 wrote: »
    First thing I notice when I come back to Ireland for a visit is that people don't look at each other in the same way. Sounds mad, but sometimes I'll be walking down the street and notice people will intentionally avoid eye contact, look the other way if I see them looking, disengage. Whereas abroad it's different. People stare, smile, strike conversation etc.

http://i.imgur.com/MbUiWJs.jpg

Sipping tea and eating Giant Buttons is all I'm up to now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

You ever think maybe everybody else just wants a bit of peace? Like especially in a doc's waiting room. Who knows what's going through someone's mind.

And a super chatty person can really grate on people, especially at the 'wrong' time. I'm not saying you're that person, but most people will recognise who I'm talking about.

Also, in many other parts of the world, if you meet another lone person on a road or an empty street, nothing will be said. Whereas in Ireland it's almost guaranteed there will be some form of greeting exchanged.

No but what was interesting was I had to keep up with the conversation when it started going, to the point were I wanted them to shut up eventually. Hell I probably wanted the comfort of someone to talk to the waiting room because I was/am nervous and scared.
    So many missed oppurtunities in life, by not going with your gut.

The best that have always been taken by gregarious but also been **** scared, that mixture at the same moment in time.

I have found it quite the opposite regarding people coming up to me iin other countries. I'be had people stop me grocery stores in the USA to talk about my "pimpin pair of work boots and where did et them" as he said. We talked for almost 5 minutes about Europe, Ireland and stuff. Lovely actually, stuff like used to happen on the subway almost everyday.

American clothes ado feel/look cheaper for some bizarre reason than anything east of the Atlantic Ocean. Its more skewed towards sports gear and ski clothes/coats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

What would people on here think about sending a Facebook message to a girl I met last August. I didn't get her number at the time , I thought I'd just meet her out again sometime but I never saw her since. I only recently came across her on Facebook and she's not friends with anyone I know, she works with my cousin. I wouldn't usually bother but I thought we kinda hit it off and she kinda stuck in me head. Any ideas what I should do:rolleyes:

No but what was interesting was I had to keep up with the conversation when it started going, to the point were I wanted them to shut up eventually. Hell I probably wanted the comfort of someone to talk to the waiting room because I was/am nervous and scared.
    So many missed oppurtunities in life, by not going with your gut.

The best that have always been taken by gregarious but also been **** scared, that mixture at the same moment in time.

I have found it quite the opposite regarding people coming up to me iin other countries. I'be had people stop me grocery stores in the USA to talk about my "pimpin pair of work boots and where did et them" as he said. We talked for almost 5 minutes about Europe, Ireland and stuff. Lovely actually, stuff like used to happen on the subway almost everyday.

I've a certain tshirt that someone got me as a gag gift and have had people in the street, pub and college in Ireland tell me they love it. Same thing happened when I was in an off-licence in Canada. Everywhere I've gone I've struck up conversations with people in pubs and bus stops (if I'm in the mood). I really don't see the big difference between different places, I think it comes down to the individual and some people can get a bit wrapped up/neurotic about the whole situation.

When it comes to asking someone on a date or whatever I think my fear of rejection is well-founded. Exactly 0 replies ever on online dating (my lack of confidence must really come across, since that's what women love :pac: ), never actually getting a "yes" when asking a girl out and never getting a positive reaction when making a first move is where my fear of rejection comes from. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I personally found Ireland the easiest place I've lived in long-term to meet men. Perhaps I was lucky in that I socialised in Dublin and not a small town where people are less likely to be acquainted with one another, so there the pool of men was bigger and the anonymity made it easier to "make a fool of yourself" and put yourself in the firing line for possible rejection . Even when I moved home temporarily for two periods of four months, I met "suitors" both times (one English and one Irish).

Madrid, although I haven't had problems myself (I really put it down to luck: being at the right place at the right time and I met both men in a place where Spanish men tend to go to meet foreign chicks), has been a nightmare for many good-looking, smart women I know and a few have even considered leaving the city completely because of it (and one already has). I expected people would be very open here to chatting up women but people seem to stick to their own groups, strangely.

I also found London a very difficult place to meet men during the period I was single and found less interaction there between strangers. I have female friends who had the same experience and they've all started with internet dating to meet someone. When I did meet someone, he was Irish and I did most of the approaching and "peacocking" that night, which I'd no problem with. Otherwise I found the whole experience to be quite cold and shallow. Again, it might've been the places I was socialising. Dunno.

People have obviously had different experiences to me and perhaps it's less about the place and more how I felt while living in Ireland; I was very much in my own territory and comfortable and knew the ways of Irish men and would naturally buzz off them easier than other nationalities and that probably showed in my actions. I think it was also the places I chose to socialise that tended not to be meat markety type places . I never experienced with any kind of regularity the experiences people outline on Boards where women shoot down men in a bitchy manner and men approach hammered barely able to string a sentence together. Even when I go home to visit now I find it easy to strike up a conversation with someone. It's something I miss, tbh.

Saying that, I didn't meet men in Ireland for anything serious and definitely met more messers there than anywhere tbh, so in terms of meeting someone for a relationship, maybe it wasn't that great, on second thoughts..

agriman27 wrote: »
    What would people on here think about sending a Facebook message to a girl I met last August. I didn't get her number at the time , I thought I'd just meet her out again sometime but I never saw her since. I only recently came across her on Facebook and she's not friends with anyone I know, she works with my cousin. I wouldn't usually bother but I thought we kinda hit it off and she kinda stuck in me head. Any ideas what I should do:rolleyes:

He who dares, bruvva.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

Batter away? What is the worst that could happen, she tells your cousin you're a weirdo for messaging her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Really? I can't say I've seen much of that anywhere tbh. Well except for the southern states in America where someone might say "mawnin sir," to a random passerby, while grabbing the tip of their hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Go for it :) If you don't you will always wonder what if..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Go for it agriman..
    If it were me, I'd be delighted if a fella messaged me :)

Having said that, its easy for us to all say go for it. It takes a Lot to put yourself out there.
    good luck with it if you do. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭chrisb1

Sure what have you to lose go for it and see what happens

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement